A SCATMAX tries the Mercy (yup)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Laraso, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Robes

He lived. You failed.

Had he died, you would not have failed.

Sorry.
  2. Laraso

Why don't you go back and re-read everything I wrote, and perhaps watch the video one more time.

I never once said the Mercy is overpowered.
    I clearly stated that I agreed the NC MAX was overpowered in MAX vs MAX battles pre-nerf.

Nothing you said is relevant to my original post at all.
  3. carbonite

OP, Laraso, I am not going to bash your post, nor really support it, as much as I am just going to voice my opinion on the whole MAX situation.

The adjustments made to the NC MAX, where badly needed. Personally, all MAXes need to have adjustments made to their weapons and general features.

MAXes should not be infantry killing machines like they currently are, instead they should be more supported by engineers, and their surrounding comrades - as you where in your TR video. You could not dare rush in and begin instantly slaughtering infantry. You had to hold back, and maintain the support link with your engineer. Pre-patch, NC MAXes could perform such a feet to great prevail, either by themselves or most definitely in a group. Now its been ham-stringed to an extent, but not fully.

Lets face it NC MAXes are Planetside 2's close range MAX units. TR and VS are Planetside 2's more medium to long range MAXes. The recent adjustments to NC MAX weaponry just further defined that engagement space. Moreover it tweaked the balance of MAX battles, and MAXes' effectiveness against infantry in general for the better.

The post made by other members stating that having a shotgun system on a MAX suit in the first place had no business in this game, i must agree with. Shotguns (semi, auto, and pump) in the hands of infantry single wielded are hard to balance, yet along an exo-suited with multi-barrel shotguns that are dual wield-able. It is equivalent to Metalstorm - it just decimates ALL THE THINGS instantaneously. How is balancing such a system feasible or logical, it isn't.

In foresight the addition of common pool flamethrowers and grenades launchers to MAXes will open up new avenues and engagement spaces for the MAX unit. The flamethrowers should allow all the MAXes to have a fair playing space CQC. While the grenade launcher should offer another method for outdoor crowd control. Only time will tell how OP or UP - balanced - these weapon systems will be in Planetside 2's play space.

With all that being said, I made a thread not to long ago discussing in depth what should become of MAXes here: http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/planetside-2-classes-fleshing-them-out.104453/

All in all, OP there are some good points and bad points that you made. However, MAXes need to be adjusted in some shape form or fashion across the board to make them more of support instead of left click to win.
  4. Laraso

Your post is one of the few I've seen in this thread that are rather well thought out.

I don't agree with everything you said, but I'm curious; why is it that you believe the MAX should not be a "killing machine"? Is there a rational reason to back that up, or is that simply a "they shouldn't be because I don't want them to be" type of thing?
  5. VexTheRaven

There's a huge difference between my equipment being inadequate, and failing. If I was able to force him to flee with a biplane, I'd have utterly demolished him with another jet.

Oh, wait. You're one of THOSE guys. Those guys that don't understand the concept of skill, only kills and deaths. Nevermind.

Regardless, a nerf was the right move. Buffing other MAXes and giving other MAXes shotguns would've been stupid. The game doesn't need a class that auto-wins fights.
  6. Kanzy

So you couldn't bring your self to kill NC ehh? fair enough, just the fact that you killed all those VS made my day, Kudos to you.
  7. Laraso

Think about it this way:

That crappy WWI biplane you have cost you absolutely nothing. It's completely free and you can use it as much as you want to. Even if you get shot down, you can just get into another one immediately.

That jet cost him quite a bit of resources, and he's not going to be able to get into another one for ten minutes.

Do you not agree that the jet is entitled to some advantages to make it worth using over the biplane?
  8. carbonite

Personally, it just doesn't feel right to me for one something to have all that power. MAXes can instantly turn the tide of a battle, especially when used strategically. Strategy and team work should be the things that change the tide in a battle, not a piece of hardware.
  9. Robes

No, not even close.

So I'm sorry to tell you but the fact that he lived, especially with you saying how much better you are than him, just proves that you failed, and you have no forethought into actually gearing for what you're going to be doing. Which is really the only thing that takes skill in this game. Everything else that would be skillful is very standard for any game (knowing which angle to come in from, what the **** is going on around you etc etc).

