[BUG] Why is it the Low ping is punished and high ping gets free Kills ???

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DeathbyGotcha, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Saturax

Ping limit for game ! :D
    people can dc for 30s shoot other people reconect and get kills just wtf ? ( other games have max dc 2s )
    400ms + warpers/laggers in FPS ? + game give advantage laggers on top of it ? :p
  2. Imperialguardsman

Hey look, Connery yell chat leaked into the forums. "I'm a videogame tryhard and in my opinion your stats are garbage so let's try to piss on you for talking about the consequences of allowing many Aussie, Asian, and UK laggers onto the server." This is how everyone translates what you said honey.
  3. KoRneY

his stats ARE garbage. there's no disputing that, sweetheart.
  4. Draylynn

Because stats aren't effected at all by lag in any way, shape or form?
    Shouldn't have to switch to another server to raise ping in order to play competitively with other players by exploiting a fundamental flaw in the games design. Period. That is not good sportsmanship, fun, or fair to those with good connections.
    200~250 ms should be the flat out limit for playing any twitch based game (for most, it is) and on PS2, it's not.
  5. Corezer

There's always going to be more ping than that tho, cause of clientside works.

if this game were all serverside, you would have to shoot at some random air in front of you, and when they're dead on the server their actions don't count anymore.

since it's client side, you have to wait let's say 85ms (if you have a good connection and are close to your server) for the server to pick it up, then 100ms for the wind to blow hard enough to move the dead server hamster, then another 85ms for that info to get to them and let them know they're dead, and during this time they are fully able to kill you.

Moving the game server-side isn't better. That's a lot for the servers to handle, so expect latency to pop up to at least a quarter second on it's own, which means rather than shooting people you will have to shoot at ambiguous spots of air ~1/4 second in front of the target.

The solution is lag comp, which actually does a pretty good job right now, but there are some outliers who are not only on the other side of the globe, but are playing using their phone's 4g hotspot and have 400+ ping. Or worse, satellite internet users in the rain....
  6. Hysterianus

when I play while downloading stuff, and my ping goes from normal 20ms to 400ms, its like im playing with invisible Mode. i run frontal toward to them, and they don't see me until I kill them. that's the same **** I experience when I play with normal ping against Russian. I don't get even shot anymore. I'm either alive or instant dead.

#maxping200 @planetside2 would remove 90% cheater aka 100% russian
    • Up x 3
  7. TheFlamingLemon

If high ping is such an advantage, go play on US East or Europe and see how you enjoy being the high ping player.
  8. Hysterianus

read your self again..you make no sense
  9. CrazyFrog

ive noticed this,since I came back like a month or so ago, and finding out they closed the Korean/Chinese servers and they flooded onto the US and EU servers,its been laggy,really laggy,and I think the Koreans/Chinese know this and purposely dropping packets to exploit this problem, I have 100mb fibre optics and am getting constantly headshot and what appears people firing there entire clip all at once at me all the time,i have issues with grenades not doing damage as well dispite me clearly watching them blow up at peoples feet,people with bad net connections as well does it, its really annoying that people with higher pings are doing better than people with lower pings,i think something needs to be done.

perhaps a ping cap of like 180 or there abouts to force people to play on the servers closest to them etc
  10. Problem Officer

Seems more complicated than that, because often I get kills from what my client shows as misses.
    Shooting the air behind someone running, bam they're dead. Even looks like I shot a surface behind them.
    Then there's vehicle ramming. Completely receiver-side? Can't collide with many players, they just phase through.
  11. Alkasirn

I actually did this about a year back and I gotta say, it was... an experience.

I chose some EU server I was getting 160ms to rather than the 48-56ms I get from Emerald and Connery respectively and in about an hour I had the following noteworthy situations; noteworthy because they NEVER happened to me on a US server:

I grabbed a HA and fresh out of the spawn tubes, without a single cert to my name, I repeatedly beat different maxed out HA's, sometimes with directive LMGs, at a distance by just holding down the trigger on the SAW and not adjusting for bloom.

