Implant energy is no longer sustainable

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by tijolo, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Demigan

Eh?
    Implants provide temporary bonuses, and most of the time these bonuses aren't really tremendous. There's some useful one's but they aren't game breaking or really required. I run max level stealth implant or level 2 healing most of the time, and when it runs out I only reactivate it the moment I start needing them (which happens pretty quickly). And I gain chargers, my chargers are now up about 30 or 40 of what it used to be before the update, and I've never, ever, crafted a charger or needed too.

If anything, charger gain should be reduced even further. It's a small way to gain more money and it's not required to play, in fact I have played without them for extended periods of time already and never had any big negative effects from it. So making people actually work for them and craft some chargers should not be a terrible thing.
  2. Agarthan

Spending certs for disposable items seems ridiculous, they should just make them charge with nanites.
    • Up x 1
  3. FeralBoy

This is pretty much what I have done since I started playing again last October. I have used more than 3 chargers though.

In slightly less than a year I have stockpiled 640+ basic chargers. I have bought 1, and crafted 2 Ultra Chargers.

Last month I finally RE'd all my stockpiled Tier 1's down and now pretty much have 1 of every Tier 4 implant.
    The only times I have used a Tier 4 implant is Hold Breath 4, when I know I have a solid opportunity at some extended sniping. I otherwise don't really feel I have lost out much by not using HB4, or any HB tier for that matter.

I do have plans to further tweak an advanced recon cloaker build using Sensor Shield 4, and possibly a LA build once I double down on LA after I'm done with Engies and Cloakers.

There is no doubt though that Tier 4 implants really suck the charger juice fast lol... I understand your concerns OP.

I'm not going to debate the benefits or needs to run any Tier of implant. I honestly feel there use now is so situational that I will always have enough charger go-juice to cover the few times I really feel I might need an implant.
    Maybe I have suffered greatly from not putting more attention towards using implants in specific scenarios but I'll never know and I have learned to or become accustomed to not using them in general.

As other posters have alluded to, I feel something along the lines of PS1 always on/no energy required implant system would be more interesting to me.
  4. LtBomber1

I personaly dont use implants at all. So i have like 600 small and 20 big chargers rusting away. If i feel that i need a implant i will throw in a charger, and dont let it fill automaticly.

Tips for saving energy:
    -Engery drains only when...
    ...alive, so redeploy often.
    ...an implant is euipped, so unequip if not needed anymore
    -Fill them in by hand, and only when in need. On many fights you dont need them at all.
    -Only craft T2+T3 charger, its more effective
    -Play in a group, teamwork beats any implant
    • Up x 2
  5. FateJH

On one hand, it probably does feel ridiculous to an early player, who is still building up an arsenal and suit; on the other hand, a seasoned veteran probably has so many excess certs and not enough to spend them on anymore. On top of that, the only thing that stops you from earning certs is hitting the temporary cap, whereupon you have to spend some to earn more.

So, no, I argue that the concept is actually reasonable; but, it causes conflicts of interests and economy depending on how green one's character is while his player still covets implant use. I actually think that's a good thing. One potential issue that I believe currently exists are players who, having been using the Implant system from the start, are sitting on a veritable pile of Chargers they may never realistically burn though (bar bugs) and so, regardless of how useful Implants actually are, it feels as if those players have an advantage over people who have to still make a devil's choice.
  6. Ronin Oni

I just hate the implant system entirely.

It's basically PS2's "gold ammo"

So I just use T1 and the rest of the system can foooook (2 o's was censored lol) off
  7. Isokon

If you reach the point where you have nothing else to buy with your certs, you can use them to buy implants/chargers.
    • Up x 1
  8. Goretzu

Yeah that's the sensible idea to be honest, but equally it would be nice to have an implant system that is viable for all in some way.
  9. DeadlyPeanutt

i turned off the implants today and didn't miss them. If I get into a heated battle, I may equip the regen implant...
    honestly, i don't think implants make that much difference. regen is my favorite, but most of the time in base caps, it doesn't mean much.
  10. CuteBeaver

As others have stated most rank 1 implants should be sustainable (even without membership) and rank 2 should be EASILY sustainable with membership. Enhanced targeting (rank 1) is a viable option for vehicle play, and also infantry roles like stalking, or sniping. My favorite implant hands down is regeneration R1 for stalkers since it enables you to ditch the medkits and run mines. I doubt other classes would benefit as heavily from R1 regeneration but stalkers can sneak away and heal back up. It just seems like a good fit.

