[Actually serious] Maxes should be deleted from Planetside 2

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mustarde, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Stormsinger

Without bringing my opinion into the argument - the opportunity to remove maxes without a ****storm following has long since passed. I sincerely doubt that the developers will remove a unit on which people have spent significant real life cash equipping (Not to mention development time, art in general, etc)

What could happen, is nerfing them to the point where there's no reason to pull one. (Look at ZOE, and to a lesser extent, fractures, damage dropoff range in general, etc - it's already being done, to a certain extent. ) With the anti max rifle, tank mines triggering vs maxes, etc - I think that they will become less of an issue somewhat soon.

Another random idea for anti max gear - How about an infiltrator EM-dart? (Direct hits shut down MAX mobility / systems, acting like a concussion grenade, but with the addition of shutting down weapons for 3 seconds (increase to 5 seconds, with certs. Also affects vehicles.)

Further restrictions could include limiting the number of MAXes that can be pulled in a single hex (per faction) Allowing a maximum of 10-15 (Or... perhaps 10% of that population's personnel, rather then a fixed number) would go a long way in reducing their numbers. (Maxes could be pulled elsewhere, then transported in via sundy / gal, but until numbers drop below the thresh-hold, no more could be pulled in that hex.)
  2. Stigma

The infantry-part of the game would be better without MAXes - no doubt there. You are just buying superiority with nanites - and nanites are cheap and inexaustable. Any half-decent player can chain them continuously.

I think you can sum up the problem like this:
    MAXes hard-counter all soft-infantry.
    The only direct counters to MAXes (indoors) are anti-vehicle MAXes

Because of this, any base-battle => more MAX, more WIN
    The infamous "MAX crash" is just an example of that - win by pulling more MAXes than the other team - and they call that "strategy" ugh...

This is a problem because soft-infantry you can out-play. You can hold off 20 people from a point with a good mix of 8 strong players. When those 20 randoms charge in with MAXes however - it's game over - you get overrun no matter the skill discrepancy.

MAXes ruin both large and small fights.
    -Stigma
    • Up x 2
  3. Pikachu

4. Iridar51

If what separates PS2 from other games makes it notably worse to play than those other games - I'd say yeah, put it in the trash. With all your might.
  5. GriffinTalon

I think far too many players in this game want it to be 'Not Planetside' :/

At this stage nothing is ever going to be removed from the game, nerfed sure.
    If the devs are stupid enough to limited the use of maxs/tanks/flashs/darts then you will have players leave simple as that, whoever think this is a smart idea, I don't know.

Have to say, with this logic 20 of anything should be able to rush a squad of 8, unless said 20 are attacking with knives, which while fun, probably won't end well. If it takes 20 max/engis to stop a squad of 8 then that squad is doing a damn good job.
  6. Taemien

I don't know why you all are going on about removing MAXes, as if they are going to take an asset that's been in for nearly 3 years and go, "yep lets nix it out." In fact this thread is probably one report away from being closed.

Anyway, the point here is the unit isn't going anywhere. Its intended to be a Resource-Nanite dump to get extra power and whomever has the most nanites in this case wins. That's how the game was designed. What you all have to decide is if that is the game you wish to play.

Sure you can make your voice known. But after 3 years, the MAX is still here. The MAX will be here 3 years from now. Can you handle it for another 3 years? If the answer is no, then by all means play the FPS you think is perfect for you.
    • Up x 5
  7. Liberty

Not really sure what you are saying? The average starter 143 weapon has between 698 and 750 RoF. Starter MAX weapons with 143 damage have 800 RoF. So better DPS.

Highest ROF 143 weapons are 845 RPM. Highest RoF 143 MAX weapons are 852 RPM. So better DPS

Highest infantry DPS 2014. Highest MAX DPS 2050. So better DPS.

If you factor in everything else MAX suits have going for them, the fact that it even comes close to the highest DPS is pretty laughable, when in reality they should have weapons that handle like the lowest DPS LMG's. Literally the top tier for AI maxes should be 652 RPM @ 143 damage.

And 2x the hitbox for up to *10* times the effective hitpoints. Its weaknesses are more than offset by its strengths.
  8. Kristan

That's exactly what I meant. You told us that MAXes have waaaay higher DPS, but it appears that they have actually the same DPS as any other infantry weapon.

But what if I say... that MAXes can't use scopes and ironsights like infantry does? It means they are always on hipfire accuracy, which makes them ineffective on range.

And 2x hitbox means that your chances of eating a rocket or C4 is twice higher, which means certain death. Not to mention becoming a bullet magnet. Don't forget, 10k ehp only against BULLETS. 2k ehp against explosives.
  9. FateJH

The NC default AI weapon - NCM1 Scattercannon - has a rate of fire of 180 RPM.
    The distribution is: 180 - 180 - 180 - 209.
    The NC default Carbine - AF-19 Mercenary - has a rate of fire of 600 RPM.
    The distribution is: 500 - 550 - 577 - 600 - 600 - 600 - 632 - 845.