I ran around a contested biolab feeling like a god because nobody could manage to drop me to 50% of my total health. I effortlessly bullied anyone with a shotgun from point blank range - a strange feeling because I was used to going on Emerald and having non-slug shotguns instagib me from 20 meters away because the other player could somehow miraculously dump their entire magazine into me in under 0.1 seconds. But with high ping, shotgun rechamber time felt appropriate (and the damage felt abnormally low.)

There was a specific situation where I snuck up behind another player, aimed at the back of their head, fired a shot and then sneezed in real life. The sneeze threw off my aim real bad and I ended up missing about the next 5 shots even though the first hit. But I was able to get back on target and kill the player before they were able to turn around and fight back. It was about 2 seconds since they should have been informed they were getting shot at but all they did was... stop sprinting up some stairs and turn right slightly to aim out a window (rather than react to being shot from behind.)

It didn't take long before I felt immense guilt and swore I wouldn't play on a distant server again, 'cause I know very well the kinds of things those players saw (or didn't see, especially in the case of the last guy) and how that stuff can ruin someone's fun extremely quickly.

In fact, the only time anyone seemed to be a threat on that server was when a bunch of enemy tanks gathered around to farm the sundy I was spawning at. I believe over half of my deaths were from that incident alone, but I would've been just as easy of a target even if I had 8ms ping.
  12. Riksos

So we have a generation of people complaining about lag, punching moniters because of it, throwing keyboards and breaking mouses.

And now the new entitled children of the future are saying lag is actually PREFERABLE.

You guys don't understand how ping works.

If you have 100 ping, that means it takes 50ms for the signal to travel from you to the server, and 50 ms to travel from the server back again.

That means if a person with 1000 ping walks into a room at the same time you do with 100 ping, there is literally no physically possible way that he sees and can shoot you before you see him. It takes literally FIVE TIMES the amount of time for him to "tell" the server hes walking into the room. Keep in mind, this also means it takes him 500MS to SEE THAT YOU WALKED INTO THE ROOM.

You walk into a room at 100 ping, it takes 50 milliseconds to tell the server you are walking in.
    At the same time a man with 1000 ping walks into a room, it takes 500 milliseconds to tell the server he is walking in.
    It takes you 50 milliseconds for the server to tell you there's a person on the other side of the room
    It takes him 500 milliseconds for the server to tell him you walked into the room

HE should see people jumping around, not you. Every signal he is sending and receiving from the server is delayed. Yours are almost instantaneous by comparison. You are getting a more "likely location" of where he is than where you are. The server is giving Mr. China a half second delay on every action he attempts to tell the server he wants to take.

And to Alkasim above me: total ********. He's saying he's a god except when he has high ping. What the **** has happened to the world. When I was younger it was always "****** LAG WTF LAG KILLED ME", now it's "wow I need more lag because that's how good players win. I'M ACTUALLY THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD BUT I DON'T HAVE AS MUCH LAG AS THAT GUY AND THAT'S THE ONLY REASON HE KILLED ME BECAUSE I AM ACTUALLY A GOD OF VIDEO GAMES AND THE RIGGED SYSTEM IS KEEPING ME DOWN ****** NEED MORE LAG DUDE"

I can't believe this is a real thread.
  13. Draylynn

2 players come round a corner, both have LOS, same guns (5~6 shots should easily kill both players from either gun and a clip that takes 3000ms to empty and has 40 bullets), both aimed up perfectly and fire - To both players, all bullets hit according to client detection.

Under that presumption Riksos, as you describe it, hands down, the high ping should be dead, they got their bullets off last technically, right? Your also missing the lag comp step after the fight that decides the winner and 'levels' the playing field for those with latency issues.
    This situation is fairly common in PS2; Low pings dead and the high ping is shield scratched or >50% hp and they both managed to empty their clips which in itself shouldn't be possible for the dead player, they're already dead 6 bullets in, give or take for server response (85ms on avg, not 3000ms).

