About being an HA........

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Eternaloptimist, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Bankrotas

What ****** squads are you playing with?
    • Up x 1
  2. WarmasterRaptor

Glad to see someone else recognize how the game works!
  3. Rovertoo

The least played class may be more advanced, but they are most likely (or at least, I feel this way) the least developed. Light Assaults are powerful, but very neglected in terms of Dev work. No tool, Jpack bugs, bad grenades, QOL is pretty low, and a terrible lack of play options (Carbine/Shotty flanking, or C4 bombing, since they fail at most all other roles) all makes playing LA much more difficult than it should be.

Infils too, are greatly lacking options. They can snipe, or they can SMG sneak. Stalker cloak is not as usable as it should be, and that shield cloak is just something nobody ever touches.

Meanwhile, the HA can fulfill just about any role and do it well. They can play AV with rockets and C4, they can play AI with Rockets, LMGs, Shotguns, SMGs, they can play AA with Rockets and (kinda) LMGs, all while being easy to play in 1v1 or 1vmany situations.

So I agree that more 'advanced' or 'difficult' classes would be played less, and I'm fine with the HA with it's shields and Rocket primaries being an 'easy' class to play (every game needs an avenue for new players), but all classes should have access to the AA/AI/AV styles of play.

So before we go around nerfing the HA, I think we really, really need to increase the options for our less developed classes.
  4. Panhawran

Yes, there is a problem but not in that HA i OP. The problem is with you cryers.
    You probably started the game with HA class and after a while you want to try something else. You do this, you play with another DIFFERENT class but you play as same as you play with HA. You don't change you play style. You play with LA like you where HA, you are running on the ground and get kickass by HA, you run with clocker and you declock in front of HA and you die. Then what you do you go on forum cry, cry and cry. Every class have advantages and every class have disadvantages.
    HA is good and simple to play. It is intended to be good in 1vs1, CQ ect.
    PPL please start to use your brain. USE YOUR BRAIN.
    EVERY CLASS IS GOOD BUT NOT IN ANY SITUATION.
    I don't play one class I play a class witch suits situation. If you play on a desert or flat terrain it is not good to run LA. As it is with your weapons You won't use shotgun for long distant fights. So before you spawn take a 30s to think what class will be the best in this situation.

P.S.
    LA with brain flaying on rooftops is nightmare to HA and other "walking on the ground" classes.
    Colcker behind lines is pain in the ***.
    No one what to run with sundy to a tank mines lived by engineer.
    Every class is good in something else.
  5. Predator01cz

I think it's mainly a Vanu thing..
    90% of time when I kill a Vanu vehicle I see none else than a HA bail out of it.
    NC and TR are normal on miller and they actually plan on repairing their vehicles during combat. But Vanu don't..
    They just stand on hills spamming PPAs (because seeing a harasser or magrider without a PPA is as rare as seeing a MAX without ZOE before righteous nerf) until something destroys them and then they just bail out to give you that one extra rocket launcher shot.

Which I guess is a valid tactics, when you roll in an AP Vanguard with AV secondary and you're killing these PPA platforms left and right. The fact that 2 HAs with readied rocket launchers pop out of each actually slows down your advancement.
  6. omni2

Your accusing here the VS for something what each faction does, not only that you can find HA (usually the secondary gunner can be picked up while driving and it its YES sometimes a HA a medic or a infiltrator) but that there are some drivers who suddenly "PLOP" out after their vehicle explodes as a infiltrator and become invisible.

must be a valid tactic to be cheezy and skilled at the same time for each faction.
  7. Xasapis

A current HE Magrider with PPA is weaker than an AP Lightning. Your AP/AV Vanguard is really an overkill.
  8. JonboyX

Agree with this. ^

Coming in to the game, it's easier to achieve kills over deaths with the Heavy class; which is what most people want in a shooter? Most other shooters out there position you as a human tank against the hordes... able to soak up a fair bit of damage while carrying an arsenal that would usually require a pick up truck to move around.

It's a natural "MyFirstClass" (TM).

Thereafter; it scales well as a class. There's no objective you cannot achieve while playing heavy, nothing you cannot kill, no sacrifices to make such as movement speed. Guns are good, extra hit points a natural advantage. You don't need masses of positional awareness (not that it doesn't help), but not to the extent that being an infil or light assault does. Mainly you just need good twitch/aim skills and not go out on a limb.

It doesn't make it a problem: just an obvious choice for 80% of people who don't care much for healing/repairing.

Also: the AV grenade thing. Probably a big reason why many of the big Miller outfits upped and left; well that and the influx of supersized outfits. Very hard to do any kind of concerted point secure when 5-10 AV grenades come in through the windows/doorways with a 100% damage model across all distances within the explosion radius. AV nades were just a bad concept imo; they're hardly ever used against vehicles, and if you thought some kind of additional anti-max device was needed (on top of rockets, emp, flash, smoke and c4) then I think the issue is with the power/ubiquity of maxes.
  9. McToast

Moin
    I can see the logic behind this, but if you come with real life arguments consider this: The HA comes default with a LMG and has a lot of LMGs to choose from. His other primaries are common pool primaries.
    How many LMGs do you find in a real life soldier squad? How many rocket launchers? And how many of these guys with LMG AND rocket launcher do also have c4 in their pockets?

