[Suggestion] Allow LA to carry the Archer

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Icehole1999, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Icehole1999

As the title says. As an AV LA it would pair perfectly with a rocklet rifle and c4.

Why it's not OP: Yes, you could get into interesting spots with it. However every thread ever says the Archer is the most horrible weapon for sniping ever released.

I just like the idea of using against Harassers while drifting above them.
  2. Jac70

LA has C4, Rocklet Rifle and a main weapon but you want to give him the ability to chip a Harrasser's paintwork as well! ;)

What a curious idea!
  3. Humoreske

disagree. MAX can not walk outdoors.
  4. Halkesh

I disagree. LA are designed to be CQC to close range infantry, giving them a long range weapons don't fit the role. Plus, they are supposed to do the job with their amazing rocklet rifle.
  5. Sazukata

I also disagree. We need to be very careful about giving LAs a long range weapon. Note how they can't carry a battle rifle, I'm thinking there's a reason for that.
    • Up x 1
  6. JibbaJabba

The Archer should not propagate into the larger playerbase. It's a very powerful weapon and it's #1 balance is that not everyone has one all the time.

LA, Infiltrator in particular should not have this weapon. HA is about the only other class that might be suitable.
  7. Icehole1999

Limit the scope to x4 for LA. Range issue solved. I wouldn't be hitting anything I couldn't hit with a Cougar.
  8. Sazukata

Scopes don't determine a weapon's ranged effectiveness, its stats do. I exclusively run x4 scope on my Archer, and I hit things that are far off without much trouble (and really, using anything above x4 is not worth it due to adding sway). Nonetheless, longer range carbines and the Archer are fundamentally different weapons.

Again, long range AV would be problematic on such a mobile class. Being restricted to short range weapons is just about the only balancing factor for the LA's flight.
    • Up x 2
  9. Insignus

No.
    • Up x 2
  10. Prudentia

The UBGL is better at close range so is the rocklet rifle and you really don't sniper fairies on top of C4 fairies. trust me on that as an LA Main, you do not want to give me a hyper accurate 2 shot long range rifle while i sit on a tower.
    • Up x 2
  11. LtBomber1

While we are on it: Exchange the rockletrife with Lancer or stirker (or both?), dual wield sidearms and make C4 explode on death for no costs...

/s
  12. Icehole1999

So, what about this? Not that it would happen but:

What about a "lite" version of the Archer? Think the difference between a SCAR H, and a carbine version. Same cartridge but shorter barrel with less effective range? Only allow optics available to carbines. Or even put a x2 on it as an integral scope and that's it.

I understand the issues with sniper rifles and jet packs. Really I do, and that's not why I'd like to see this change. I'd actually be quite happy with some sort of modified upper receiver for my Cougar that let me fire AV rounds. Limited ammo capacity, semi auto or even bolt action.

**** man I'd even settle for AV slugs for the Barrage that did little to no infantry damage.
  13. Prudentia

so... the rocklet rifle?
  14. Moz

**** NO!
  15. Icehole1999

The rocklet rifle is fine I guess for mag dumps on huge vehicles, but it's not accurate at all. Moving vehicles are hard to hit with more than a couple rockets.
  16. Prudentia

right click it,then it's accurate and the AV "SCAR H" you want. leftclick and you got a CQC burst rifle. even your suggestions to add an UBAPL to carbines or AV slugs to shorguns is literally all the rocklet rifle,just without having to give up your primary.
  17. Kaizure

No. And here's why:

The Archer is fully capable of sniping someone with a one-headshot-kill, and anyone who is unable to get that is simply not hitting their target in the head. The issue isn't that it's a weak weapon, but that it has a major bullet drop... and given that it can do considerable damage to armored targets, the bullet drop is completely justified. However, if you use the Archer a lot, you'll get used to the drop and become a major threat on the field.

Light Assaults are very much a close quarters class. While yes they use carbines and can be effective at medium ranges, their rocklet launcher and C4 makes them great at dealing with enemy armor... but if it gets away, that's just the way it is. If you can't eliminate the target fast enough, either because you weren't able to get your rocklets fired fast enough or the target started moving away faster than you could put down your C4, then you're simply out of luck and need to choose another target.

By granting access to the Archer, it ensures that any player who rolls around in armor will simply be unable to escape if a Light Assault targets them. If the C4 hits but the Rocklets are out of range, then you can simply kill them with the Archer as they try to flee. Or, if you feel like hanging onto your resources, you can simply use your jet pack to get on top of a mountain or otherwise out of range of tanks so you can shoot them, but they can't shoot back, which enables you to get easy kills and makes them completely defenseless.

Light Assaults are already a major threat to armor because, despite the update that was made where two bricks of C4 won't kill a Main Battle Tank, the Rocklet completely nullifies the point of that update because you can just finish off the target with that anyway. If Light Assaults were given access to a weapon that gave them range and the ability to destroy armor from nearly any height or place, it would be completely unfair to those players using armor.

Engineers can get to some good vantage points with an Archer, but not in the same way as a Light Assault... and if their position is compromised, Engineers can't simply fly away and find a new one - they either need to wait for the threat to go away or run to a new spot... or redeploy entirely.

Point is: giving Light Assaults access to the Archer is a bad, bad, BAD idea.
    • Up x 2
  18. Drsexxytime

Absolutely not. They're too effective against infantry, maxes, and vehicles as is. Why give them yet another tool when they have more than enough? They're too mobile as is, Skill-4'n all the things, Carbines/shotguns. They do enough damage from rooftops and trees as is.
  19. GoTDirt fromMAG

20. TR5L4Y3R

The reason the LA shall not get the archer is the same reason he does not have a battlerifle ... the LA is meant to directly engage its opponents not to snipe them from range