balance tanks

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by VeryCoolMiller, Feb 21, 2017.

1. JonnyBlue

Truest words I've heard all-day on these forums and 100% correct , The C4 argument is just mute , If an LA manages to circumnavigate all the opposing infantry and that's a big if and they finally get in position to drop there load they still have to avoid top gunners not from the tank there targeting but also from other tanks and lighter vehicles.

Lightning , Prowler , Harasser are the top killers in the game consistently Along with HA and Sniper there's are reason why people play these classes and no amount of BS from salty vets will change that fact.
    When you play an MMO there are 2 distinct type of players those that have fun and those who play for stats funny how I never see fun players with low BR playing tanks but always the Vets always above BR100 the vast majority.

How can you balance a combined arms game? You cant its as simple as that Vehicles will always have more hp more firepower than a lonely infantrymen its common sense but that doesn't mean to say you cant limit them on the battlefield DB need to increase the Nanite costs way above what they are now to the state where you can pull a MBT or Lib once every hour that would be the common sense attitude but that's not going to happen as every stat padder would cry into there cornflakes and proberly quit the game.
  2. Demigan

Well you can balance a combined arms game with vehicles. It's to do with the roles everything plays and how the game is structured. Currently vehicles have just about two roles: Make room for the Sunderer to be deployed, murder infantry. Murdering infantry is a very bad role, as it means that the lionshare of the players are getting screwed over by something they can hardly fight back against. It also means that the moment you nerf the murdering infantry role that all vehicle players feel screwed over as their role is diminished.
    Additionally the way the game is structured isn't very good either. Ideally vehicles are fighting vehicles most of the time. In reality the moment one team wins the vehicle fight you can place a Sunderer and prevent new vehicles from being spawned or making a good push, and organising a new vehicle attack from a previous base takes too much time and effort compared to keeping a vehicle push going not to mention that you already lost the vehicle battle once, so you'll likely lose it again.

How to remedy this? One way to do it is make the game incredibly lethal between infantry and vehicles. Vehicles have their OHK weapons as well as a slew of powerful co-ax guns and abilities that can mulch infantry, think of simply being able to equip unlocked Carbines and LMG's into your Co-ax gun and having increased elevation ranges. At the same time, infantry get a ton of new toys that can heavily damage and potentially kill vehicles. Preferably these will all be placed into the utility slot. That means that the costless infantry-AV weapons remain as a very very weak backup, and the utility versions will be able to actually combat vehicles in a resource vs resource battle.
    Additionally by creating new roles. The PTS already has this in the form of vehicular capture points. One Biolab is transformed to benefit from Player Made Bases (PMB's) to fortify the almost barren area and has several vehicle capture-points to fight over as well as infantry capturepoints that are build in a cave-like system inside the ground. Additionally they've created vehicle capture points that are tied to a spawn bunker, allowing players to capture a spawnpoint that supports their attack or defense against the enemy. This is one example of vehicular roles that can be expanded so that combined arms is enhanced and playing both vehicles and infantry is enjoyable.
    Now imagine more roles for vehicles: Being able to place a vehicle on a pad and you'll power some defenses for your team, either to make it easier to attack or to defend from enemy incursions. Alternatively some places could allow you to power down defenses, allowing you to easily destroy enemy Sunderers or get to the points. Also let's not forget that if vehicles and infantry are relatively evenly matched (taking into consideration the amount of infantry vs vehicles as well as the support that the vehicles can/should receive during good combined arms) you can start removing most walls around bases, allowing vehicles to actually drive into the base again and join the combat.
  3. HisokaTheRed

I have no idea why it does this, normal tick rate on Imgure but it slows down when I post it on the forum.
  4. Direlithe

Because there's a massive amount of textwall laid at my feet and it makes me feel like I'm back in school trying to find the thesis statement in a 20 page pleonasm essay written by a fellow classmate.

Um, you clearly take issue with tanks on the battlefield, and have 100001 things to say on the matter. 1. you make it sound like you run to every base, and 2. it appears that you want tanks nerfed to the point that they are made of paper and shoot pillows at you, 3, tanks are op and you hate them with a passion.

