Balancing ZoE module of Vanu max

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by MrGurrenLemfox, May 11, 2013.

1. MrGurrenLemfox

There are no Berserk ability that can be toggle on and off, it needs charge timer, make it the effect last 1 minute and each level add to 1 minute with the last level of 5 minute, BUT dont take any ability that they already have now , the damage increase is fine, the speed is awesome, Fix the hit registration and ADAD ZoE max is fine.......still the pink is kinda
  2. gigastar

Fabulous?
    • Up x 8
  3. Loegi

I agree with it needing a limiter of sorts, but I also think that the movement increase is too much. Such a small frame moving so fast means you can avoid too much.
  4. Xasapis

Personally I'd drop the damage portion completely and leave the rest as is.
    • Up x 1
  5. felfox

You mean less than infantry speed? The proper values for this power are meant to be just slightly less than infantry but people exploited a bug where the values would be added on top of the sprint speed thus making you go way faster than infantry. This is a bug, people abused it and thanks to some... particularly... people, they got everyone to think this was intended when it's not.
  6. Whiteagle

Well if they can fix the top speed exploit, I'd also add a Gravity Reduction so you bounce around like your on the Moon.
    It's both a Mobility Buff and Nerf at the same time!
  7. Shockwave44

Then you'll just complain about bunny hopping.
    • Up x 2
  8. Shockwave44

Last 5 minutes? So we can't turn it off for up to 5 minutes? I'm confused how this is supposed to work.
  9. Thrud007

....still the pink is kinda
    lame
    • Up x 2
  10. felfox

Give it a 1 second wind up, keep the hexa-grid energy field, change the pink to teal (or remove it) create thruster effects under the 'heel' of the feet and from the back and have the entire suit rise half a foot off the ground. Remove the damage portion, keep the armour penalty, keep the very high speed but add some rather heavy momentum sliding as the suit now moves like a glider off the ground. Give it double jump height and then on deactivation, make it a 2 second cool down as the suit comes to a halt, thrusters turn off and suit makes a weee-ooooo noise before letting you continue on your way regularly.
    • Up x 2
  11. Nogrim313

why should it have a 5 min timer when neither of the other two have any cool down?

if anything when engaged it takes 1-2 seconds for it to reach the full speed bonus, and can't be deactivated until its at full power (and the vice versa with turning it off)

speed/damage would be effected by this wind up/down (the laser tracers would start as soon as it is activated and stop when deactivated)
    but the resistance penalty starts when full powered up and ends when fully cooled down (the visual effect would be tied to the armour penalty)

as is, it not bad although the damage buff isnt really doing much and is more or less just something on paper the forums can cry nerf about, id still rather change the extra damage to extra accuracy or just remove it all together
  12. Ranik

Because TR/NC ablilities have real downsides?

TR lose all mobility, NC lose all offense. VS lose 20% armor before any armor upgrades...... Oh dear god how horrible.... :rolleyes:
    • Up x 2
  13. Shockwave44

It's funny, I have seen no videos of the lockdown being used at all yet everyone just assumes its bad.
  14. Whiteagle

Heh, that's the genius part, Grav Reductions nerf bunny hoping by making you fall slower!
    You go from hopping up and down out of fire to slowly lofting into it.
  15. ChaosReaperr

I've started reading these forums in the past couple days for the first time and have been noticing that you are an extremely snarky poster.

You mix data with exaggerated personal opinions and treat them like they are equal. You also roll your eyes a lot.

Mixing fact and fiction in my opinion is possibly worse than being full of fiction. At least then it would be clear you are just sharing an opinion that you feel passionate about and don't really have a desire to be objective... instead you throw out some good researched numbers and use that as the supposed weapon for your highly opinionated and exaggerated personal attacks and views.

You think 20% armor reduction and turning into the pink ranger with a kick me sign on your face isn't a big downside... we get that. Your data doesn't objectively imply it isn't a big downside on the other hand, the data is just that... data.

Just because some people think a 20% armor reduction and the pink effect is in fact a big enough downside... and you don't... doesn't mean they are eye roll worthy, simply that you disagree, which does in fact happen and as adults we need to be able to fact that people don't agree on the impact of things.

At least be honest about opinion vs fact, share them in an honest way and please try to treat people a little more respectful.

In regards to the OP: I think a MAX with jump jets would be too much of a detractor for the LA class... possibly too much of a unique ability for one faction to have.

Currently we have

Upsides
    1) More damage
    2) More speed

Downsides
    1) Less defense
    2) Obvious visual cue

My personal suggestions are pretty modest, but simply tweaking what there is currently.

Lower the damage and/or speed and remove or lessen the visual cue.
    Raise damage, lower speed, increase defense penalty...

I think defense penalty being tied to the damage bonus makes sense... more damage bonus means you take more damage, seems like a fair tradeoff. so maybe crank that up to make it more dramatic in both directions. Basically turning you into a glass cannon, possibly with activation/deactivation time limits that make sense so you can't toggle too fast.

More speed being tied to the visual cue makes sense to me as well... you can move faster but you become very obvious... I think a minor speed debuff could be fine... anything major should probably come with lessening the visual effect too though.

You can also remove one pair and just leave it damage <-> defense, or just speed <-> visual... or speed <-> defense... Nothing new, but I think minor changes are the safest and the concept behind this isn't impossibly difficult to make useful and not OP.
    • Up x 2
  16. Ranik

FACT: I've had to actually take time to repeatedly tell people they are using incorrect information or outright lying. Which is pretty much my number one reason for being so snarky about the damn ZOE.

You can only keep hearing "But we take double damage" for so long.
  17. ChaosReaperr

I've observed and respect that... in fact before reading your response to the person you posted it to I thought of your post correcting that misinformation; however, crusading to educate the masses by treating them like idiots simply detracts from your own validity.

People having wrong info !== your opinion being objectively right

I do mostly agree with your previously suggested improvements to ZOE though albeit I'd temper them a bit.
    • Up x 1
  18. Ranik

The problem came when I actually made a video to show it was incorrect and the immediate result was attempts to minimize the buffs significance.

"We take double damage"

"No you don't and here's a video showing the fact"

"Well 15-25% damage boost and 50% movespeed really isn't that big of a buff"

It immediately changed from "Oh our downside is huge" to "Well our buffs aren't that big of a deal"

And where I come from, that's called moving the goalpost and not really being honest...

Facing the actual facts. ZOE is still probably the most useful and best overall MAX ability by a good margin. It's downside can be actively mitigated via armor (though to what extent I'm not sure due to stacking effects of ZOE and armor mods)

The people who claim that the 20% armor reduction and pink glow make up for the current bonuses seem to be rather avidly defending it for little reason than they are VS...
  19. ChaosReaperr

Or purely self interest. Many people will defend an ability, not matter the numbers, from being nerfed since they simply don't want it to be lessened in any way.

I have (and you must have seen this as well) a lot of VS post here that they think ZOE is useless and pointless. Whether they're right or not, I don't know, but there are definitely more than VS blindly defending it.

Also a common sentiment is that the damage is pointless and many are advocating removing the damage bonus.

Again it's not as clear cut as you are making it sound... a few blindly rally, but many have had much more to say.
  20. Ranik

When have I said it was a simple matter. I have only used the facts we have, which are simple enough to test.

The damage bonus is not significant vs infantry as infantry have a short TTK to begin with. It is more significant in the AV/AA department.

And to be frank, anyone saying the buffs the ZOE currently gets, at the cost of less armor (which can be counteracted) is quite possibly someone who has never actually tested it.

The results from the test server playtests yielded a good bit of ZOE spam. And it was more than effective at that...