Battle Rifles still junk

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by -CDL-Peacemaker, Feb 13, 2013.

1. -CDL-Peacemaker

Common. Seriously? These things need a serious go over. All three empires have the same rifle, they are all pretty UP. Might as well have been a common pool rifle. Id really like to see the Battle Rifles done over at least stats wise. My warden is pretty much the most regretted purchase. Not worth it. Mr Wisenhunt I am totally calling for ya here. Can we fix these guns so they arn't so gimped. Totally out performed by LMGs at medium range where they should shine.
    • Up x 10
  2. Gisgo

+1 buff the warden!
    • Up x 3
  3. Sifer2

Agreed I have been trying my hardest to use the TR version but it's just not that great a gun. The bullet is too slow to be a real long range weapon like it's meant to be. IMO give the thing scope sway like Snipers have but increase the bullet speed. Also unless the tracers are bugged I sometimes see shots go way off course from where I aimed even though i'm not moving when I fire it. So the consistency of the COF might need a look at too.
    • Up x 2
  4. Lambchopz

/signed. I'm usually a big fan of semi-auto rifles in other shooters, but the ones in PS2 are just too awful for even the biggest BR enthusiast to really enjoy right now.
    • Up x 1
  5. QuantumMechanic

I had more kills with my battle rifle than any other gun, last time I checked. But I sure as heck wouldn't mind seeing it buffed a bit.
  6. -CDL-Peacemaker

I for one think it needs to a much more powerful round. It really should be killing in like 4 bullets.
    • Up x 2
  7. Autarkis

Battle rifles are trash. Outclassed by other guns in every possible way.
    • Up x 3
  8. Wintermaulz

BR's are 25-60 meter wepons, they are not extreme range wepons, nor are they CQB wepons, that being said, I wouldn't mine them getting a bit more oomph.
  9. Sifer2

Yeah problem with that is your standard AR or LMG is better at those ranges. So basically the BR is useless.
    • Up x 3
  10. Wintermaulz

The only AR I would say that beats the BR is the SABER-13 (don't know the other faction equivalents), and that's really only because it can equip HV ammo. I have not tested out the long range LMGs, so I can't comment on that.
  11. Grotpar

What?
  12. Wintermaulz

What?
  13. Riekopo

Fix the Warden
    • Up x 1
  14. -CDL-Peacemaker

Did a lot of playing with the warden last night. Let me list the ways this thing is broken.

- First shot COF is not .0. It should be just like the SAW
    - 20 round mag with under powered rounds.
    - Muzzel Velocity is terribly low.
    - The recoil is up and to the right with the warden which is fine but I feel the guns recoil + COF make it very unintutive to put multiple rounds on target at medium range.
    - rounds have 250 damage to 10m after that it does 200 damage out to 85m. On paper that sounds good but when you can't land 7 rounds on a target at 50 meters you get frustrated. I think the damage needs to be upped into the 300 - 350 range. 350 @ 10 300 @ 85

I find my self hitting a target just enough for them to have a bar or two of health left. Don't even bother trying to shoot it out of you get hit while ADSing a target. The screen bump will make you miss every shot after. These rifles just don't have the damage, accuracy, or bullet velocity to compete with autos such as LMGs, ARs, and even some carbines. The massive recoil prevents you from landing enough shots, ROF is low, mag size is low. Doing everything I suggested might make them OP but pick and choose some of these and we might have our selfs a good gun. I find it more likely that all these changes will be need. Defiantly needs more damage and a faster round though. Recoil is substantially too high, I've got a grip and comp on it and it still goes all over ( I assume because of its terribad COF)
    • Up x 3
  15. Grotpar

Right now I think just bumping up the damage would be enough to make them okay.

While potential accuracy and velocity can be a problem, damage is just the biggest problem for me.
    I've used the Pandora as a battle rifle, using slugs and a 4x scope, and it worked alright, though not ideal because this weapon has terrible accuracy and velocity.

I would imagine that giving the BRs more damage, would be enough to make them viable.
    If not, they can always be buffed further.

We must avoid overbuffing. Especially when it comes to semi-automatic weapons, which have been highly problematic in the past with semi-automatic sniper shotguns.
    • Up x 2
  16. AnuErebus

I really love the idea of battle rifles. My favorite guns in games almost always end up being semi-automatic weapons that have. I've trialed the AMR a few times but it's never been a particularly great rifle by my standards. It has the description of something I would like but lacks the ability. I'd love to see these guns get a bit of a buff. Then I might actually purchase one.

That and if they ever give these to LAs... But that's probably just wishful thinking.
    • Up x 1
  17. QuantumMechanic

Damage-wise the battle rifle for all three empires is effectively identical. I did a test a while back where I shot my flash until it blew up on each faction character, from roughly the same distance. And all 3 characters blew up the flash in the exact same number of shots (30 as I recall).
  18. R-A-B

I love mine on my engineer. But then I suppose it is still far superior for medium-long rage combat over the trac. I can see why for the heavy it seems like a straight downgrade but still I wouldn't not go so far to say it is a bad gun.
  19. -CDL-Peacemaker

I have no problems downing a target at 50m with some of the carbines the BRs though... Just doesn't have enough stopping power. I really feel it needs 3 things. Damage buffs, velocity buffs, and a COF buff (COF blooms too much and it needs .0 first shot)
  20. R-A-B

If you have just trailed it I recommend (If you have the option) trying it with forward grip and a compensator. I find that helps an awful lot. After that I really think its down to playstyle rather than the gun being bad.
    • Up x 1