The HA shield is like the Vanguard shield: Hard to balance. In my opinion the HA class is OP at the moment, but not gamebreaking.
  10. Stormsinger

While my understanding of modern-day realworld squad tactics is limited, here's a quick read that I found highly informative. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M27_Infantry_Automatic_Rifle

Post WWII - general, multipurpose squads would typically have one LMGer, frequently using one SAW per squad - the rest would have special-purpose weapons, with a general multipurpose carbine being the standard for most everyone else. That said, multipurpose automatics of varying sorts have been slowly replacing them, granting greater, more versatile firepower to every unit. As of 2009-ish, the US standard is still several M4 (Carbine) users with one M249 SAW (LMG suppressive)

The M27 IAR (Accurate in singleshot to 800 meters, accurate out to 200 meters when in full-auto suppression)
    Currently, the US Marine Corps is looking into replacing the standard M4 with the M27 IAR for it's capacity to replace the SAW's fully auto functionality (Although with a smaller ammo cap then the SAW, it's a superior overall option)

Now, before I go even more offtopic - my general point is that yes: It is realistic that every squad member have a LMG, although that was not the case in WWII - those LMGs typically required 2-4 units to operate correctly, and they weren't all that portable. Really, it could go either way, but I think the range of primaries currently available to the HA is just fine.

I agree with you on the point of rocket launchers / C4 - personally, I would be fine with some sort of limiting factors on these. A weight limit might be a good idea - grant each LMG and launcher weight based on performance, then limit the maximum carrying capacity. Current best-in-slot gear could potentially weigh more, encouraging use of the lesser-liked LMGs in order to carry a launcher / LMG combo, while freely allowing the use of other standard common-pool primaries / any launcher combo.

As far as C4 is concerned, i'm somewhat divided - I'm fine with HA C4 use vs vehicles, although the spam vs infantry is obnoxious. Perhaps implement a second type of C4 - capable of being placed only when within 10-20 meters of an enemy vehicle, preventing HA's from randomly tossing them into rooms, or over ledges (but auto-seeking / detonating against vehicles, potentially on a timer) . LA's could retain the current version, allowing use in any scenario, while gaining the option to use the new version.

Just a few thoughts
  11. Prodigal

This game actually should be called Infiltratorside, because every noob becomes supa1337 as soon as he plays Infil. And dont try to sell me the lie that cloak is useless, because it's not - if it were useless indeed, nobody would be using it. But it's being used a lot, for the simple reason that it is highly effective, even more so by night.
    • Up x 1
  12. Tarsus

I play TR and I get far more kills as my engineer than I do my heavy, I get FAR more kills than both in my lightening if we are just talking about experience and cert points.

I also don't see more heavies than maxes or engineers, so I don't see what all the fuss is about but maybe the TR heavy is more balanced. Either way heavy should be the main class in an infantry fight, so even if it was a ratio of 2 to 1 then that'd be great and working as intended imho, but I just don't see that kind of ratio, at all.

All that said I would mind in general if all grenades had a small cost associated with them, so for example people just couldn't suicide spam them to take certain flags. (You could replace cost with cooldown for the same effect)
  13. blackboemmel

• Up x 1
  14. omni2

If you think the TR HA is balanced ok, let me tell you a secret.
    They are all nearly the same.

Grenades are fine, maby only the AV grenade is a little bit overperforming. But in general i would say, the AV grenade is how the Frag grenade should work :)

Trust me, the HA is not better perfoming than any other class in this game. This game is just a little bit different and not everyone does know that there is more than just K/D.

The HA fits in the role in where he should be. Other classes like the support classes may sometimes lack of firepower, thats where the HA stands up and shows his class abilety,... firepower!
    Thats why the HA mainly gets his XP from Killing Infantry or destroying vehicles.

Just like Gumpy, he is greate in making flower arrangements, but he will never be a good infiltrator because of his lack of patience.
    Have a look:

and now to something completely different.
    Every other class is OP :p
    • Up x 1
  15. Trebb

Hit registration has been bugging me lately, no way I want to chance it more by aiming for the head.

Just today, I got the drop on an infiltrator. Shot him in the back nearly a full clip, maybe 1 of every 4 bullets gets the damage X, he jump 180s and starts bunnyhopping and winns the encounter! =\
  16. Krinsee

I've always thought of the max as a Breaching unit when it come to infantry combat. and as a mobile firing platform VS Air and armor. My Maxs are kitted out for charging into the middle of the enemy strong point, causing confuision and attacking them with close weaponry while my mates follow in taking out the people looking the other way and ressing me when they get done.

This IS a teamplay game afterall.
  17. Panhawran

LA with brain and skills.
    Nice one.
  18. miraculousmouse

Just in : Forumside back on the LA hate train, jetpack gives fleeing light assaults a bigger advantage in fighting back than the "auto i-win shield".

Get rekt whinerside.
    • Up x 1