BLM claims racism in planetside 2

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DooDooBreff, Jan 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colonelveers12

Fair enough I suppose.
    • Up x 1
  2. JobiWan

Well obviously, I know that. But in the context, IE that other card suits are also used, it's clearly not being used in a racist manner, anyone who takes offence at this is frankly an idiot, whatever colour or race he is.
  3. Taemien

What does BLM have to do with PS2?
    • Up x 1
  4. HAXTIME

Tell your friend to grow up and leave his/her safe space.
    • Up x 3
  5. Dualice

They're both initialisms containing three characters?
    • Up x 1
  6. Mezinov

An interesting cultural note;

Calling "Racism" on Out-of-Context applications of words with historical racist applications usually leads to their use in a racially insensitive context - particularly by those who would use derogatory racial terms to begin with, but did not know such a benign word was one.

In short - it hurts your cause (assuming your cause is to reduce the frequency of racist remarks, and not to garner attention) by resurrecting and putting back into circulation a term that was no longer considered racist.

Case-in-point; most people who have not studied race relations did not know 'Spade' was used as a derogatory term in the past. However, by making this post and ultimately calling it out as such - people now know that 'Spade' can be used in a derogatory racial sense.

It is now entirely possible we will see people in Yell Chat, in game, using the non-censored 'Spade' in place of other terms they would have normally used or had to use a mixture of letters, numbers and spacing to get spelled out. It is also now possible we will see squads intentionally referencing 'Spade Squad' in a derogatory racial context as well.

Whereas, without this callout, we most likely would have seen limited to no reference to the term in its racial context and most players would have just gone with their initial assumption it was referring to playing cards. Additionally, in the limited references in its racial context the context would have likely been misunderstood by the majority of the playerbase.

Personally? Any "Spade Squad" that isn't lead by, or contain a member named, "Ace" - should be disbanded immediately.
    • Up x 4
  7. DooDooBreff

so by this logic we should nix any and all media because people might get ideas (on any topic not just racism)?

also you can not stop innuendo, as it evolves with the times
  8. Pelojian

In the end does it really matter? if a racist starts typing or chatting racism they'll use racist words ether way, do the words they use really matter? or does it only matter that they are a racist and are being vocal?

racism needs to die, racists need to realize that race is an illusion and the differences between people aren't much at all. in the end we are the same with minor physical differences.
  9. Mongychops

Spade squad are now the all-important "operation human shield"

• Up x 3
  10. Mezinov

No; the point was that sometimes you should "just let thing lay". Many words we use commonly today were taboo in some sense in earlier use, and conversely, many words that are taboo today had entirely benign meanings in earlier use.

Basically it was reiterating what other people had already said; context matters.

It only really matters if your goal is to see less words used in a racially insensitive manner.

If you are asking for my personal opinion? No. However, I come from a rather unpopular political base whose basic principal is that it doesn't matter what an individual does if it only affects the individual. In the case of speech; we all possess the capability to not listen, as such, what an individual says does not affect any other individual.
  11. Bindlestiff

If that is indeed what it is, then some people could choose to consider their special interest group as a bunch of racists. Why? Because everyones lives matter, not just those of the black population.

So why is it then that those same people choose not to consider the above? Because they sensible, rational human beings who don't sensationalise absolutely every part of every thing in everyday life. They realise that there is a context to everything, and the that politically correct crowd aren't automatically right by default.

You could equally say that Planetside 2 is sizeist - where are the skinny, fat or grossly obese avatars? - or a host of other 'ist' terms that people choose to be offended by when it suits. But again, people don't because to do so would make them look pretty dumb.
    • Up x 5
  12. Scr1nRusher

This can't be real.

Have these people never played cards?

Or seen a shovel?

The only way I could see these guys taking offense to this is if they are SO STUPID they think Spade means "Spade & neutered".

Which.....is baffling.
    • Up x 3
  13. Iridar51

Agreed. I'm often baffled by how people seeing racism everywhere don't realize they themselves are racist because of that.
    Racist is the one who percieves the world through race. Bias towards a race is just as racist as bias against it.

Skin color shouldn't matter, one way or another.
    • Up x 8
  14. SpartanPsycho

Best thing to do is what I did.

I bashed them apart intellectually and told them to move along.

Stupid leftists as stupid leftists do.
    • Up x 2
  15. AxiomInsanity87

*SARCASM*

I'm white

Milk offends me

Teeth also offend me but being british, i've taken care of that in true self hatred fashion and eaten a bag of sugar a day.

I'm also getting my eyeballs tattooed black because i simply just hate myself and my white privilege.

Never mind my friend who is black that has a doctors in economics...it's all just white privilege and nothing to do with actually making something of oneself.

Male oppressive patriarchy. Yeah my missus is head admin at a university and earns more than me but nevermind that, it has nothing to do with making something of oneself, it's just privilege and i should just be entitled to more than her.

Now excuse me while i flog myself for being so privileged .
    • Up x 6
  16. Taemien

I don't think you realize how right you are with that statement.

The ones who go crazy about racism are the most racist bastards around to put it simply. And those people have always identified with groups and parties that have been historically racist, is something I don't believe to be a coincidence. But I'll leave it at that so this thread doesn't blow the eff up. People can do their own research.
    • Up x 1
  17. 1Tap2Tap

One of the rare moments of truth in this forum.

Thumbs up, mate.
  18. Sulsa

My weekend is complete and it hasn't even started yet.

L O f****** L
    • Up x 2
  19. AxiomInsanity87

There is nothing i hate more than those who talk about freedom and in the same breath say that communism is a good thing.

And seriously, multiculturalism doesn't work anymore in a disestablishmentarian democracy like the UK. Something has gone seriously wrong. I have friends who came here as migrants during the late 70's - 80's (well they are my rents friends, i am 28) and even they say that migrants coming here now are not interested in integrating, only exploiting and getting their lefty communist handouts (benefits).

For the ones that do want to work though, it is great for the economy somewhat (cheap labor). The thing is that many come to get paid and then go home.

I'm not right wing or left wing either but i am not for the EU. We traded and were allies with European countries before the EU. WE do not need Angela nutcase dictating to us and her christian rhetoric.

Anyway this is not something to be discussing on the forums, nor can i be bothered to put the effort into it, nor have I.
  20. AxiomInsanity87

There are racist shtbags everywhere mate.

In every country

In every facet of human existence

I think saying someone is racist is a bit too kind. Dumb as F is much more fitting.
    • Up x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.