AT Mines are too hard to see now...

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by PastalavistaBB, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Pondera

Seems to me that these are effective tools to slow down an advancing enemy column. They're working as if the factions themselves designed them to truly be effective, rather than a fair implementation of balance from the developers.
    • Up x 1
  2. Goretzu

I'm thinking this is happening or happening more (or they just aren't rendering).

Twice recently I've been hit by AV mines now at slow speed that I swear weren't visible.

In the latter case I actually saw the guy dropping them, looked at the area very carefully, thought he must have not dropped them as I could see nothing, then slowly moved forward and hit one, got out repaired, looked for the second, couldn't see it, moved forward slowly and hit the second one. :D

Something fishy is up with them IMO.
  3. Goretzu

The problem with that is everytime you try to do that (instead of just shooting them) - even if you're the only person on the continent, someone turns up the second you start :D - , someone destroys them whilst you're doing it, at best damaging you, at worst killing you.
  4. LordCreepy

1 sunderer with mineguard, 2 prox repair and an ams with blockade nothing really changed..
  5. lyravega

The size is FINE. The problem is, them sinking into the ground sometimes.
    • Up x 4
  6. Dakster

I rather think that Mines should be hard to see and wouldnt mind them dropping into the ground if you could cert into mine detector that would tell you when you were say within 5-10 meters of a mine. you could then take appropriate action, of course certing into mine detector would be taking up a utlity slot which might not be that worthwhile, maybe if we could have more than 1 utlity slot?
  7. Cinnamon

They are definitely sometimes clipping under the terrain so they become invisible.

It's been said for a while that they are individually too powerful and it is wrong that they can be stacked on top of each other for an instant kill.

Ideally they should be the size they are but maybe triggering one should disarm others in a certain radius and you should get 6 instead of 3 with something like 50% current damage. Then the clipping would be less of an issue and mine fields would be more intelligent gameplay.
  8. axiom537

I love them...In fact i will go one better and say that we should not be limited in putting down only 3 at a time. If an Engineer wants to blow through his Infantry resources, then let them set out up to 9.

Since they added Dark Light, maybe they can do the same thing with head lights, which if you run around with your head lights on they will reflect or something...
  9. Korban

Yeah but I was expecting something like this:
    [IMG]
  10. AgentSpades

AT mines are fine, the fact that they actually blow up things now more often should be a testament to that.
    • Up x 2
  11. BetaBravo

seeing that tank mines in rl are usually buried just below the surface, making them very difficult to see. The only thing I wouldnt mind seeing is a slightly longer time to deploy/bury them.
  12. Metallic123

When they were ginormous my only kills with them were the occasional flash I put in front of vehicle bays. It's nice they actually function again.
  13. Posh_Diggory

Mineguard isn't even needed if you know how to look for them... lol
  14. Korban

Except most of the time they are sunk into the ground
  15. GhostAvatar

I have not seen AT mines, or any other mine for that matter, clipping into the ground for many months. It isn't uncommon for SOE to re-add bugs after fixing them, but that is usually within a few weeks of fixing the bug, not months afterwards. So I will believe this when I see it.
    • Up x 2
  16. Korban

Yeah like the BASR glitched reload animation when in scoping.
  17. Posh_Diggory

But surely that will be fixed.... surely.
  18. Korban

Ya know!.................I mean how can they be 'sunked' into the ground??? The terrain physics don't even have the soggy mud effect. There isn't a single drop of rain on Indar (Although technically the mines could have been buried by a localised sandstorm on Indar or blizzard on Esamir) but no! we don't have that scale of complexity on the server maps (Seriously, the ground terrain coding itself should should be more solid).
  19. lyravega

Understandable mate. I said that because 5 mines I dropped, 3 of them sunk to the ground the other day. And I stepped on one, but I'm 100% sure there was nothing (can be seen) on the road; in fact, some people following me stepped on additional mines, which made me question whether or not there was a bug or not, as they drove on the exactly same path with me.

My conclusion at that point was, either they were invisible or they don't trigger all the time, or both. When I dropped some mines myself and saw that some sunk to the ground, I made these posts on this topic.
  20. Taemien

Well to be honest, mines aren't being buried so Q works as a mine sweeper. Deconstructing the mine is great only for the fact that if a deployed sundy has mines placed under it. You can deconstruct them without damage to the sundy.

But mine sweeping is easily done with Q. Yeah they are smaller now, but still not hard enough to spot or suspect they are there (if cleverly placed) to warrant me using Mineguard. Thus I still think they are UP, even if they do the job they are designed for.

Back when mines exploded on unmoving vehicles. Yeah Mineguard was worth it. I'm not suggesting to move mines back to that. But I'm illustrating that was the only time mineguard was worth getting. Buffing damage on mines isn't worth it and would cause other issues.

But I wouldn't mind seeing Engineers able to carry 6 mines each (double the amount certs unlock). But restrict the placement of mines to a 2m or 3m distance from each other. This way minefields could be placed that would slow down an advance, and maybe make mineguard useful for a lead vehicle to help detect and mitigate their use. But with the placement restriction, you couldn't put clusters of three together in two locations to annihilate two vehicles.

The idea is for a group of tanks to be rolling in and then Pop! One mine goes off and the tank quickly backs up, running into another tank and causing a traffic jam. And then they spend some time hunting for other mines, knowing full well there is 6-18 of them scattered all over, possibly.

I'd also give the engie a exp bonus for mines damaging armor, sort of like the AA bonus flak and missiles get against air. If you want to give that to heavies and C4 too, go for it if fairness is a concern.