And I'm not sure if you think im arguing that they didn't need nerfed, because they did, I'm just purely commenting on what you said, not the thread.
  10. MGAMIKA

Hey NC guys lets just abandon our shottys and go for our Falcons instead and slice these fools that wanted the nerfs for the NC max (but please spare those that wanted buffs for the TR and VS maxes). So then we can have another nerf for our max as it is OP at long range then. XD
  11. Kanzy

Using MAXs Strategically IS team Work and just just hardware, charging or defending with MAXs at the right time and having Eng around for repair and ammo isn't teamwork?
  12. Jachim

Bottom line is this: They need to buff all MAX's. I hope the changes coming for them do just that. They should be killing machines that instill fear into the hearts of infantry swarms, supporting an infantry advance on hard to dislodge targets as they were intended.

Those who demand the ability to solo a MAX are simply COD-lovers who insist everything should be nerfed to the point it can be killed by one soldier instead of using teamwork and perhaps your own MAX suits to compliement.

They need to think in more than one-dimension.
  13. Bankrotas

Increasing max power would be fine, if the cost would increase too.
  14. Deltafoxnine

3) "The SCATMAX was overpowered in MAX vs MAX battles, with it you could instagib an enemy MAX who had engineer support!"

Now it does not instant gib enemy MAXs and people are happy with where it is. It can still tear through infantry but it actually has to fight against other MAXs rather than just press F to close dinstance and "win". So we are all happy hurray!
  15. Sledgecrushr

I dont want to nerf mercies. I want a NS variant of mercies so my NC max is relevant past 5 meters.
  16. Cougarbrit

Yeah, Mercies are a murder machine, don't use them myself as I haven't upgraded my MAX much beyond a second burster, AA is pretty much the only thing I personally use it for right now, but I'll probably save up some certs for the MAX update. Anyways yeah, I've seen plenty of TR MAXes swearing by them and my own tests on VR, while imperfect, found them pretty usable even at 50m, though that's the distance where people will generally have plenty of chance to run into cover and strafing will work best.

The problem was, as stated, MAX v MAX balance, where the NC had the upper hand. That's been brought in line now but probably was a little harsh on their AI role. Personally, I'd say the root of the problem, is shotguns. Shotguns are antifun in this game. Trading ability at range in return for domination at CQC is not fun for CQC, it just turns into a slaughterhouse of shotgun pellets. As far as I'm concerned, shotguns shouldn't even be in this game, and by giving the NC MAX shotguns, it immediately unbalanced it against the MG MAXes of the TR/VS. Far as I'm concerned, there is no happy ground for the shotgun to sit that's fun for both sides of the argument.

Now, for my other point, I've seen a lot of NC/VS spew some garbage about the TR in this thread. I'm not talking the MErcies here, I'm talking all the other no-thought-required slapdash 'hurr durr this is OP' comment as if it was some base principle known by all. The hurr durr 'TR have mosquito, prowler, Trac, Carv' post. None of these are OP, at all, and I don't know why people keep saying they are, especially after the Prowler and CARV have already been hit by nerfs. It's like these people are just spreading these rumours like mindless memetics based on things that happened a while ago, be it a bug (for the prowler) or a pre-nerf state that was about 4 GUs ago (for the Carv).
    • Up x 1
  17. loleator

nc max nerfs were needed, in fact they might want to nerf them more since they are still ridiculous, but that's an oppinion
    changing empire to get the rest of the maxes nerfed is pathetic, I laught of you
  18. Poka

So the NC had the worst overall (91% from top), worst MBT (80% from top), and worst ESF (85% from top) score per hour, while vanu had the worst max score (89% from top), and you're complaining? Why would you post stats showing how terrible NC is, then argue they need to be more terrible?

NC is the worst, better nerf NC. Phoenix is decent? Better nerf phoenix. Max is decent? Better nerf max.
  19. Goretzu

To the head, it would take 3 shots to the body for a non-pumpaction slug, the DPS though is lower than the Mercy at almost any range, that's just how it is.

I would suggest you are the one that had never actually used them, given that slugs basically have all the Mercys downsides AND quite a few of their own on top.

How you can say something that is worse than the Mercy in every way is "better" I have no idea. o_O
  20. Kracken

LOL @ Thread. NC get nerfed yet again.

AND WE STILL WIN. What now? Nerf NC CAP timers?
    • Up x 1