Can we PLEASE do something about camos?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Hashi, Dec 26, 2012.

1. MgnfcntBstrd

Just remember, every VS wearing NC-looking camo is as likely to be blown away by his own team as by yours. Happens all the time.
  2. Malsvir Vishe

Not really, because you should have learned by now what the body type of your faction is, and what the other factions look like. If you can't figure that out, then of course people are going to be "QQ CAMOS ARE OVERPOWERED P2W". It's honestly not pay to win for a few reasons.

1: Showing up on the minimap. If they have a suppressor, then their damage and bullet drop are worsened.
    2: Recon darts. You should have an infiltrator who is good at placing these. They are absolutely GREAT for detecting who's defending a control point, where they are, and what the defenses in the room are.
    3: You can hear footsteps if your audio system is good enough.
    4: You can see shadows.
    5: Infiltrators are meant to be sneaky, though they're not the BIGGEST problem to a zerg or defending one, since they can only really pick people off in a zerg. Prox mines and Infis can be detected with IR sights, as well as camo'd people.
    6: Know the terrain. If there seems to be something off about the terrain, then pop it with one or two bullets. It's better to shoot at something that's not there than not shoot at something that IS there. Or just knife 'em.
    7: Not all camos fit a variety of situations. Most of the time, a camo can stick out like a sore thumb.

Those are six ways to overcome camo. It's not hard to do so, actually. Will more people play infiltrator? Yes. I feel it's an underplayed class and almost everyone goes basic infantry (which means not Infi or MAX).
  3. Malsvir Vishe

Then a possibility is to allow the faction colors to be seen on a helmet. Perfect fix for camo. It mostly hides someone, but the person can easily be identified if the dorito doesn't pop up.
  4. Jestunhi

Speaking as a TR, my helmets have a butt-load of red on them.

Some of the newer helmets sold for SC have more camo coverage, but still not complete as far as I have seen.

:edit:

Can people really not identify my faction?
    [IMG]
  5. Tasogie

It is instantly apparent what faction is what, within literally 1 second you know who your facing.
  6. Malsvir Vishe

Exactly. TR helmets are easy to identify at both day and night time. Make camo fully cover the body and weapon, but make the helmet stick out.
  7. {joer

Are you being difficult on purpose or do you really think that having someone look very much like your side BUT only available for the other side to use is somehow fair?

Seriously, this isn't rocket science. On my TR when I put on cammo and my first thought was "hell I look a lot like an NC", and thats as a TR not a VS which is worse.
  8. Cowboyhomer

I dont get this...I have never had a problem deciding if I need to shoot or not. All my buddies have a blue triangle over their heads and if they dont I shoot. The only time it becomes a factor is at really long distances. If they are close and dont have the blue triangle over their head then shoot it. Works for me everytime. All my team kills are either someone runs into a rocket that I cant stop once I shot it or they came running around a corner after someone I am shooting at :)
  9. Ixal

1. Only when they fire and not just wait or use a knife.
    2. So you have to be an Infiltrator and use up your Recon Darts behind your own lines?
    3. And those are always enemy footsteps? Could be a friendly.
    4. See 3. Could be a friendly.
    5.-7 What? The problem is that VS can make them look like NC. What hat Terrain to do with that?

The VS clearly has a camo advantage. They can make themselves look like NC, making them hard to spot in a crowd and giving them an advantage in a surprise encounter usually meaning that they can shoot first. Also they have very dark camos, too making them harder to spot in the darkness.
  10. Jestunhi

It's not rocket science to identify someone either. But some people seem to be treating it like it is.

But that's because all these people do is glance at whatever is moving for a split second and assume they can then guess which faction they are instead of actually identifying them visually or via the spotting mechanic.
  11. Ixal

And when you do that you loose the initiative.
  12. Malsvir Vishe

1: If you see a red dot, it's enemy fire. Pay attention to the minimap. Expand it with H. Teach yourself to use your peripherals to instantly spot from where someone's firing.
    2: You don't have to be an infiltrator. Run in a squad and encourage someone to be an infiltrator, or encourage the platoon to have at least three infiltrators. It is AMAZING what six to eight recon darts can do.
    3: That's why you look for the dorito or the silhouette.
    4: That's why you prepare yourself as they walk around the corner. You can get the jump on someone if you know someone's there, but they have no idea where you are. Be unpredictable.
    5-7: This is why I'm suggesting to balance it out between all factions. Make it so that the helmet is an obvious indicator for faction. Look for the post directly after the one you quoted. It should be by me.
  13. GraphicJ

I feel for the NC against the VS wearing Giraffe cammos. To say to simply hit the "Q" to spot him while you're only 3-5 feet away is pretty much asinine. This cammo shouldn't be so deliberately similar to NC armor in the first place. This coming from a guy who dislikes the dirty, stinky NC hippies. ;)
  14. Tasogie

omg its a Vanu!!! quickly someone run up an ask him if its ok to shoot at him, just a little bit.... :p
  15. Tasogie

Your wrong mate sorry. in 300 hours of playing this game I have not one single time ever mis took a target. giraffe is not indistinguishable... You instantly know he is an enemy.
  16. Hashi

Regardless, it's a camo and it resembles the NC default colours way too much. I'm not saying to give the other factions cross colours but to take away the beige ones because at the end of the day, I bet you some people get screwed because of it ...
  17. GraphicJ

Last time I checked the color spectrum, purple looks very similar and shares many color traits as blue. Red is by far not even close to it. [IMG]

So either you play as RED TR or you just haven't met up with many VS giraffes. Either way, always remember that VS are the "indigo" of PS2:

[IMG][IMG][IMG]
    • Up x 2
  18. Rainfey

Easy steps to making the best use of camo :
    1) Equip snow camo infiltrator
    2) Cloak and run over to enemy sunderer
    3) Walk up to group of snow camo'd enemies
    4) Shoot one in the back, cloak and run away
    5) Watch and laugh as they freak out and TK each other.

It happens every once in a while. Irritating? yes, but camo gets you TK'd just as much as it grants you a free kill.
    (The number of times i have ran past a teammate, only to have him freak out and start spraying)

Though i admit the giraffe camo does make VS almost indistinguishable to NC, and in frantic CQC fights you dont stop to press Q. You identify targets based on how they look, then fire.
  19. Tasogie

lol if it shoots, its a target, I have Q linked to a button on my mouse so it is an involuntary movment now that I always do.
  20. Hashi

look it's not a matter of adapting it's a matter of changing this problem so that the only thing people have to look for is people blending in with the ENVIRONMENT