If it truly worked as you describe people wouldn't take a bullet when they're clearly behind cover, the server would have the information your behind cover before the lagging player managed to get to fire off because of the delay they have, and in face to face situations as described above, the low ping would win.
    What makes this possible is lag comp, introduced to 'level' the playing field. I'm all for a 'level' playing field, but this isn't levelling the field at all, this is giving a clear advantage to those who connect to long distance servers rather than the ones closest to them, intentionally throttling their connections to simulate delay or just have poor connections not suited for twitch based game-play.

If that isn't a bug with client detection, or a wayyy too relaxed lag comp, then I don't know what is, and that is why there is a thread.

For giggles; go find someone from another country with higher ping (+>100) to your server to sign up to the other side to test this out on - plenty of bases outside peak times where you and the enemy can setup a sundy and test uninterrupted.
    • Up x 1
  14. CNR4806

Yeah, do that and watch the pops plummet to unplayable levels.

Do you even see how bad Briggs is doing? How Connery barely gets more than half of other servers' peak pops? Sure, force some people away and I'm sure all the people who have already left for other games will come back to repopulate the ghost town you leave behind.
  15. Haquim

Yeah wouldn't that be nice.

The problem is - thats not how it works.
    You walk into the room with your 100 ms and tell the server that you just did.
    He tells the server his location 250ms later than he actually reached it. At the same time he reads your information.
    Unfortunately that means that he sees you before he even enters the room on your screen - since he gets the information where you are (or were, 250ms ago), but your information where he is is still far behind and he is outside the door.
    And now hes shooting you, his client tells the server he killed you and you are dead - before ever seeing him. Because unlike your position his client decides wether you are dead, not the server, or the information that is at your disposal.

Sorry to tell you, but you are plain wrong. That is how it would work on a CS 1.6 server and propably most others, but not in Planetside2.
    • Up x 1
  16. Cymric

I know this is going to be futile but I am going to try a last time. If you really think high ping gives you an advantage, find a server with the highest ping you can find and level a character there, see how much your k/d, spm, kpm (or which ever metric you care to use) differs there. I will bet with you that the difference will not be significant.

I have BR 90+ on Briggs, Emerald and Miller, with wildly different pings when playing on each of them and I do not notice much difference in my performance between those servers. I actually perform worst on Miller where I have the worst ping, but I blame it on miller's preference for cheese spamming than anything else.

If you are a ****ter, no amount of good/bad ping will make you good. If you are good, you are going to dominate no matter what your ping is.
  17. ridicOne

18. Hysterianus

lags getting worse ever day.. how much longer are those russian clogging the eu servers ? since last patch a new stutter lag is back. every 2-3 seconds its like skipping some frames, like a stutter jump forward.. is this the new performance ? make everyone lag so the lag switcher and highpinger wont stay out anymore ?

Well thank you.. at least someone gets it... but ps2 goes down the ****ter anyway.. most ppl only play to piss other player off. and dbg does nothing.. some fake "cheater xyz has been banned" messages every couple weeks and thats it.. last week on miller.. 40.000+ open tickets.. but sure.. every single one will be fully closed.[/quote]

why do you think the left ? cause ps2 became a pain in the ***.. there is no more tactic or strategy.. all there is shooting into a mist and hope to have the luck to actually hit something.. and cheater outfits like MDK who use lag switching per default are having a blast..
  19. DeathbyGotcha

It is almost comical how These Asian players make tons of excuses on how they are so awesome when they are hacking. Over Half the players are at least scripting why do you think their server closed. It must be everyone wanted to play with these hackers because they are "Pro" . Hackers are gluttons they take everything they can and demand for more and feel offended if you catch them!
  20. DeathbyGotcha

and this is why team killing on NC is so high ;P