Why is Amerish so unpopular?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Fiatsu, Jan 2, 2013.

1. MeltingCPU

I thought it was the prettiest continent with green vegetation and brown mountains. But then again I've been only there once or twice.
  2. AUSGrizzly

Haven't you heard...

The game is called "Planetsky 2 : The Crown" after all..
  3. cc2001

I and several of our outfit pilots find the same thing. Amerish has cover for breaking ground AA LOS. If you get smart AA on Esamir that actually waits to open up on you then there isn't much you can do.

On Amerish there is almost always a mountain to duck behind quickly.

As far as bombing, depending upon where you're at you can't always sit at max ceiling, but you can get pretty close. Alternatively you can pop in and out over mountains too to take out AA since most of the time it won't relocate after being spotted. Fly 1 pass, identify AA location, communicate with pilot/gunner, repair, return and destroy the AA. Rinse&repeat. There is also less overlapping base AA on Amerish than Indar.

Air resources are better distributed on Amerish than Esamir unless you're NC. So combine poor air resources with long open views making it easier to get shot down and flying on Esamir is more of a PITA than Amerish.

Our ground guys dislike Amerish. If I'm going to be in a tank I want to either be on Esamir or N Indar. If I'm in the air I want to be on Amerish or Indar.
  4. Kiekeboe

Only map I'm never on is Esamir it's just open magrider country
  5. Kid Gloves

Indar has a really distinct feel between its three areas (north, southeast, southwest) with the Crown sitting at the point where they all meet. Esamir has a nice mix of ravines and open plateaus, along with the bridges-over-ice that present some interesting battle scenarios.

Amerish is just endless mountain passes and very same-y feeling terrain. It needs a bit of spice - a lake, a significant flat area with forests, some rolling hills.

Too many windy roads that all go to the same place, too. Its like the whole map was designed by the guy (or gal) who made bases boring.
  6. Zotamedu

It's not that infantry friendly since it's a real pain to walk there. Either you follow the road and get killed or you try your luck in the mountains and get stuck on a pebble that my HA seems to be too fat to climb. Then I try taking another rout which leads to a drop that kills me. It seems only LA can navigate that freaking map. There are some pretty cool bases there and I would love to play more but the logistics is just too complicated.
  7. Ashur

Mountains, winding roads, mountains, more mountains, more god damn mountains, more winding roads.

The path that would take you 30 seconds in indar takes 5 minutes in amerish, doing any sort of large scale operation on amerish is an exercise in frustration, especially for the VS and our ****** starting position.
  8. Thagyr

I love Amerish, it's the off-road ATV bike race continent.
  9. Linedan

I must be the only guy that likes fighting on Space 'murrica. I have just as much trouble with the mountains on Indar...remember where NC's warpgate is on Indar, we're stuck down in those canyons and don't have the easy option to get on the high terrain around the passes from the southeast/south. Amerish is definitely a Light Assault-friendly place though, with some of the slopes up into bases being unclimbable by anything but jetpack.
  10. Shockfrosted

Amerish is beautiful, but it's impractical.
    The canyons make small amounts of aircraft easy to ambush by AA, so anyone going air there has to bring a zerg. And god do they.
    Tanks and sunderers constantly fight the terrain, lots of places to get stuck as well.
    Infantry has to deal with a whole lot of hiking, making it painful to get from base to base - especially when un-climbable mountains come along.
  11. Monnor

Oh yeah, infantrie stoping bottlenecks, someone smart made amerish.
    • Up x 1
  12. Leondre

I dunno, I love everything about it. My fav. location by far.

Then again I also hate everything about Indar.
  13. Shockfrosted

I find Indar miserable as well. Dry, dead, desert areas. Bleeeeh.
  14. Zotamedu

Bottlenecks are fine but they lose their charm when all the lead to is more bottleneck. There's a great one on Indar, north of Hvar. I think it's called Quartz Ridge. You get from an open desert, attack a small base at the foot of a canyon leading to the rolling grasslands around the Vanu Warpgate. It's a fun place to fight and it can be a pain since Vanu can get magriders shooting down from the sides. I've seen some nice battles there and when you push through. You can spread out again and start fighting both small outposts and a couple of large bases. It's a great design.
  15. Wargrim

Amerish is the best continent imho, it is a bloody shame all the guys who regard rolling in a huge tank zerg, surrounding open indefensible bases and then shelling the crap out of them as the pinnacle of strategy and enjoyable gameplay seem to be afraid of going to a place where infantry can actually fight back with mines, ambushes and such. I see the same trend on southeast Indar, less combat there than it used to be.
    • Up x 1
  16. Sirisian

As a VS Liberator pilot there are no air resources and the terrain gives VS a disadvantage. Pushing from the warpgate or taking and holding any base is very difficult and it's very easy to get pushed back due to the few spawn locations and upwards terrain making Sunderers very hard to place and use in that region.

To actually play on Amerish I first get 750 air resources on Indar then go to Amerish for a bit and then I have to go back to Indar to get more resources. The metagame and terrain there literally destroyed any opportunity for VS to have a fun fight.
  17. WUNDER8AR

because the TR never really bothers to attack anything beyond The Crown. the grass is greener on our side:p
  18. ozziewolf

I love Amerish but I rarely ever see more than one faction there at a time. What I've been seeing lately is each faction takes a continent and then they sit on their continent with 60% pop.
  19. Shockfrosted

Whenever I give in to the whining of my TR mates and actually go to Indar, I see nothing but brown. Maybe it is a TR thing, but I just can't be bothered.
    Besides, I love Esamir and when that is not plausible, Amerish is pretty enough to distract me.
  20. mlane16

Actually there is a reason that I think alot people of pointed out.

However first, I would like to respond to one other reply:
    Technically, while funny HLM that is not 100% true. There is one base between the vanu and the NC that is like the crown and can only be taken by air. I am not going to mention the name of this base for now, b/c I want people to realize it for themselves.

The reason that the TR and to some extent the NC have such an easier time on Amerish is due to a Terrian Advantage. Forgive me if I am repeating what someone else said, but if you look at the vechile and air resource allocation for Amerish, the vechile resources favor the south and east more than the west.

Actually the TR have same problem with Esamir that the Vanu have with Amerish. On Esamir all the aircraft resources are closer to the NC and Vanu then they are for the TR, thus its hard to refill Air resources. This means that as a faction air is in one sense more expensive to the TR on Esamir than anyother contenient and often we tend to loose in air-ground and air-air combat more often.
    I feel like this is a feature in the game, because it represents the natural terrain and resource imbalance in real-life prolonged warefare.