The VS default AI weapon - Quasar VM1 - has a rate of fire of 337 RPM.
    The distribution is: 337 - 337 - 366 - 426.
    The VS defaultCarbine - Solstice VE3 - has a fire rate of 698 RPM.
    The distribution is: 577 - 652 - 698 - 698 - 698 - 723 - 800 - 845

The TR default AI weapon - M1 Heavy Cycler - has a rate of fire of 400 RPM.
    The distribution is: 400 - 400 - 426 - 492.
    The TR default Carbine - TRAC 5 - has a rate of fire of 750 RPM.
    The distribution is: 550 - 652 - 698 - 750 - 750 - 750 - 750 - 909

If you will let me construct your argument for you, you can pair up two MAX AI weapons. While that doesn't increase the rate of fire to Carbine levels, it does increase the damage per second by doubling the downstream firepower at the same rate of fire, thus turning the MAX attack power into a glorified armored Carbine.

TRAC 5 (1x)
    143 Damage @ 750 RPM = 1787.50 dps
    M1 Heavy Cycler (2x)
    286 Damage @ 400 RPM = 1907.66 dps
  10. Cheetoh

I've always felt MAX players are scrub infantry players who can't get it up any other way.

Taking down these pathetic plebs with C4, frag grenades, or even my T1 assault rifle always brings a smile to my face.

Even more so knowing they'll come here later to cry about their walking tank isn't OP enough.

Please don't take that away.

-TR medic
    • Up x 1
  11. Ballto21

you forget you have to multiply the ROF by two as youre shooting two at once.
  12. Haquim

He doubled the damage for the Heavy Cycler for that.
    If it actually had 286 damage I might consider using it....
  13. FateJH

Unless you are suggesting a mere numbers trick - not doubling 143 into 286, but doubling 400 into 800 instead - I can not agree with you. Doubling the number of Heavy Cyclers does not lead to a quadrupling of the damage per second; you either multiply by two on the damage per bullet, or the rate of fire, but not both. This is a basic multiplication distribution.

2 x ( A x B ) 2 x A x 2 x B

Artificially modifying the values of a single M1 Heavy Cycler:
    143 Damage x 400 RPM = 953.33 dps (1x)
    143 Damage x 800 RPM = 1906.66 dps (2x)
    286 Damage x 400 RPM = 1906.66 dps (2x)
    286 Damage x 800 RPM = 3813.33 dps (4x)

Note that, up to this point, I've been silently handling the division to transform minutes into seconds.
  14. Mustarde

Hot off the press!

• Up x 2
  15. MetalCotton

Nice montage. Otherwise.
    [IMG]

I'm not entirely sure what you were trying to prove with it.
    • Up x 3
  16. Liberty

Err, I feel like we are saying the same thing, but you are just saying it wrong. If you have 1 arm that fires 400 rounds per minute at 143 damage and then add a second arm with the same stat, you are firing 800 rounds per minute. (Technically with DPS you can double the damage per shot or the RoF or the final DPS/DPM and end up with the same value, for calculating TTK you have to watch because firing 2 rounds per refire, if it takes 5 rounds or 6, it will still be the same TTK because it will require 3 refire cycles)

So running a stock Dual AI MAX set up (Cyclers) will give your more RoF and more DPS than your standard carbine levels (or any 143 damage starter weapon).

Running dual onslaughts (your high DPS / CQC option) will give your more DPS than your highest DPS carbine / AR. i.e. Serpent / GDF-7/ Cycler TRV = 2014 DPS Onslaughts = 2050.

Saying they glorified armored carbines is kind of an understatement as they tend to have higher damage output in their intended role (cqc onslaughts / mid range cyclers / longer range mercy ) vs. the damage models for similar carbines / ARs / LMGs. That isn't even factoring their damage per mag or their reload speeds vs mag size.
    • Up x 1
  17. Amouris

Ah how the mighty have fallen.
    • Up x 1
  18. Liberty

Pretty sure it was just showing off head to head kill streaks that the best players on regular infantry classes would seriously struggle with. And that for every player who would leave if MAXes were removed from the game, there would likely be another half dozen who don't stick with the game now because of these walking crop harvesters. wrecking infantry combat balance.
    • Up x 2
  19. RykerStruvian

Just scatting all over the place. On TR, walls, chairs, etc. So hot.

If you don't like MAXs, just go away lol. Go play Dirty Bomb or something.
  20. Kristan

Nice! You have used right positioning, range and flanking. That's, my boy, not a matter of MAX, that's a matter of skill of using it.

Though, I wanna see how many times you got C4ed and rocket punched while making this montage.