As a Mag I will die to a Vanguard 4 out of 5 times in a 1v1...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Vernei, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Taemien

Going 1v1, toe to toe with a Vanguard is suicide. Out of all 3 MBT's it is the tank buster and a hard nut to crack. However its main weakness is infantry. You should consider infantry support when taking on a Vanguard. Same thing goes for Prowler drivers. If I run my Vanguard into you and have the barrel right on your tank, you're dead.
  2. Arkenbrien

.... And you die as well, because we Magriders have an inst-gib weapon called debris. I've killed more than one tank by magburning on top of another tank with critical damage, ejecting, and watching the burning remains of my Mag bring me three kills.

But just for the record, I did take down a 2/2 Van with my 1/2 Mag (yes, they got my tank into critical so that I died before I could eject, but not after I destroyed the tank and got all three kills). That was done at point-blank range. It can be done. It shouldn't be so hard, but I did it.
  3. MorteDeAmgelis

Every Mag I go up against likes to sit there while I pound them with my AP shells with my shield up.

I got a fully upgraded shield and Reload speed upgraded on my AP gun.
    8 Secs on Invul with a 3.5 sec reload.
    Hint - Don't sit in front of me.

3 AP shells is enough to put some serious hurt on a tank if you are stupid enough to sit there while you LET ME hit you. Not including the 2ndary gunner.

I don't know if its because the AP shells are just too good or I am a really good shot but Mags at range are quite easy to hit. I am not sure what you are doing against VGs, maybe a vid or two of you attempting to kill VGs in a 1v1? I can't tell you how to improve if I don't know what you are doing in the first place. I can get a few vids of me going up against Mags if you so wish.

Its honestly 1 of 3 things.
    1 - VGs OP (Dought it)
    2 - You suck
    3 - The VG Driver is just really good.
    • Up x 1
  4. Macchus

You chose disco . it is your fate to be killed by a tank bearing the colors of the denver nuggets .

[IMG]
  5. Taemien

I tend to use the 'S' button before any debris damages my tank. I know other's don't, however. But the fact still stands, I do not fear any other tank on the road that is alone. But that is how the VG should be.
  6. Fang7.62

Git yer dirty 'lien luvin hands off my Vanny shield!
    [IMG]
    • Up x 1
  7. Shinrah

Prowlers thanks to Anchor are the most deadly longrange tanks, they are also in combination with a vulcan the most deadly CQC tank, since on top of superior DPS they are also way faster than any Magrider.
    Vanguards can take alot of beating, their longrange DPS is pretty much the same as the Magriders. In medium and close range they are vastly superior thanks to their shield.

Not much of a niche left for a Magrider, especially since "sneaking" up only works in fights without frontlines, otherwise "sneaking up" translates into putting yourself between 2 enemy lines and increasing your chance to die tenfold.

Magrider is very slow, and if you want to be anything but a sitting duck you need a race chassis, that unfortunately impacts your maneuverability alot.

Imho the Magriders fixed turrets is too much of a disadvantage compared to what it gains by that. (Semi stabilized gun). Give the Magrider a turret and lets see how that plays out balancing wise.
  8. robo

Those of you suggesting that VS players shouldn't use our MBT against the other factions' MBTs... I'm not sure where you're coming from with this. That's all we've got. If we have to use a different vehicle like the Harasser to counter the other factions' MBTs, wouldn't you consider that broken?

Oh, don't use your Mosquito against enemy ESFs, that's stupid, you should all be in flak MAXes and skyguards or Shredder Libs. o_O They aren't "Empire Specific Special Use Vehicles" they're "Main Battle Tanks". They should be somewhat balanced in a 1v1 situation, with the rest dependent on player skill and loadout.

It can be argued that the tank abilities are "skill based" as knowing when to use them greatly affects the battle, but I would also strongly argue that an ability that grants a huge damage absorbing shield for several seconds with the ability to continue moving at full speed and with no weapons restrictions is at least slightly easier to use and outright better than an ability that gives a short boost of speed (in one direction: forward) or an ability that locks your tank down. The Vanguard's shield is an ability that makes a tank actually a better tank instead of an Eldar Fire Prism or a siege weapon.