Honestly, all we're doing is derailing this thread. Out of respect for the OP, I'm willing to continue this conversation on a thread relevant to its subject, if you ever decide to make one. My word of advice is, less words is more, and it pays to be direct, clear and concise.
  5. AlexR

Ahahahahah! Oh wow! Buffing the vanguard! Thanks for a nice joke, good one! Ahahah prowler can outdps vanguard, daaamn! On papers only. Have you ever played in it? Yeah, anchor is making prowler strong, but in tank gameplay it is usually worthless. Time to stop, activate it (it also gamebreak-style so you sometimes just cant deploy because of some kind microscopoc movements game detects due to cool physics) and even then there is some time before prowler can start shooting shells fast. Or you can gladly wait and stand still while i'm deploying, would be nice. After all that you'll mostly find yourself at 50-60% health while vanguard is still at 100, thanks to I-WIN button. So what next? Plus you become stationary, so anyone can just dance to your butt for that extra damage. So op, right? Damn, these complaints about prowlers anchor mode make me sick. Prowler is not good at face-to-face instant battles. At all! The only role it can perform is camping from a safe place and hoping no one will suddenly pop up for fight close enough and your targets will not move behind cover. So its the best tank for dealing with deployed sunderers. Tank vs tank field fight ballance benefits vanguard, how can you even cry about that?
    And yes, i"ve tried it as well. Had a stock vanguard with stock ap and first lvl shields. Driving around and shredding prowlers was so laughable easy.
    Ahaha buff the vanguard, can't believe you are not trolling, just can't!
  6. Campagne

No, I'm afraid it's been proven. There's video evidence here on the forums somewhere, but I'm sure anyone could find it on YouTube.

It doesn't take half of a second to deploy.

If anyone here was trying to pull someone's leg I'd think it was you. :p
  7. AlexR

What are you talking about? Video evidences, what? Go try it yourself. Maybe this will be new to you, but after prowler is deployed it's still shooting at his normal speed/reload for some time, the anchor mode is not affecting anything but moving ability after activated. Annoying as hell, why would it even be delayed? Thats stupid and making anchor in a sudden fight really bad. Other tanks can use their ability just on keypress, lucky you.
  8. Campagne

Your bait is weak son.

Gotta step up your game mange!
  9. Demigan

If I don't text-wall, players tend to assume the worst. Well they assume the worst anyway, but that way I can say "well it's right there".

Ehm, I clearly don't. You are just trying to fit me in a stereotype that doesn't fit me.
    Now I do take issue with tanks on the battlefield. They don't have enough roles to play, and the roles they do play are bad for the balance.
    I don't make it sound like I run to every base, that's just your stereotype speaking. And I don't want to nerf tanks till they are made out of paper and shoot pillows, in fact if you read anything you would notice I would be upgrading tanks immensely.
  10. TR5L4Y3R

Roles of tanks?

lightning default AI bombardment
    AA with skyguard (still needs some slight buff imo)
    AT/AV with AP

MBT's are primarily antivehicle (and probably anti-playermade-base) ... their secondary either allows for focus on AV or give it flexibility torwards AI or AA ..

Harrasers are good for what the name suggests ... harrasing ..
    and as someone who likes to set up bases (even though yet to have to unlock the important stuff) i got harrased a lot by them
    they are primarily good vs ai but also have the flexibility torwards aa or av .. even more so with a max on the back

flashes are rather quick and cheap transport but they can be used for taking down the occasional non HA infantry best used i think with cloak ... i personaly just wouldn't use them against other vehicles ...

so imo vehicles have already well defined roles ... i think it's just more about terrain or bases allowing for those roles to function well ..
  11. TR5L4Y3R

imo the biggest problem i see many times happening is that whenever there are vehicles or aircraft involved players often don't react properly to them when they have difficulties getting vehicles of their own .. i don't often see people switching to HA's, maxes or engineers (for ammo and rep) .. so people don't realy bother as a team to focus them down even though they actualy have the default options to do so .. if as a lone tank you try to battle a group of say 4 people having say 2 HA's and a max with an engineer .. you may eat more rockets faster than you could focus each of them down .. as infantry you simply need the nummerical advantage and a bit of spread to deal with a mbt or lightning ..

the other problem is when a spawnpoint gets surounded ... then honestly for the most part you may have already lost and might be better of redeploying to get a push going from outside the base you try to defend .. this is also a bit of a weird mentality to stuborningly keep spawning despite being in a very clear disadvantage instead of regrouping
    .. other than that the devs may think about giving defenders maybe more ways to spawn in a different area or through other means to spread over a base without being immidiately being taken down ..
  12. Zuprize

The only buff I want for tanks is that if you use proxy radar, vehicles using stealth will be detected in the 50m radius.
  13. FateJH

35 meters, which is the same as Proximity Radar 2.
    I'd rather not completely diffuse the benefits of one module over the other when they interact.
  14. Zuprize

Stealth gives lockon time increase which is a + compared to proxy radar, althou I would not mind it even if it was 35 meters.
    There's just not enough benefit to run proxy radar compared to stealth and for me at least proxy doesn't work all the time with infantry.
    If I would to put a bet 9 out of 10 players that have certed their vehicles have stealth.