AT Mines are too hard to see now...

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by PastalavistaBB, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Botji

You would really have to lower the price on them then, no way am I going to spend 75 res on them if they are only meant for a short stop for tanks, I mean they will even get xp for getting rid of my mines... possibly as much or even more than I got for the tank that ran one over :/

If they had to use special equipment to find and disarm them with an engineer instead of just QQ-ing all over the place and then shooting them, sure.. that might be worth it since its then possible to kill the engineer trying to disarm them and would be a more meaningfull stop, also forcing some engineers to perhaps sacrifice the turret for a "mine detector".

I feel there is almost nothing wrong with the current mines, the sinking into the ground is bad(lost some tanks to this myself) and mines AOE is still not working as it should. 2 mines placed on the side of Sunderers/MBTs only put them to around 50% damage instead of killing them. Sunderers placed on small rocks or tree roots can be almost immune against mines, you have to place them right where the Sunderer is touching the ground otherwise you will need a small mountain of mines to blow it up! :(
  2. Taemien

Wouldn't have to reduce the price at all. 2-3 meters is still close enough to outright kill a non-mineguarded sundy-tank barreling through. My idea was for a column being somewhat cautious. And if they are, they have to find each mine and shoot them. Shooting one mine won't blow the others up.
  3. Takoita

I they were given a placement restrictions, mining narrow passages that are still wide enough for tanks and sunderers in Nott's walls (for example) could become a problem then. And even if it won't, what's the purpose of a mine trap would be if all it could do is stop a tank for ~5 seconds of repair?

No, I'd say their current level of lethality is 'just right'.
    • Up x 1
  4. PastalavistaBB

Yesterday I dropped 3 AT Mines on an empty road with no fighting going on, just to see what'll happen. Half an hour later I got a Sunderer kill "Extreme Menace Kill". There really should be a degeneration time for AT Mines. (10-15 Minutes maybe?) And once a base falls, all deployed enemy explosives in the region should get disarmed. Or this game will turn into "Mineside 2" very quickly.
  5. Goretzu

Even when they are right under a sunderer, someone always shoots them when I'm disarming them. :D
  6. FaLI3N

This is the wrong idea. Tank mines should be mines not something you run in and shove near a tank hoping it reverses on to it. Despawn times would ruin them, all they need to do is fix the mines sinking into terrain and i'll be a happy chappy. As a tanker the current size is fine.
    • Up x 2
  7. DocteurVK

The only real "problem" with mines is when they are used as shaped charges and detonated under sundies with a nade...

The clipping issue also affected AI mines for a while, making them render under the ground but still detonate when you pass them... I belive they'll correct it soon.

And remember that you can only drop 3 mines per player, avane when carrying 5 (unless I'm outdated on this).

3 mines are a very low amount, you can barely trap a bridge or a road...

TL-DR : Drive offroads, 95% of AT mines are placed on roads and bridges (and also just in front of vehicle pads)
  8. Predator01cz

Everyone's arguing about mines and I'm just sitting here in my Liberator.

Tank Mines are fine but will be nerfed/buffed again and again because people will always QQ no matter what.
  9. Ttariel

Can you give us engis 1 week of no ********? At least for a little time after months of tank minens not exploding, not dealing damage, no AOE, not triggering on sundi etc.
  10. DeadlyPeanutt

does anyone get kills with tank mines? i've never seen it. as an engie main, i don't feel that they're worth my certs.

like AP mines, which tickle when they blow up.... never lost any health to AP mines (of course i'm fully flack certed)
  11. acksbox

I've been killed with tank mines, and am forced to abandon vehicles other times. It's not exactly common, but they are far from useless.

I think they are mostly fine.

I'd have made them bigger, but I'd also allow them to be buried (and thus even less visible). Current size seems like a good compromise.
  12. vanu123

No they are where they should be.
    • Up x 1
  13. cruczi

Oh, so many times... Awesome things they are. You just have to know how to use them. They work even better now that they are so small. I have about 85K XP from 614 mines placed of which 144 did damage. So yeah not a huge percent hit, costing about 300 resources for one mine to do damage, but it's by far my biggest infantry resource drain and I'm usually 40/40 on everything (I don't play as MAX).

If you drive a Lightning, you can use them as traps for enemy MBT's. Cover up your escape path and when you find a tank, bait it into chasing you.

Often I manage to kill an MBT by placing the mines while being hidden from view due to the smoke and fire from my destroyed vehicle
    • Up x 1
  14. drNovikov

Now let us bury them and make them actually invisible and dangerous. I'd like to spend some time with my engie tool.
  15. drNovikov

Even when the mines were not too underpowered, there were no "mineside". Mines shouldn't degenerate, because tanks don't do so. Also, look up minefields in PS1.
    • Up x 1
  16. Adeon

Mineguard will help you.
    • Up x 1
  17. PastalavistaBB

[IMG]
  18. Adeon

I didn't watch this video before answer.
  19. Ryekir

You mean they actually work like AT mines now (again)? Heaven forbid they are actually useful in their intended role...

An engineer can only drop 3 mines (5 if he has Utility Pouch), which means 1.5 (or 2.5) "instagib" traps that might have the possibility of getting a kill at some point (or might be a complete waste of resources) if a vehicle happens to drive over it (and doesn't have mineguard, which is the cheapest defense slot item). Mines are traditionally laid in "mine fields" in an effort to deny the enemy access to a particular area, or at least slow them down; with only 5 mines available, that simply isn't possible (and even if it was, it would take less then 5 seconds for a tank to clear a minefield and then keep moving)

And they have no indication of whether or not (or how many) mines are still active. Perhaps some infantry guy spotted them and blew them up, you have no idea. They're more often then not a waste of resources.

I have an Auraxium medal with my AT mines, so yes, it is possible to get kills with them.
    • Up x 1
  20. TomDRV

Nope they're fine, consider yourself lucky SOE don't make them completely submerged and give all Engineers metal detectors. -_-