Best Mid/Long Range Weapon for NC Engi

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by TheFencer0, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Erendil

It's been a couple of weeks now since I last posted but I wanted do some in-game comparisons before I typed a response. I've been making a conscious effort to use the AC-X11 specifically in firefights that are 80m+. I've put several hours into it and racked up another 160 kills or so, 90% of which was in the desired range.

Plus I've spent maybe 3-4 hours in VR comparing its long range ability to the Razor (unfortunately I don't own the Razor so only long range comparisons I can really make are in VR). I'm hardly a master of either weapon but I certainly have a fresher and more pertinent experience with them than when this thread started.and I'm more convinced than ever that the AC-X11 is indeed a viable long range weapon.

I did want to touch a bit on what you said too, specifically the highlighted portion. You listed 4 things which when combined you feel precludes the AC-X11 from being a good at long range. Your opinion/experience with these points may be why we have a differing opinion.
    1. High Recoil - This is pretty much a non-factor for me. My top 2 NC and top 4 VS weapons are all long range weapons with higher recoil than the AC-X11. I've spent much of my time in-game trying to bend high-recoil weapons to my will, :cool: so I don't even notice the recoil on the AC-X11 and it doesn't cause me to miss shots until past 120m. Once you master the recoil you can use sustained fire with it (i.e. just holding down the fire button) and have all shots hit out to 80-90m, and use 6-8 shot bursts out to 140m. The fact that you have to resort to tap-firing at 70m makes me think that this may be the key difference between your opinion and mine when it comes to this weapon.
    2. Low RoF - If you look at the TTK you can see that this is completely mitigated by the higher damage per shot. The TTK of the AC-X11 is lower than the Razor's at all ranges. So if all shots hit, you will kill faster. Plus, once the distance is great enough that burst fire is necessary, Rof makes less of a difference and damage per shot becomes more important.
    3. Slow muzzle velocity - This can be an issue if they're quick enough to react to you before you kill them and if they are moving directly towards or away from you. If they dodge side-to-side but run laterally to your position, if they sit still, jump or crouch, or if they beeline it for the nearest cover the muzzle velocity should have almost no impact once you get the weapon's lead time down. That said, in the right situation it can cause slightly more issues with the AC-X11.
    4. Small Magazine - Same as the muzzle velocity, It's only an issue for long range firefights against targets at extreme range (past 140m) or who are actively dodging and whose evasive maneuvers appear to move laterally to your position. That said I do think that the AC-X11 needs another 5 rounds in its mag.
    So IMO only the last 2 should be an issue to an experienced player, and then only minor one during certain situations. #1 can be completely overcome over time with skill, and #2 is actually a point in the AC-X11's favor by virtue of its higher damage per shot.

Whether or not its a better long range weapon than the Razor though is not something I'm qualified to answer. The big question seems to be whether or not you can overcome the AC-X11's vertical recoil to land enough shots to stay competitive with the Razor. For me, the answer is yes.

So from what I can tell, the two weapons are close enough to each other in overall capability that I think personal preference and in-game mastery of both weapons in question play a much greater role in which one performs better at long range than the inherent ability of either weapon. I.E - I feel they're about the same in long range ability.

I will say this though. The Razor does seem like it would be a much easier weapon for a new player to use. It's definitely the easiest of the 3 weapons the OP asked about to just pick up fresh and start picking of long range targets. :cool:

I think my favorite is the Warden tho. But then I'm a Battle Rifle junkie :p (I own all three BRs and the Eidolon is my #2 weapon for kills across all weapons on all empires).
  2. CanadianAttackBeaver

If you get the certs or station cash, give the Razor a go. The AC-X11 was the first gun I got Auraxium with; with the Razor I bet I'll do it in half the time. Not needing the compensator allows more freedom on the Razor in terms of barrel attachments (the flash suppressor is massively under-rated), and with HVA, foregrip and a 4x scope you will (likely) find my experience holds true.

I respect your effort to feel out the AC-X11 and I would agree that it was meant to fill the long range carbine niche, IF we didn't also have the choice of the Razor. The Razor really is that much better. As you said though, it may simply be a matter of personal preference. I enjoy the AC-X11, but I find I only enjoy it in (my opinion) its mid-range niche.
  3. Rusky

I do very well with the Warden, using the Commissar as a side arm for those close encounters.

Since they added HVA to it it's really much more useful. Just try it out with the 4x scope and don't use it quite like a sniper rifle (ie. don't shoot and wait to see, shoot 3-4 shots in quick succession and you'll get a lot of kills at mid/long range).

ACX11, RazorGD both are good options if you prefer more auto fire though.
  4. Erendil

I'd love to try out the Razor in combat but since I already have both the Warden and AC-X11 I really can't justify spending the certs/Smedbucks on another weapon tailored towards long range combat. My passion for PS2 Battle Rifles has returned so I find myself turning to the Warden whenever I don Blue and Gold. Thus the only area of combat where I find my current arsenal a bit lacking is in CQC/short range which is not exactly the Razor's strong point. Perhaps one day when I have certs to spare I'll pick it up, but for the moment I'm afraid it's beyond my control. I'm sticking to the Warden. :cool:

I don't think I'd call either the Razor or AC-X11 "the" long range carbine though. I think both have a place in the NC arsenal as long range carbines since they're different enough in playstyle and effective combat ranges to give you a unique experience with each one. Rather I'd say the NC are unique in that they get two different options whereas the TR/VS only get one (T5 AMC and Pulsar C, respectively).

To the OP: Have you made any headway at all in your decision? Looking at your char in SOE's Players site it looks like you haven't purchased any of them yet.
  5. CanadianAttackBeaver

Fair enough. If you do ever try the Razor and get some attachments for it, post your thoughts. I'd be curious to see how you think it performs relative to the AC-X11.