[Suggestion] Best building defense strategy in the game: Spam AV weapons

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Killy80, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Killy80

Is there any reason in a biolab to not have everyone switch to HA and spam AV rockets constantly? This is the best strategy. AV weapons onehit kill on direct hit and do a crapload of damage with splash. They got a high reload time, but if your whole team does it, the reload time doesn't matter. Just need a tiny pocket engineer for the ammo.

If you are defending, you can lock down control point buildings by just having everyone constantly spamming AV rockets at the entrances. Yesterday, we held TI for like 2 hours by just spamming rockets. Everyone was racking up mad scores.

If you are attacking, you can clear rooms without entering them. Once you got the enemy at their spawn remotely, the new spawnrooms especially with the new balconies becomes a deathtrap because you are either directly hit from an AV or you die from splash damage from multiple AVs.

My suggestions to tone down infantry AV vs. infantry (it's anti-vehicle after all!):
    • AV weapons should not be able to damage health or at least do very little damage to it. If they directly hit you, your shield is gone. Splash damage removes a fraction of your shield. Why? Nanites.
    • Does not apply to MAX units as they do not have shields.
    • Make rockets (and grenades) get swallowed by the spawn room shields instead of exploding them. The nanites eat them.
    That way, spamming AVs still helps the team, but alone cannot lock down a building. Also you can't lock the enemy in their spawnroom that easily as they'd lose their shields, but still can exit (e.g. to the balcony in a biolab) fight back and can exit without being instagibbed by 1 or 2 rockets.
    (Oh, while at it remove flinch mechanics, but that's a different story)
    I know the next 20 answers will probably be from smartasses telling me everything is fine and L2P. Makes me sad :(
  2. Sifer2

Flak armor makes the damage on none direct hits pretty weak. Though I have always believed the ammo box should not refill explosives. I know rocket damage against vehicles is kind of balanced around sitting on top of an ammo box spamming rockets but I don't like it. Explosives shouldn't be able to be spammed. The huge buff they gave Flak armor just shows SOE knows its a problem but is lazy an don't want to do major rebalance to fix it.
    • Up x 1
  3. Killy80

With full flak armor, does a direct hit still kill?
  4. Nature

One decent LA with a shotty will clear rooms better and faster than rocket spam will ever hope to. Any half decent player with a gun will defend against infantry better than idiots spamming AV weapons. And any idiot spamming AV weapons against infantry defends just as well with guns. The only thing AV spam does is scare the zerglings enough to make the stop, but then again so does any other weapon that killed his buddies infront of him. Have not seen any situations where spamming AV weapons have been usefull against infantry and when I have seen them, I have done a better job alone with my LA.
  5. Killy80

Oh come on, not this lone wolf argument again. This is about a situation where most of the enemy or friendly team starts to spam AV. It's not about a single person shooting at you.

Try to enter a room with your LA that's rocketspammed from the inside.
  6. forkyar

I play the way I want,so no to your idea
  7. Sifer2

I believe so because Flak armor doesn't affect direct hits just splash damage. At least that's what I heard.
  8. zukhov

I have full flak and a direct hit will not kill you.
  9. Sifer2

That's interesting. I wonder if that's because the lock on variants do less damage though. I thought the Dumb Fires one shot Infantry Flak or no.
  10. Nature

Toss in a flashbang, jetpack in, shotung pellet in the faces of enemies. With any people following you have the room. Even easier with concussion nades, a few MAXes and/or EMP nades. Just deal with the fact that AV weapons are not that good against infantry. Unless you can make sure that you can shoot a rocket at at all the entrances at every millisecond so no one can slip thu, and if you have that many people inside a room, you could defend it better with guns.