[Suggestion] a solution to the win-shield?

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by GHostmarine101, Dec 4, 2014.

1. GHostmarine101

So I've been thinking about how a lot of the time I get the jump on a heavy assault and get them close to death and then they just activate their over shield (this happens mostly with the nanite mesh generator) and they turn around and blast me in the face with whatever they have at the time and kill me with only a sliver of health and only their over shield keeping them alive, Its exceptionally frustrating so I have a suggested solution, so if you're a heavy assault and your standard shield (the blue one) gets depleted this should render you over shield useless if it has not been activated before the standard shield is depleted and not just less effective absolutely useless, meaning it will absorb no damage. this should eliminate the I win button that everyone so dearly loves and hates and would add a certain level of skill to the heavy class e.g. knowing when its a good idea to activate your over shield. I reckon this could work with the NMG and adrenaline shields fine but the resist shield is a different matter.

Now this is just a suggestion so don't go all hostile on me just give a comment of your thoughts on whether or not you think this would actually work.
  2. Keldred

If it didnt have a start-up cost i would be all for it, but as it stands now if it is activated too early then you end up wasting shield. I use adrenaline shield btw.
    • Up x 4
  3. Nalothisal

*insert long gasp*

no
    • Up x 7
  4. Asageh

Todadile
    [IMG]
    • Up x 1
  5. Kulso

What does Todadile have to do with anything?
  6. Erendil

I think this is the wrong approach. It's too obscure and arbitrary. What this will do is confuse and piss off new players playing the HA Class because many of them won't be able to tell why their Overshield suddenly won't activate when they need it the most (when they're hurt).

It would also piss of almost every single current HA player since it would fundamentally change they way that NMG/Adren is used. Right now, you try to wait until the last possible moment before activating NMG/Adren so you don't get the movement penalty. But disabling the Overshield if your regular shield goes down is in direct conflict w/ this existing playstyle.

If you want to nerf the Overshield you need to do it in a simple, natural, obvious way that won't drastically change the way it's been used for the last 2 years.. Like reduce the amount of damage it absorbs.
  7. Asageh

and reduced CD? I think I would enjoy that variant as well.
    • Up x 2
  8. Kulso

Best way to change it. Reduced damage absorbtion and cooldown.
  9. MiniSentrygun

HA is the versatile, staple combat intensive class in PS2. It is meant to be good in combat.
    • Up x 5
  10. Reclaimer77

And it wouldn't be versatile or good at combat without that absurd crutch of a shield?

I'll admit it. I sat right here on the forum and defended HA overshield when I played heavy. But now that I've moved on to more skill-based classes, it's pretty obvious that HA+shield combo is broken.

Isn't having the most offensive power AND the most base defense enough? And the argument that you "need" it to deal with Max units is absurd. If I can kill Max's as a Light Assault or engineer, you can kill them as a heavy.
  11. braytz

that's why it's called HEAVY assault.
  12. xMaxdamage

Dam, this again?
    Ha is not the most played class, numbers show that.
    If you can't beat em is probably because you are not using your class ability/ies the way you should, and you are facing them like you were an heavy assault too, but without the shield.
  13. Reclaimer77

How original. Like we haven't seen that used before here?

My point was it would still be "heavy" without the overshield spam. You still have the most offense AND defense without it.

The shield needs to be toned down or adjusted somehow. We all know this, especially those who use it.
    • Up x 1
  14. xMaxdamage

Lol I don't think so.
  15. xMaxdamage

in a 1 vs 1 even-skill-level fight an engineer with a serpent/gd-7f/lynx would outdps any LMG in the game and would win every gunfight with an HA without shield, and that while still being able to repair, spawn cover, have infinite ammo.

a medic would win even more, while still being able to heal himself (sorta weak shield) and others for free, revive, etc

stop this silly argument.
    • Up x 2
  16. Reclaimer77

So you can't face a heavy and expect to win, even if you're more skilled, because he has a shield and you don't?

You just made the best case for something being overpowered right there. If a win condition is dependent on overshield use, and nothing else, it's by definition OP.

And HA is the most played infantry class. I defy you to post any numbers that show otherwise.
  17. Reclaimer77

HAHAHAHA

Wow! You really believe that?
  18. xMaxdamage

you just are trying to turn my statement in your favor, and jeez not in a really smart way.
    every class has its own skills. if you IGNORE them and go face to face on plain ground versus an HA, you just deserve the loss just like an infiltrator that invites a medic on a heal challenge.

numbers have been posted in another recent thread about the subject, go find em.

hours of carbines equip-time is much more than double the hours of LMGs equip time (it was like 39k versus 14k)

both HA and ENG equip battle rifles so lets keep them out.
    no reason to consider HA more "shotgun/SMG friendly" than engineers and LAs, so keep them out too.
    whatever you think the % of engineers and LAs is, if you split by two the total carbine equip time you will never get something inferior to 14k (lmg equip time) for both LAs and engineers. this proves then LAs and/or engineers are more used than HA (probably engineers are)
    and the fact that engineers are sitting in their tanks allday doesn't mean they need to be in pair with HAs when their on foot. being the vehicle class is one of their strenghts and is what makes the engineer the most used, most versatile class of planetside 2.

without a shield? I dont need belief.
  19. Leivve

Make resist shield stronger, defualt and stronger. Boom done.

The problem is not only that the mesh shield is a little stronger at max rank, you can also stack nanite armor on top of it. You can't do that with resist. You have nanite and when you activate your shield it's replaced with the resist shields damage reduction.

If the Mesh can resist 750 damage (Just throwing a number out, I don't actually remember the exact number off hand.) with it and armor, then the Resist should be able to block 800.

Now you have a shield that is stronger and rewards good use, while still rewarding players who can catch you with your pants down.
  20. Reclaimer77

Couple of reason why Carbine equip time isn't a good indicator of numbers of classes.

1. More than one class can use Carbines, only heavies can use LMG's

2. If you're sitting in a vehicle all day, as Engineers do, your equip time is going to be pretty darn high.

Anyone who actually plays this game knows 8 out of every 10 players you see is a Heavy. Take your massages statistics elsewhere please.

And if you really think you need the shield to compete as an HA against Carbines and SMG's, you're not a very good player. Which honestly, matches my observations perfectly. Most HA's I see are just really bad players who rely on the shield to get whatever kills they can. Most BR 100 heavies aren't even that good. Because honestly any idiot can shield-tank his way to BR 100 in this game.