Are there going to be two Shotguns? [MODEL PREVIEWS]

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Phazaar, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Lucidius134

Whatever it is, it will definatly fire slower. This one's main perk is fire speed over other pumps, so it makes sense that other pumps should fire slower, regardless of what their benefits are. The weight of the unconfirmed ones definatly look a lot heavier/bulkier. Might take longer to switch to/from?
  2. Playful Pony

I think they do really =p. Just like the VS one, they are simply carbines with the pumpy bit from a shotgun on it.
  3. MadGelo

the horror!
  4. TeknoBug

This sounds familiar... anybody remember the two SMG's?
  5. TeknoBug

Nintendo DS
    Nintendo DSi
    Nintendo 3DS
    etc.etc.
  6. Torok

don't know what's all the fuss about, as NC i own both smg and i find them really different, Cyclone vs Blitz, and one doesn't really surpass the other one, the Cyclone really needs the extended mag and it's Freaking AMAZING, the blitz one on the counterpart lets you play with different Attachments but the damage is so low i only use it on my engineer, they really are different weapons.
    the new shotgun is SUPER good at cqc, i really doubt how the new one will be better, as someone already stated it will probably be better at range, i imagine it being sniper level with slugs :D
  7. Torok

double post argh. anyway save certs guys else your wallet will own you!

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  8. Phazaar

Nintendo DS - 2004-2007
    Nintendo DS Lite - 2006-
    Nintendo DSi - 2009-
    Nintendo DSi XL - 2010- <--- Sidegrade to the DSi XL. STILL had a year between launches.
    Nintendo 3DS - 2011-

The concurrent models (along with 90% of technology) are sold via price-skimming. That is to say, by the time the DSi came out, the DS Lite's price had already dropped due to decreasing demand and the desire to see consistent sales. They were not launched at the same price, again, because of the existence of an actual market place.

I can do the same thing with Nikon camera releases, but it would only prove that you've completely missed the point.

Of course companies should launch upgrades. Progress is a -good- thing. If the DSi had been launched 2 weeks after the DS for the same price as it, THEN it would be a problem. A year later. Fine. For a disposable medium like in-game items, a few months, fine. But 7$ per fortnight, in addition to what else you may be paying, simply to remain on top of the game is a joke.

Also worth mentioning it's nothing to do with product cycles. There isn't going to be another SMG that's a bit better in two more weeks, and another two weeks after that.

There is simply no reason not to release the weapons side by side or with a large 'THERE WILL BE ANOTHER SHOTGUN COMING IN THE NEXT PATCH!! Here's a sneak preview:" type note so it's obvious they're intended as side-grades. The only reason to release one by one is to release the 'bad' one first and then release the other, because people have more chance of being 'forced' to buy both.

If they'd released the second SMG first, and had a note on the SMG patch saying 'We've almost finished up the models for the second SMG coming in a few weeks! It's going to have higher damage, balanced by lower ROF and a smaller clip', I'd have bought the first one in an instant because for my personal playstyle (nothing to do with spray'n'pray, thanks), ROF is the king. If the releases were the other way around and the notes stated 'A second SMG will be out when we're done with the model in a couple of weeks! It's going to have lower damage per shot, higher ROF, and an identical TTK', I'd have waited. Instead, I didn't know of the second one, bought the first, enjoyed it, saw the 'upgrade' (as I see it), and feel cheated. Whether I have been or not, there are better ways SOE could have handled it, and as such as you can see from the shotgun threads, people are already spooked and holding back on their spending.

One thing I think they should consider in these times when the development 'cadence' (still damned sure that's a rubbish usage for a great word) doesn't allow both sidegrades to launch at once, having a 'resale' value, essentially like a 'rent' system. This way, they could say 'Trial the next SMG in two weeks; if you prefer it over your current one, we'll buy yours back for 500SC.' People will still be spending more, and feel there's less risk in their purchases. I'd totally burn 200 SC for two weeks playtime with a weapon that I later want to switch to an upgrade.
  9. SDD

Well, it was shown on Friday Night Ops too, that would be the place people should assume you'd know it from. For the people excited about SMGs, you'd assume they'd have watched the preview for the SMGs that explained there were two coming, and even showed both of TR's before they showed even one of VS's.

This time around though, there was no preview, so who knows.
  10. Phazaar

Thanks for finally answering that question; I did ask where people were sourcing it from like 30 times, but no one ever told me. Releasing rather vital information via one of the most boring streams I've ever watched in my entire life that has a total viewship of about 1000 (Live, may be more after, but I doubt even 5% of the playerbase) when you have 50,000 characters on one server alone is a joke.

Perhaps something else they should do is implement a 'Patch notes' type run-down of what's covered in FNO each Friday and throw it on the main splash screen; it'd probably increase their viewship too if they hotlinked the times in the video for each thing. Something like:

Took a look at the new spawn rooms - Shields will be taken away to give everyone a chance at some carebear tears!

A sneak preview of the models for the ES rocket launchers that will soon make all your lock-ons worthless.

Failed at being a good gamer for 45 whole minutes whilst following X outfit that are guaranteed to get ***** because we're live streaming their destinations instead of being slightly sensible and recording this section beforehand!

Okay, tongue in cheek, but you get my point.
  11. SDD

After it's done airing, you can skip around the recording to about 10 minutes in where they show the upcoming things, watch it for 15 minutes, then close it.
    Would the information being more available be nice? Of course, but at least this time you can see it without leaving the forums.
    • Up x 1
  12. bagelsocks

the new smg is NOT stronger, at least not for nc. while better at certain ranges, i prefer the cyclone because it has higher dps and I use it at point blank range anyway so the dps on paper is pretty much what i get.