Add your new deployable ideas here (turrets, force fields, walls, etc.)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DeadAlive99, Nov 27, 2012.

1. DeadAlive99

Personally, I'm a little disappointed with the lack of deployables. Back when I played Tribes 2, there was a great mod called Shifter which had deployable FF's and walls.

I can't stress enough how much those two things can alter infantry gameplay. They are a ton of fun, and they add a chunk of much needed variety to the gamepace. So, what can they do exactly?

FF's can block enemies, or they can allow enemies to pass but damage them a little. They can also be used to slow you down, per Tribes 2 (i.e., they can be designed so you move slowly as you pass through)

Deployable walls are more simple, and block all players and gunfire.

Obviously, they would have limited HP so they could be destroyed with some heavy fire (rockets, nades, etc), or a large amount of light arm fire. But not so light on the HP to be worthless.

They could also come in different sizes, worth different amounts of resources and/or certs, and would be good for blocking or covering players, door blocks, and road blocks.

* Tall and skinny: - Covers 1 standing player - 10 inf. resources
    * Tall and wide: Good for 2-4 standing players - 20 inf.r
    * Short and skinny: Good for partial cover for crouching players - 5 inf.r
    * Short and wide: Good for multiple crouching players - 10 inf.r
    * Slow FF: Blocks gunfire, but allows enemies to pass through at 50% speed. Friendlies pass normally -10 inf.r
    * Blocking FF: Blocks all enemy activity, friendlies pass normally. Optionally comes with alarm when attacked or destroyed - 20 inf.r

Tactical uses:

* Partially block windows and doors for enhanced sniping and grenade protection
    * Totally block doors
    * Open field cover for advancing troops
    * Trapping of enemies inside areas of base
    * Escape assist by slowing enemies down long enough to give you a head start
    * Decoys
    * Stacking of FF's and walls by multiple players to require enemy to spend extra time clearing out blockages before advancing
    * Ambush setup (guide players down a different path towards an ambush)
    * Ground vehicle roadblocks. Walls would block the Flash totally, but other vehicles could break through them but incur damage.

Infiltrators: I know the Infs. won't like these as they could ruin their game, and I wouldn't like them either playing Inf., so the simple solution is to use advanced technology to allow them to bypass all FF's and walls as if they're not there. You could do this by default, or use a cert. chain of some kind.

Auto-Turrets: I like all the turrets from the Tribes series. Also like the turret in BF 2142. Yeah, some people complain about them, but it's like anything else, you just adapt. The downside of auto turrets is that they have low HP, so it doesn't take much to take one out. They can be tweaked so that they are not OP.

Please comment and add your own ideas for new deployables!
  2. Ninjilla

I'd like to see an infiltrator deployable that makes a clone of them, either crouching and/or standing variants, both looking down scope. The catch would be, for the first 5 seconds or so that the decoy is released the infiltrator who placed it cant be spotted with Q, only the clone.
  3. Gary

Deployable Step ladder to reach up to the balconies in tech plants and bio labs ( a big step ladder...)
  4. Liquid23

deployable latrines... seriously we need em
  5. Blindga

I would like to see some MANA variants for the engineer.

Maybe instead of the default turret upgrade you could get an upgrade that replaces the shielding on the turret with a small ammo box that prevents overheating or offers increased damage.

Something like that.
  6. xpsyclosarinx

I suggested something similar on twitter.

I don't really like the idea of making them block people though, it just opens it up to way too many bugs or exploitation. Blocking bullets and explosions is fine and doable (spawn shields) and this would just be a compact version. 1mx2m or 2mx2m block.
  7. rabidquokka

Good idea, like to see some tank barrier ff types as well.

also:
    -portable jump pads
    -vehicle warp pods(like teleport for inf, only requires parts from more than one inf...maybe 4(1 for each corner)
    -health/ammo bays that are permanent(does not expire over time) untill damaged(has limited heals/ammo over time for instance initially has 5 packs then adds 1 every 20 seconds)
    -vehicle repair/reload bay(just like repair tool, is permanent but easily damaged and any vehicle caught in its destruction is killed instantly)
    -camo projector, copies ground layout over 10,20,30,40,50(certs) meters and projects the same image 15 meters above the ground level.(future version of camo netting to hide from air), it should be easy to see if flying low, only high flyers should not be able to make it out.
  8. Tactics

Deployable Halberd for the Engineer class instead of the turret
  9. Baphoma

Yea i hear what your saying. im used to playing global agenda *same ppl who made tribes*
    Some of the stuff was nice. but dont see it functional in a game on this magnatude. auto-turrets you would have no control over what its shooting. * same thing in tribes / GA*

As far as the infiltrators :-\ man this isnt counterstrike wallhacks here :p
  10. Baphoma

What i would like to see is some Anti-vehicle turrets. being only able to use mana turret or the av turret. would be a nice brisk there :)
  11. Zer0range

This.
  12. Fligsnurt

Varriants of the MANA turret. Just as the one we have now is more of an Infantry Deterant instead of Anti Infantry I would like to see an AV and AA version. Blockades, just your head sticks up past them when crouched so you can fire over them. Cloaking Field Generators (PS1 players know what I'm talking about.) nothing that can be abused, say only 1 can be placed within 100m of another and they cost 150 inf resource. Maybe tank traps of sorts to allow the engi to make choke points or a group of engis that is.

So..
    -AV and AA variations of the MANA turret.
    -Cloaking Field Generator
    -Barricades
    -Tank Traps
  13. Sifer2

Auto-Turrets would be neat. Less health than the Mana turret but tracks an fires on its own. It's speed at acquiring targets could be increased by the Amp station buff.

And force field walls I believe are already planned to be added. They probably just working on balancing them.
  14. QuantumMechanic

Engineer-deployable quarter-pipe for ATV's to get b|tchin air off of!
    • Up x 1
  15. mavix

I'll throw out this idea. Instead of deployable auto-turrets, how about spotting turrets?(won't spot cloaked) or turrets that don't do damage but it's shots impair the target's aim like explosions do when in ADS. I also look forward to the AV turret that will be added. It would be really nice to have a shield that covers your head too.
  16. Kahlev

I really really hope they keep infantry-based "toys" to a minimum.

I'd much rather have strategy and player skill be the largest components of success, not just everyone playing engineers etc. and settings up tons of automated defenses and sitting around with their thumb up their but waiting for the other team to come die.

Seriously ruins the fun, challenge, and feeling of accomplishment with it's toys doing all the work instead of players.

That said, a few things here and there would be fine, but just kept to a minimum.

We already have cloak/motion detectors (Infiltrators have them, but almost none every use them).

We have mines, c4, turrets, ammo packs.

Wouldn't mind seeing AV/AA engi turrets though, as mentioned. Also Infiltators having a close range EMP device that can shut down vehicles and Max units temporarily would be interesting as well.
  17. I Keel You!

How about some mountain climbing gear? There could be 2 versions, one for personal use so it is more like a small gadget and requires less Creds to unlock, and the other is a deployable which is more like a robotic/mechanized looking thing that requires more Cred to unlock but can be used by other allies. Then there could be even more expensive versions that either give them more armor, cloaked (just the deployable), or generates a small cloaking-field generator (the most expensive), and finally, a super expensive version that has everything (+armor, +cloaking, +deployment time).
    • Up x 1
  18. DeadAlive99

I've had some similar ideas as well, so yeah, I'll vote for that. Various gadgets or certs that assist in jumping or climbing. It would add a whole new angle to the game when you can't be for certain that there's no one scaling your walls or cliffs. :D