We can't Magburn in any direction except forward, as I mentioned. Our main gun projectile velocity is poor with projectile drop being very steep, compared to the TR and NC tanks. We are in no way the "sniper tank" anymore.

The Magrider is an excellent tank - Vernei will tell you so. This particular thread, I would like to remind everyone, is purely about the balance between Magriders and Vanguards. I've gunned for Vernei for countless hours, I've been in the situations he's describing and it is incredibly frustrating. Let us not forget that we're looking at higher-level tank play here; a skilled tank pilot can only do so much against a skilled dedicated secondary gunner. Don't forget the damage that comes from that Enforcer or Halberd secondary during those 8 seconds. If you're a good gunner, that Magburner isn't going to give you much pause. If you're a good Saron gunner, on the other hand, the shield completely stops you from doing anything.

If we could Magburn to the side or backwards so we didn't have to present our weakest armor as part of the package deal for Magburning away to safety, it might be different.
    • Up x 1
  9. Winfield

No, would make it a totally useless ability. It only shines when used offensively.

Same as above.

Best idea out of the 3, but still lacks something.
  10. HellasVagabond

You can't move and Fire the Vanguard canon at the same time, at least not even close to the stability the Magrider has. If you don't know that perhaps you should try it. On top of that add the "acceleration" the Vanguard has and it's not really easy to dodge shots (it can happen but not as easy as in a magrider).

Strafe may be slow but it's almost Instant and because of that you can evade many shots. I could always take a vid next time i have an encounter with a Magrider at distances over 150m if that would be enough to pursuade you.
  11. ForAlcoholicBeverage

The vanguard is slow, and turns slow as hell so a lot of drivers put on the combat chasis... So if you as an "experienced" magrider driver can not utilize your extreme mobility and speed to avoid him for a few seconds when the shield is up, even god can't help you.

But no im wrong, it totally OP, right?
  12. Chrotenise

The mag's main feature is mobility; you need to keep moving sideways at all times to dodge the opposing MBT's main gun his shots, while popping your own in. At the same time a Magrider can dance circles around a Vanguard due to this sideways capability, so it's not out of the land of possibilities to get BEHIND a vanguard and actually start shooting them in the rear.

I say this as a person with a decently certed magrider, prowler and vanguard. If a mag has a sauron on top of it, you CAN and WILL beat a vanguard if you get to pick the engagement moment.
  13. Drealgrin

i've slain 2/2vanguards when they have had a squad of infantry supporting them in my 1/2 magrider (admittedly the Mag doesn't survive the encounter, but the vanguard is toast as well ;D), sounds like it's the driver's fault not the equipment.
    • Up x 1
  14. Jachim

Agreed. That Enforcer helps obliterate enemy tanks even at decently long ranges. It helps the TTK way more than the Prowlers Vulcan or Saron which are stuck at closer ranges.

The shotgun, while useful, just pales compared to the enforcer.
  15. Alarox

Only change I see needed is a slight increase to Magrider projectile velocity.

Magrider excels at flanks to the rear, mobile combat, and long range tank duels. I've fought experienced highly skilled Magrider teams, and if they know how to fight they are WAY more of a challenge than anything else I could fight in my Vanguard.

Experienced or not, using the Magrider like a Vanguard and losing 4/5 times to a Vanguard doesn't mean the Vanguard needs nerfed, it means you need to use your tank like a Magrider.
    • Up x 1
  16. Aristel25

I see Magrider Vs. Vanguard the same way I see Light Assault Vs. Heavy Assault. If you're trying to go toe to toe slug match you're doing it wrong and are going to lose. You're specialty is movement just like a LA's, use it. I can't even tell you the amount of times I'd have Mag Riders try to go toe to toe with me in a Vanguard and simply get crushed. The ones who get me, or go right to the wire with are the smart ones who use cover, dodge my shots and keep at a longer range.
    • Up x 2
  17. Winfield

It's the only good thing left for the NC, ofcourse it needs to be nerfed. Didn't you get the memo?
  18. BlackDove

I usually demolish several Vanguards or Prowlers with my Magrider. I'm usually killed by engineer turrets, mines, friendlies flipping me, or the ridiculously OP liberator/reaver/mosquito weapons. Enemy tanks are usually no problem, unless I'm stupid enough to go up against a Prowler in lockdown or a group of Vanguards.

