CPU spikes to 100% I7 4790K

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by J0hn978, Jul 7, 2020.

1. J0hn978

So for some reason the game has started having CPU spikes to 100% for me lately, game freezes for about 5 seconds and then resumes going back to like 50-60% usage approximately and around 100-150fps at the warpgate.

Im running the game on high settings with shadows off and flora to low, view distance 1200 and textures on ultra.

My setup is:

I7 4790K watercooled (65 celcius under heavy load) (cores unparked and setup with a maximum power plan)
    Msi gaming trio rtx 2080 super
    16gb DDR3 1600mhz
    Msi Z97 gaming 7
    32" 144hz 2560x1440
    Corsair 850w power supply

Game is installed on a samsung ssd and validated game files with no corrupted or missing files. I have all unnecessary bloatware uninstalled since way back (msi ai suite etc.)

So why in the h#ll is the game spiking to 100% cpu usage and freezes for 5 seconds before going back to normal? I've searched for days now and nothing.. My system is more than enough to run the game, so what could be doing this and why?
    • Up x 3
  2. Seethen

Have confirmed the same issue, just started today. 100% CPU load every minute or so coinciding with a 5-10 second freeze. Sometimes PS2 crashed to desktop, other times it recovered only to happen over and over again.

I5 4690k
    RTX 2060
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Installed and validated on Sandisk SSD
  3. J0hn978

I've done some poking around and even got a new main C ssd today as the one I had was nearly 8 years old. Will get back to you if it stops and I'll let you know what I did. Fingers crossed..
  4. ohmikkie

i've been getting this too for the past few days.

i7-6820HK
    32768MB RAM
    GTX 1070 24442 MB
  5. J0hn978

Well sadly it's still there but now it only happened once in 1.5 hours, as compared to before it used to happen maybe once every 15-30 minutes.

It's an improvement but not completely cured. What I did was to run Malwarebytes just in case I somehow had gotten something unwanted in my pc (I also use Bitdefender) but I only found 2 unwanted files that to my knowledge isn't malware. I also removed even more unecessary programs and a few bloatware that still existed, i would recommend going through your entire list of installed programs and simply check on google if you really need those programs or if you can uninstall them. Some programs you know you need of course, but check up the others and if not needed simply remove them.

Run a clean with Ccleaner, remove files, clean the registry. Install Driver Fusion and update drivers you probably didn't even knew needed to or had an update.

In-game settings, well that's just for you to experiment around with. But some settings that shouls be set if you're struggling with fps is graphics quality to low, textures to ultra (lower than ultra and it demands more of your system because it has to downscale it), shadows off/low, flora off/low, vsync off and the rest of the tickboxes unticked. The rest of the settings I keep on high and my fps is fine, 120-145 in the warpgate and 50-145 in battles.

If there's anything you're wondering about, please ask.
  6. J0hn978

• Up x 1
  7. 9VoltChiken

I am already on NVIDIA driver 446.14 and I can confirm
    I'm also experiencing these same crazy high CPU use spikes that I have not seen for 5 years on i7 4790K with RTX 2070 and on Xeon E3 1231-v3 with GTX 1080
    Previously I could run all all high and ultra (shadows off because i don't like them aesthetically) and be well over 90 fps all the time.
    Now I see it drop to 17 sometimes. It's awful :eek:
    [IMG]
  8. Blackdragon88

Can confirm that it is fixed by rolling back nvidia drivers.

It was happening to me, I rolled back my drivers to May release to be sure. No issue so far. No freezing or hanging.

If you're using Nvidia like me, (1050ti Geforce), try a rollback and see how you do. It sucks but hopefully this will be looked at by the ps2 devs / nvidia.
  9. J0hn978

Yeah gonna rollback now and test when the servers are back up again. What I'm hoping for is that they'd add support for more cores/threads >.>
  10. Seethen

I can confirm that rolling back drivers to my previous version completely solves the issue.
  11. Netherlands

Nvidia driver 451.67 is out. There is no specific fix for this problem mentioned in de release notes. I think this is the same bug that is in Assassin’s Creed Odyssey. In the Graphics options using Windowed or Fullsceen Windowed mode should be solving this problem as a workaround in Planetside 2. What i read is that this problem only exists if you use 2 monitors.
  12. 9VoltChiken

You can toggle Fullscreen to Windowed or vice versa with Alt+Enter. I tried regressing Nvidia Drivers back 1 at a time even to 430.86 (Feb2019) & no improvement. Uninstalled all windows updates that I've gotten since I played last, about a few weeks ago. At that time I was getting very high FPS on everything set to ultra besides shadows.
    I've now tested on 3 machines:
    i7 3820 with GTX 980
    Xeon E3 1231-v3 with GTX 1080
    i7 4790K with RTX 2070

I run MSI afterburner to see cpu/gpu temperatures & % Usage and the GPU as always is barely even under load but the CPU usage is all over the place wildly fluctuating from 30-100 about 3 times a second. Planetside2 ran amazingly well at the Bastion update and for 4 years before this! These updates are fantastic but then this sorta thing happens and i feel it's time to leave again for a year

WHAT GIVES DEVS? PLEASE HELP. :(
    WHAT HAS CHANGED IN RECENT UPDATES THAT COULD CAUSE THIS?
    [IMG]
  13. J0hn978

I had this problem with only one screen so..
    • Up x 1
  14. J0hn978

I too use afterburner but my gpu uses up to 50% or more at times, if you put the graphics setting lower it should use more gpu instead of cpu. Thus giving more headroom for the cpu and less risk of spiking to 100%.

