How can we promote engineers to actually throw down ammo?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Dulu, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Vortok

[IMG]

Our mistake sir, we didn't realize.
  2. Raidin

1. Dropping ammo is cumbersome. This is especially true when using the ACE tool version. If SOE makes it simpler to just pop it down (not having to deal with people getting in the way and cancelling the drop, or the occasional random drop failure), it would help alleviate the issue.
    2. Not enough people check the mini-map, and it's also very cluttered. Give us an ammo pack indicator on the screen for the nearest one, with direction and distance/elevation.
    3. Speed up resupply and keep the speed constant. Resupplying still takes a few moments at times. I often find that swapping to a lower population faction sometimes doubles or even triples how fast I gain ammo (also depends on where I am). The speed should be high and constant, regardless of population or action in the area.
    As is with many things, the simpler and more efficient something works, the more likely it will be used. Difficulty just discourages it.
    • Up x 1
  3. Jex =TE=

he also had ample opportunity to hit people which could have resulted in a kill assist and stopped them from shooting out but he just wanted all those kills for himself AND ammo packs delivered to his feet

Selfish a little?
  4. FateJH

I find the biggest problem is that, when I throw down ammo, it has to be right on top of them or no one realizes it. I have to go into proximity chat and anounce "Ammo here: <location>" and I was previously very cautious about that because I thought all factions use a global proximity chat (yeah, now I know they don't). Worst is when someone ewas standing somewhere, I'm going to give them ammo, but they run off, still with the icon over their head.

It's like I have to Q-"Let me give you ammo" whenever I see "I need ammo," and that just delays the drop.
  5. JoltinJoe

Let me guess:

OP also complains when his mama doesn't spoon feed his food directly into his mouth. Get off your butt you lazy bum!
  6. Pockets

I drop my ammo packs near larger concentrations of troops, sometimes in doorways if allies are swarming through. I give different roles various priorities though.

AA is first up, MAXs then HA. They are doing a boring thankless job that is needed, so they get it first. The main push or defensive line gets it next, I'll look for need ammo icons. Snipers get it last.

If anyone shoots me for ammo or spams it over and over I drop c4 instead.
    • Up x 1
  7. Jestunhi

*sigh*

Just one more piece of evidence that KDR does not show us how good, or useful, a player is.
  8. NightFall

WOW. great job making the whole NC population seem like arrogant little 5 year old pri.cks that need everything hand fed.

Reported
  9. Zorlox

well then, i'm apparently not as 'pro' as i thought lmao. I've never even been in the loadout options for turret since I rarely ever use it, I much prefer to be on the move instead of camping. thx for the tip i might finally always have proxi's on me. and it's once every minute, why the heck would I waste certs on ammo, if you're stuck in the same spot for more than 1 minute you aren't doing it right har har.

apparently laughing my butt off is censored now, this is ridiculous and getting out of control, not like every single word can't be used in a demeaning fashion.
  10. Spookydodger

I think a big problem isn't the reward, obviously throwing down ammo gives the engineer points.

It's that many engineers now have explosives and they don't know the alt-fire (B) button for their mana-turret switches it to an ammo pack.

Sure, some are just oblivious. I would like to see a change of having little "need ammo" icons on my minimap for people who have requested it to facilitate helping, and for Engineers to appear on the map as potential sources of ammo in addition to ammo itself being shown.

Edit: LOL at the ammo pack to your SE that you were too busy to go take advantage of.
  11. Dulu

Yeah, Engineers and Medics are so useful...

But, killing the enemy Engineers and Medics, not to mention HA's and everything else... Not useful at all?

You little betas are funny.
  12. Loegi

Never even implied that mate. And you didn't kill Medics either, maybe two at most. Still not "Counter Sniping".
  13. Dulu

So, lets tally up the kills, shall we?

How many HA's and Engineers did I kill? How many times did I prevent those turrets from being repaired/rebuilt?
  14. Spookydodger

You turn your turret into ammo by switching to your turret and pressing B for its alt fire mode.

That then turns it into an ammo pack you can throw down. This enables you to carry explosives and an ammo pack or throw down 2 ammo packs.
    • Up x 2
  15. Loegi

About eleven in total or so I guess. I think I saw the turret operational most of the times, and you allowed a lot of HAs to still fire rockets.
    Still irrelevant to what I was saying.
  16. DeltaGun

The game already rewards engineers for putting down ammo. I've found that a good way to get ammo when nobody else will do it, is to ask Tank commanders for ammo. If you can get their attention they will often pop out of their tank and drop some for you.
    • Up x 2
  17. Spookydodger

I don't think you're really getting out of the "elitist snob" mold you've fashioned for yourself. Sure killing engineers idiotic enough not to dance was helping keep the turret down longer, but I think most people will probably focus on how the turret came up again anyhow. It takes a LOT of repairing, even with a highly certed tool, to get a turret up and running so you probably weren't focusing on that.

So it was more "convenient place to kill farm" rather than "noble effort for the team".
  18. Tiedemann

And how the hell would I know what sniper is actually doing anything good in the middle of a battle?

It's not like the sniper guys are the most valuable ppl overall in this game (except in their own heads I guess).
  19. Spookydodger

There was a bug once that ammo packs thrown into a space where someone existed or quickly walked into caused it to not actually spawn. Perhaps that was the situation in this case?
  20. Spookydodger

Sometimes this happens to me. Often I find that an ammo pack is laying less than 10 meters in some direction. Sometimes, though, I literally can't get anyone to drop any, especially if I am out on a road somewhere helping to keep the skies clear. Then I run out, and the vultures come.