I often enjoy chasing down highly certed Harassers because I have maxed out race chassis and magburner, and destroying them as they attempt to jump and dodge away, then smashing the BR70-90 guys who jump out and try to rocket/C4 me.

My biggest complaint about the Magrider is that it has no armor, and the ridiculously OP Striker can basically destroy it in a few seconds, while making it impossible to hear or aim at enemies due to its repeated explosions.

Also, the secondary guns like the 1000 cert Saron can't aim up or down worth a ****, so they're useless half the time if you're trying to let your gunner defend you. If they fixed that, it would be more of a fair fight and it would help against air. No one in their right mind gets anything but a Saron, because it's the only weapon that's close to whatever that stupid looking NC secondary that takes out a tank it 2 seconds is called. I love how people ***** about the Saron being OP, but somehow forget that thing exists.

And to whoever said "put a turret on the Mag": that's a terrible idea. Basically, the only enjoyment I get out of this game anymore is driving my Magrider, and its speed/handling are some of the only DECENT ones in the game anymore. I have an almost fully certed Scrapper Combat Harasser with a Saron and armor, and that's ok to drive too, but don't ruin the Magrider by putting a turret on it. Go play wipEouT and learn how to drive an anti-gravity vehicle, then you'll enjoy the Mag.
    • Up x 1
  19. Winfield

I can assure you that the Enforcer does NOT take out a tank in 2 seconds. The only differences between the Saron and the Enforcer are as follows:

Enforcer has bigger mag size
    Saron has no drop
    Saron can empty its mag really quickly

I'd say that Saron is the clear winner here.
  20. Botji

Hello!

I have just the thing for you, I actually made these just for you and actually for anyone thinking like you!

Notice how the Rival chassi Vanguard actually accelerate faster going backwards than Rival chassi Magrider when it strafes?
    Notice how the Rival chassi Vanguard actually moves faster going backwards than a Rival chassi Magrider strafes?

Not shown in video but a standard Vanguard can reverse just as fast as a fully upgraded Rival chassi Magrider can strafe so for example, a BR1 that pulls his first Vanguard can "strafe" just about as well as a fully upgraded Rival chassi Magrider, aside from the more bumpy ride if its done on bumpy terrain(as seen on video doing it on smooth flat terrain there is no bumps messing with the aim)

Now notice the gigantic window of opportunity the Magrider has to dodge those shots @150m, its almost a whole second. I bet if some math wiz bothered to do the calculations they would find that even if the magrider were already strafing at "top speed" it would only take a slight correction on the aim to still hit it dead center and no, it doesnt have the acceleration to switch direction to avoid getting hit. Most of the shots that miss a Magrider is not because it can strafe but because its moving and the dude doing the aiming is not used to hit moving targets going at a blazing 20-25 top speed.

Most of your points are kinda funny but you seem to defend the shields by its cost and that most people only are nearly invulnerable for 6 seconds(or 3-4 if a lot of stuff is pewpewpewing) instead of 8. Well, ***** I guess my totally imbalanced Magburner that costs just as much but only works for ~1 second instead of 6(even less than 1 second if a lot of people are shooting at me, rear armor and all that) and has a cooldown of 50 seconds is actually comparable to that, I mean I can get a very short boost every 25 seconds if I want!

My point is, if the Magrider is expected to "dodge" these shots @ "150m or over" as you put it, the Vanguard would have no trouble also doing this, just reverse, done. It has better acceleration and higher top speed if you run with Rival chassi wich most probably do. Even if you dont you are still even with the maxed out Rival Magrider in top speed(and still better acceleration), oh woe be you then, you have the same ability to dodge the Magriders shot as the Magrider has to dodge yours.

Oh wait!
    The Magriders shot is actually slower than yours..