However if your SPM is less then 100, and you cannot even sustain Rank 1 implants it might be a good idea to figure out ways to be more effective at what your doing. If your maining infantry but your not getting kills fast enough can you bring a repair/ammo sundie and park it next to the main sundie spawn? Could you bring a sundie to the base for people to spawn on and get extra exp as your doing your thing inside the base? What about a flash with Scout Radar on it while your chilling on the capture point with your engineer / medic ect. The other option is of course more kills or finding ways to kill more vehicles which net higher exp. As someone who primarily plays stalker (and doesn't really pop vehicles unless i have a turret hacked or chilling by some tank mines) I'm just throwing out some pretty easy options you can use to boost SPM without majorly changing what your already doing.
    • Up x 2
  11. Ronin Oni

I figure T3 is for people who want to dump certs on chargers cause they have nothing left to really cert

T4 is for high critical opportunity times for those players, or people who just want to throw money at DGC for peanuts.

W/E... I preferred it when the only thing you had to pay money for was Cosmetics. I've dumped $150-200 (couldn't tell you to be honest) on this game on cosmetics and buying weapons (because I play ALL classes, vehicles, and factions and don't play NEARLY enough to have equipped everything otherwise... particularly with multiple loadouts :p )

If I played more, I'd prolly sub for XP bonuses (and super Nanite spam is tempting even) but I only play a few hours a month now at most. Just every other week or so get an itch and jump in for a while.
  12. Taemien

And if we're drowning in them?

Maybe turn some in for Kronos so we can at least get plat in one of the EQ games. I dunno.
  13. Isokon

My point was, why should they free you from the need to get chargers that you can buy with certs which you are drowning in anyway? You'd take away the only other use for certs after you have certed everything.
  14. Taemien

Like I said, let us buy Kronos with them.
  15. Who Garou

Its a pay-to-win mechanic that I refused to use from the get-go. I have never slotted an implant. The first thing I do when I fill in a new load out is to remove the implant that is in there by default.

You don't need to use them in order to pay the game. It's a "pay DGC for a legit cheat" system.

I can deal with the Implant system far easier than the bounty system. If people want to pay to make it easier to kill me that's one thing, if they want to pay to get more xp of killing me (or having some else kill me) because I was able to kill them ... that's another thing entirely.
  16. Pelojian

given the fact you can trade kronos on the broker in EQ2 and probably other DBG titles, why not a krono broker for PS2? buy/trade from other players with certs (would suggest a zone specifically for trading and accessing the broker)

doesn't have to be much of a zone just a couple of prefab structures or an almost direct copy of an existing base.

as for implants sustaining T1 as FTP should be possible and subscribers should be able to reliably sustain T2 implants.

Ether way players really should just let the chargers pile up, craft the implants they want then use all drops after that to make ultra chargers. when your supply runs low swap to the T1 or T2 implants till your chargers pile up again.
  17. zaspacer

"It's not a real problem for the game, or even a potential problem, because it doesn't affect me right now."

[IMG]

[IMG]

Well, it's nice to hear that *you* have had a status change in your <me problem>/<not a me problem> regarding Implants. I think you'll find that almost everyone else either (1) has had this problem for a while (since before you cared/noticed), or (2) does not have this problem.

Having played this game for a long time, let me give you some advice on how this will go:
    1) ~85% DBG will not do anything about it
    2) ~5% DBG makes it "better"
    3) ~5% DBG makes it "worse"
    4) ~5% DBG changes it, but not in a way that makes it better or worse overall

My suggestion is to figure out a "workaround" that works for you. I am sure people would be happy to share their own figured out workarounds.

My workaround?: I stopped using Implants a LONG time ago. Embrace "Hard Mode".

I'm even a premium member... though I'm less and less sure why I continue to be.

Would the community like DBG to hire/promote/staff Designers/Managers who actually play PS2?
  18. tijolo

Dude, pay more attention to what you're reading. Also to what you're saying, holy ****.
  19. zaspacer

What are you talking about? Both your quote and your post don't convey any specific reference. I can't understand it or benefit from it or reply to it unless I know what you are talking about.

Please explain.
  20. OldMaster80

Personally I refuse to use implants: they were implemented completely ignoring community feedback. They should consume energy only when activated or when triggered.
    Continuous energy consumption even when testing in the vr is tedious and it was an asinine implementation clearly designed to force players to buy energy and more implants on the shop.

Besides that imho the only implant providing a significant advantage is Sensor Shield on Stalker Infiltrators.