AV mines should be weight triggered

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Talizzar, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Talizzar

Not tossed. Dumb mechanics.
  2. Harry Beavers

No offense but that's a terrible idea. Proximity mines are a much better mechanic imo.

1. Mines cost 2x75 resources = 150 resources and the vehicle would be forced to drive over that exact spot. It requires both mines to be effective.

2. Limited choke points in this game

3. Not tossing mines means using deployment. Deployment is a VERY buggy feature that requires no objects in it's sphere of influence, a flat surface, and it can still be interrupted. Hence why the mines were reverted back to their original state.

Solutions to your problem?

A. Get Mine Guard

B. Pay attention when someone spots an enemy engineer

C. Defend your vehicle

~Cheers
  3. Pockets

You are right, they should be weight triggered. That way they blow up our own vehicles too and never go off under magriders.
    • Up x 2
  4. Hoki

Nah, I like someone else's idea where the mines are activated by their hatred for the enemy.
  5. Hoki

Oh yeah also mineguard causes mines to do 15% damage to a sunderer. You could literally ignore engineers then, just get mineguard.
  6. Pockets

That was mine.
  7. Talizzar

The way mines fields work in real life is that they are known to the allied side....Usually. So no.

Throwing mines/c4 is just poor game design.
  8. Nuubo

The location of Infantry is also usually known to allied side, that doesnt mean there are zero deaths to friendly vehicles....

If you make AT mines weight triggered, the Magriders would be immune to them, because they "levitate". And friendly vehicles would trigger them, just like Pockets wrote in his post.

You cant have "weight triggered but work on Mags too, but not on friendlies" just because you want it :p
  9. JimBobRedneck

In a setting that involves warp gates, cloning technology, force shields and particle/plasma weaponry, "real life" has little bearing.

That said, even current technology includes much more than pressure triggers. There's seismic triggers, magnetic triggers and others. Look at AA flak. It's a small mine that's shot at planes. When it detects something of big enough mass (an aircraft), it explodes.
  10. Talizzar

Regardless of the arguments, tossing mines and C4 is poor.
  11. Marzipanzer

Regardless of how poorly you argue, you're still wrong.
  12. Jimmy DeSouza

Yes, if we are talking about bloody world war 2.

Modern mines have a massive array of proximity fuses and IFF available to them, and this game is set almost a millenia in the future.

Of course, you still get cheap "pressure/tilt" mines, but they are almost entirely unused now due to international law and thier after effects.

Friendlies are still made aware of minefields, that is true of course (always a risk with explosives and all that). But claiming that all mines are dumbfire pressure mines is silly.
  13. Ghostfox

Only if you let us lay actual mine fields and reduce the cost of mines.
  14. silverme

you are right we should have to pull out a shovel and dig a hole, place them carefully, before activating the arming device and then finally, rebury them.
    and I would be all for this if; A) mines where impossible to detect without prober equipment. B) mines persisted until they're triggered(or defused) c) we could deploy more.

but in all seriousness, what do you want them to do? add a special animation of an engineer placing mines? or use a system that makes it impossible to place mines on 90% of the map?

and as for 'weight triggered'. Have you not seen Jurassic Park? if a dinosaur can sake that ground so that you can track its movements via puddles. then how close do you think a 60 ton tank has to be to a mine to trigger it? particularly if a 1/2 ton quad can trigger it.
  15. SmileyBomb

They just fixed mines by UN-fixing them. Leave them the hell alone and enjoy the carnage.
    • Up x 2
  16. GamingCthulhu

Well considering this are future mines that use a friend or foe identification system they work just fine. Also we're talking about mines that are created from nano technology why shouldn't I be able to just grab it chuck it the 6 inches in front of me and be done. If I have to actually deploy it then it better well be buried in the ground and undetectable without a vehicle scanner cert.

Additionally making them have to be deployed means you can't even really put them anywhere besides a road because the surfaces have to be flat. Most vehicles park themselves on slopes to remain hidden and the only places you could drop mines before was so far out of the way either in between battle lines or so far behind they were just blown up by cannon blasts. It was a real waste of points.
  17. Aelloon

Actually they recently changed deployables in general. It works much better now!
  18. InducedApathy

deployables work a ton better now. Thankfully they also reverted the changes to mines as well. The idea of weight triggering is a horrible one though.
  19. flipmoomonkey

Stop feeding the troll, it won't do you any good.
  20. Goodkat

Complaints about mines are invalid unless the complainer has mineguard.
    • Up x 1