Are you guys going to bring back any huge features from PS1? Any plans?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Bucketnate, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Neopopulas

Doors, i can live without those. Inventory i do not want to see again, oh my god.. On the other hand, i DO want to see ammo types come back. AP ammo and the like, and do you want to know why? (of course you do), its because the VS had the ability to switch from AP and back again, it was one of the empire-specific bonuses, and its something i would LOVE to see again.

Hallways are something we need. At the moment, every single base is just a series of rooms connected by a single doorway, they don't look like they are designed to be defended at all. (Side note: the new window covers.. at first i hated how they looked because they looked tacked on, but then i thought.. if these bases weren't designed to be in full-scale war all the time, they would look tacked on..)

But without hallways connecting rooms, with bases being quite small overall, the infantry fight is a CoD style 'run around in circles killing things, die, repeat' sort of fight, there are very fer places to hold out (aside from spawn rooms) where you can hunker down and hold out, set up ad efensive line and so on. Doors are huge open holes into huge open rooms. You can't bottleneck attackers in hallways or small courtyards outside buildings, once you're in the base, its just a big open area, you might as well be outside.

What i would love, more than anything, more than new weapons, more than new certs, more than implants and account-wide unlocks, even more than my beloved Lancer.. Is bases that feel like bases, and not huge open rooms connected by a single open doorway to another huge open room..

Bases that are connected by hallways, even short ones, bases that are more than just one big room (or a series of tiny rooms on top of each other), a base that you have maybe 2-3 entrances, and you have to break in there, and once you do you have to fight through the building, through a hallway or a courtyard into another building or room, which is connected to other rooms via hallways or stairwells. Because at the moment, even the big bases like tech plants, once you get into the main room, its just a HUGE massive warehouse to run around in. No reason to hold out, ot play tactically or have defended positions..

My two cents.
  2. Colt556

I don't get why people think like this. Or why they lie. It took the original planetside years? To do what? Lattice, inventory system, weapons, vehicles, base benefits, NTU, sanctuaries, emotes, enter/exit animations, etc etc etc. EVERYTHING players have asked for was implemented into PS1 at launch. None of these things were added after the game launched. Nothing. Not one thing. It was all there when the game launched in 2003. So don't spread lies like this. PS1, a game from 2003, was launched as a complete product where the devs needed only do balancing tweaks until the first expansion. Yet PS2, a game from 2012 (when technology is vastly more advanced and should make things easier) released as a buggy, horribly broken pre-alpha mess.

Why should any of us be patient? Why should any of us not complain about lack of features? If a ******* game from a decade ago could launch with so much content, sure a modern AAA game can match it. Or are you telling me developers have regressed to the point of sheer incompetence. Are you telling me these big companies are unable to make ******* doors? To add in inventory systems? To create more than 3 continents? To give us more than 9 vehicles to play? To give us actual unique weapons instead of rehashes of the same thing? To give us proper metagame? To give us well designed bases?

Seriously. If a game from 2003 launched with ten times as much content as a game from 2012, the company simply dropped the ball and deserve absolutely no mercy.
    • Up x 4
  3. Naturaliensammler

Sadly this is the trend in the gaming industry. Millions get spend on ads, motion capturing, AMSUM GFX, and useless stuff... yet the games released are public paid for alphas.

A few years back you could say that BIS is horrible because at launch their Armed Assault products are always buggy as hell and the performance is abysmal.
    Looking at it from 2013 I must say that both ArmA and ArmA II have been perfect products at launch. They had the features and the only thing that lacked was the performance and some bugs.
  4. Bucketnate

I have heard from multiple sources that the game had to grow over the years to what it is now, i dont know where youre coming from...
  5. Colt556

It did grow to what it is now. What it is now is a broken mess that almost every single vet hates. However all the options people actually want were in the game when it launched. All that was added over the years was stuff like BFRs, the caves, battle islands, cave weapons/vehicles, increased BR cap allowing for true supersoldiers, etc etc etc. You'll notice, none of those things are asked for in PS2. PS1 launched as a full game and had actual expansions. PS2 launched as a pre-alpha build.
  6. KRE8R125

Not sure if you played the newest XCOM but it is CASE IN POINT for this sort of behavior. Tons of arguments from both sides about whether or not it is a true remake of the original. Most seem to agree that it is a 're-imagining' of the original and not a remake. Sadly this is true and the odds of us finding a true remake are probably very slim. Same goes for PS1. PS2 is a re-imagining of the original (so far) and will likely not reach the full glory of the original. But there are so many of us that WANT a REMAKE and not a re-imagining. We simply want the original with newer graphics. I could go on and on about how the console has destroyed so many PC games though... :(
  7. Takoita

I didn't, and, to be honest, I'm hesitant to try. Not to say that each and every attempt to out-do the legend was a completely uninteresting game, but they all fell short in something (IMHO, the foolish insistence of '3D, only 3D!' severely limits the destructibility of tactical maps).

Remakes of a good quality are not unheard of, but they unfortunately happen in a very uneven fashion (older JRPGs, for example, got a slew of decent remakes on GBA, NDS and PSP in the last 5 years or so).

Simplification for multi-platform releases needs to die in a fire though.