Quote from reddit: "[Planetside GeForce tweak guide](https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/planetside-2-tweak-guide) is actually really good.

A quick rundown:

* Shadows to Medium or Low. If you want the best perf then turn off the shadows, but the game can't look good without any shadows.
    * Graphics Quality to Medium, Low as last resort. It got decoupled from overall quality and impacts a slew of effects that can't be adjusted elsewhere. The biggest upside of lowering Graphics to Medium/Low is much clearer visibility/presentation
    * Fog Shadows off. Significant perf impact, not really necessary to make the game look good.
    * Keep AO on.
    * Lighting Low or High. Small perf impact, mostly visual preference. Low is idential to Medium but performs better.
    * Particles to Low, Motion Blur off
    * Cap your framerate at what you can actually achieve. If you have a FreeSync/GSync monitor use it. It makes a significant impact in terms of how well the game feels at low FPS."

Personally I don't use freesync but I have limited my fps to 144 so to not go over my monitors refresh rate.
    • Up x 1
  15. 9VoltChiken

yeah true it would use more GPU if you set the textures to a lower setting because of scaling them however if you have a 2080 then there's MORE than enough VRAM. Even 4GB is enough for the full Ultra textures so there's really no reason to need to lower that for anyone with 4Gb or over VRAM GPU. I spent a long time researching everything related to performance in this game to help those with much worse hardware than myself & have helped a lot of people get to 40 fps with more eye-candy. when were getting 10 fps with everything at low simply by having them turn shadows OFF * use 1280x720 via the useroptions.ini rather than 1920x1080.

I agree that guide is very good & applies to anything hardware 4 years old or more, however Effects sometimes overdraws flak & explosions so that can get costly on some of those older machines too.
    Really the Fog Shadows is more like when you drive with brights on in the fog. So Fog Shadows ON is objets casting less light on fog volumes.
    Hossin is vastly better looking & easier to navigate with Fog Shadows ON & they cost practically nothing compared to things like dyanmic Shadows. Fog Shadows has less impact than nearly any other setting besides Flora for every GPU / CPU I've used since my GTX 260. Fog shadows had less than 1% cost to framerates on many machines

I am starting to see correlation with having Geforce Experience running & I wonder if the buffering of video capture in the background is the cause of these issues because I just didn't use Geforce Experience previously.

I will continue to look into this and eliminate all changes I've made including doing fresh install of OS on diff machines to test and will get back to this thread with anything I find. I've gotten pretty good at this with Planetside2 & other games so cross yer fingers & let's hope we can sleuth this out & see if it's something that's changed with the game or something changed around the game which is in no way related to the game itself changing.

On a positive note I think Planetside2 is currently under the best stewardship & care it's ever had with this current group of people working on it so I tend to guess that it's something we all got recently or we'd be seeing posts with AMD GPUs chiming in on this thread
    • Up x 1
  16. J0hn978

https://imgur.com/KRDo5d0 Settings I got in the game, I did a complete rinse of my pc the other day l ike removing everything I didn't use or that was just taking up space. I have all overlays inactivated except Afterburner showing temps and usage for cpu and gpu. After I reverted to the previous drivers my game has worked like a charm and with the settings I have I have a solid 144fps in the warpgate and at empty bases, in battles it can average alot depending on how many targets there are.
  17. 9VoltChiken

Wow glad to hear you got some sort of fix. If you could post specifically what driver version you are using I'd appreciate that.

Rumor has it that the devs are aware of an issue pertaining to Nvidia & problems with particles. That could explain why such a low draw distance helps, but 800 meters draw distance is untenable. For things like flying liberators & ESFs a minimum of 2000 would be needed & 4000 is the default.

I really don't think particles has much to do with this because Ultra to Low makes no change in the framerates before this problem or now. It shouldn't even be technically possible for particles to cost more than a couple % framerate to a CPU & GPU combo like yours & mine as we are way over the needed specs for Planetside2. Even a machine half as powerful would be more than it needs to run all High settings at 1920x1080 and was 5 years back.
  18. Phaze

I'm getting pretty frequent lockups. Whole computer will freeze for about 5 seconds, before game resumes. Started about a week ago. I figured either Nvidia drivers or something in the last patch that 'helped' sound - both were around the same time. Haven't solved, but it is getting annoying.

I'm playing with potato settings on 3440x1440. Haven't changed anything there.
  19. J0hn978

The exact driver I have is "446.14 - 05/27/2020", and since I rolled back the drivers it hasn't frozen a single time all week.
  20. Netherlands

This problem has been fixed in the new driver
    GeForce Hotfix Driver Version 451.85