Game Freezing/skipping Frequently

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Fergus, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Fergus

Hello so I have really been enjoying planetside 2, but for some reason I am unable to play the game without experiencing massive skips or freezes.

I will be playing for anywhere between 2 to like 6 minutes of smooth 60 fps gameplay and then suddenly and seemingly randomly my frames drop to 0 and I am stuck frozen for a a few seconds to like 30 seconds. It happens constantly and often at the worst times. I am wondering if anyone has encountered this issue or has any information as to why this might be happening. I did a factory wipe of my pc yesterday and am still having the same issues. Along with, I have messed around with my settings and followed youtube tutorials for increasing FPS/performance after base settings did not work.

My specs are:
    AMD A10-7700K 3.4 GHz
    8GB ram (7 usable)
    GeForce GTX 1060 Ggb

Thanks in advance!
    • Up x 1
  2. AgentRed

If you are using the latest NVIDIA Driver (451.48) it could be causing the freezing issue in some games. I hear if you roll it back to 446.14 you might be safe.
  3. Fergus

Ill give it a try and let you know the result soon. I appreciate the fast response!
  4. NotziMad

There's a thread about this already here :

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps...t-dont-crash-that-are-really-frequent.254791/

But to sum it up, like Agent Red said, it's related to the latest NVIDIA driver which introduces a new feature that the PS2 game doesn't like.

So one solution is to roll back, the other solution I found, as a quick fix, or workaround, is to select windowed mode, then fullscreen.

The "trigger" seems to be when you alt tab. So if you alt tab, and are using the latest driver, just go into windowed mode then back to fullscreen or whatever you had originally. (that'll work until you alt tab again)
  5. Fergus

I rolled it back and it has so far made it to where there is no freezing or skipping! Sorry that I had not seen that thread already. I appreciate the responses and the help. I am once again able to play smoothly.
    • Up x 1
  6. J0hn978

7. jacksomjimmy

I have major trouble with in game (dead space 2 and fallout: new vegas) random freezing, when happened, whole PC becomes unresponsive, so manual restart is required, ctrl-alt-del wont work .. graphic card drivers updated, direct x updated, win 7 32 updated, firewall disabled, fallout updated, so far no luck .. interesting that picture freezes randomly, but sound stays in the background, I dont think it's game related, mentioned games freezes very similar .. any suggestion? thanks! Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R QuadCore Intel Core i5 750 4 GB DDR3 Corsair NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Creative Audigy SE (SB0570) Sound Card with modded drivers Direct X 11.0 Windows 7 32 bit free avast
  8. tigerchips

I can only recommend you reset windows and be careful which drivers you install. Do not install drivers from nvidia website, it's full of bloat anyway. Windows 10 & 11 will install all the drivers you need automatically. Don't install optional windows drivers either, they are not needed and are sometimes buggy.

My Windows 10 has automatically installed 536.23. Although not the latest driver, it is stable for PS2.

Edit: it's probably true that a game may need the latest driver, in which case only install the graphics driver.
  9. Mithril Community Manager

GTX 260 cards do not meet the minimum system requirements. You can find the minimum and optimal system requirement lists here.

Also please make a new forum thread next time.