At it stands, I do not feel Infiltrator cloaking is "broken". Please take a moment to review.

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by NeonTiger, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Fethrion

Cloak used to be BAD before the last fix. Like... in Medium/High it was visible. But it was still possible for airheads and idiots not to notice you. Now the cloak is TERRIBAD, every single noob WILL see you, you could as well scream HELLO I'M THERE. Anyone who thinks different clearly doesn't play the same game or is horribly biased (maybe got headshotted one time too much?).
  2. OldOnyx

[IMG]

This isn't broken?
    • Up x 2
  3. NeonTiger

Yes, it is, but it's also an inaccurate representation of how cloak is functioning, and quite frankly, a bad infiltrator.

Tell me, do you really want a game in which a cloaked player can sprint across the road 10 meters from you and you still can't see him?
    • Up x 1
  4. zenosarrow

Well said, I at least enjoyed it before, the limited amount of time and the need to be aware of whether or not the sound would give you away was a welcome challenge. It was good enough to sneak through the no mans land and at close range it could at least trick the eye. Anyone who really wanted to find you could do so, cloaked, crouched, didn't matter. Having a scope like the IR/NV that makes all players, cloaked infiltrators included, glow bright white is the perfect counter for infiltrators, and it gives people with low settings a viable option to counter the class without sacrificing performance, or having to upgrade their system.

I have always argued that the cloak was just fine, and the class was effective and fun to play. Now I don't feel that way and it really bums me out. There are lots of changes we could suggest, but I really think just going back to the way it was makes the most sense.
  5. Ztiller

Because people are not allowed to change their opinion when presented with evidence?
  6. Dr. Euthanasia

I do, if I can be as certain that he won't be able to harm me without sufficient advance warning as he is that he'll be able to get past me undetected by the naked eye.

100% effective, mobile invisibility is easily balanced through resource management and heavy drawbacks like the weapons lock, fade-out timer, and decloaking sound. It also creates no problems based on graphics settings and, with the introduction of tools designed to counter cloaking, opens up the possibility to inform the Infiltrator that he's being detected in a way which is impossible when detection is a matter of human perception and eyesight - two things which cannot be represented in-game - instead.

I don't know why so many of you are terrified of a stealth mechanic which is actually reliable.
  7. zenosarrow

If you're replying to what I think you are replying to, I'm not saying he's not allowed to change his opinion, I'm saying he's deliberately lying. Pretending to be an advocate of the infiltrator in order to serve his own agenda.
  8. Ztiller

Or maybe he simply looks at the proof he have and makes his own conclusion. Jesus, not everything is a conspiracy against infiltrators.

"agenda."

It's a bloody game, not world politics.

I was opposed to the changes before i read his post. He obviously have a point, and if you actually read it you would realize it. I don't like the changes, and i would prefer if it was as before, but it's not as horribly bad as people make it out to be.
  9. zenosarrow

I've read it multiple times, as well as the post he made 3 days ago.
  10. Rhinzual

Cloaking would be fine if the Stalker cloak (fingers crossed still) was like what the Bloodsuckers in Call of Pripyat had, completely invisible until they got right up close, but to balance, they could only use a knife and pistol, -MAYBE- an SMG even attacking only lit them up a little, though the SMG would cause parts of the cloak to drop to partially reveal your SMG-wielding cloaked ***.
  11. MasterD

I agree with most people in saying that the cloak SUCKS on the Infiltrator class after this latest patch. Before the patch they were hard to spot for the most part but now HOLY cow! At 50-100m I can see a white ghost trying to crawl by its pretty hilarious. I've been staying away from the class all together since the patch... also probably the only reason I haven't bought the SMG yet.

I think they should just let NV see Infiltrators again and let them stay invisible forever they can't shoot their weapon while cloaked so it wouldn't be OP'ed. They can't hack vehicles... They barely get any certs... I think they need something to put them on par with the other classes.
    • Up x 2
  12. OldOnyx

Tell me, what does the skill level of the infiltrator shown in this screen shot have to do with how cloak is functioning now? He would have been fairly easy to notice at this distance before the patch, but wouldn’t be worse off for using it to move from cover to cover at range.

I don’t feel that Hunter Cloak should only be of any use in a situations where you’re standing completely still and the chances of being spotted are usually fairly slim anyway. If this was Stalker Cloak, perhaps standing motionless in the corner of a room instead of beneath a walkway, under a landing pad, or some other such location a short distance away with your cloak off would be advantageous.

Before this patch, I felt that Hunter Cloak was a decent cloak for general use and acceptable as a default option. Its weaknesses kept it from excelling at infiltration or sniping, but had strengths that applied well enough to both. After this patch, it performs like a poor man’s version of Stalker Cloak when viewed at lower settings and is of little practical use under those conditions.
  13. drNovikov

[IMG]

Need I say more?
  14. Dr. Euthanasia

Here's an incredibly important factor to remember: the light-bending shader effects which kick in on medium and high graphics settings become dramatically more effective based on the Infiltrator's distance from his target. Being a semi-transparent white ghost leaves us equally visible at all distances. I shouldn't even have to get into how being a white silhouette is often worse than being uncloaked - what I just described is by far one of the most crippling issues of this latest tweak, and most of you are just ignoring it.
  15. RobotNinja

The thing is cloak was fine before this patch. I don't know how the hell the devs keep messing this up but they have been breaking the cloak like every other patch since Closed Beta. We have seen this exact same "bug" since Closed Beta repeatedly. What's more that you may not notice from the pics, is that on low when an Inf moves he becomes more visible than when standing still.
  16. Vermana

You kids realize that on Low settings, infiltrators are easier to see cloaked than uncloaked, right?

Cloaking is broke, at least on Low.
  17. Ztiller

I have to say that this thread is quite funny. Just one week ago, this forum was filled with people complaining that the cloak was bad/useless etc, and how they could kill enemy infiltrators from 200+m away.

Yet now, after the nerf, everyone talks about how the cloak was so great before etc.

Now, i don't agree with these latest changes at all, but it is just a perfect evidence about how this subforum will complain about literally everything.
  18. Astraka

I think what you're seeing is that the cloak was great compared to what it is now. This is also a discussion about cloak visibility on -low- settings, a setting in which (at least on my machine) you were damned near invisible when you cloaked. Correct me if I'm wrong, but medium & high settings do not see this kind of visual phenomena, and are still just as good/poor as they were pre-patch.
  19. Burningeko

I sadly think that may have been me :(
  20. Rayden78

Yeah prepatch was better when i could farm cloakers with thermal view.

Btw. i don't know on what settings this screenshots have been made but they don't look like what i see on low.