Those who are still playing, please never quit

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by dngray, Aug 24, 2015.

1. dngray

DBG's recent post which stated that the direction PlanetSide 2 will be headed in is to allow players to generate new content. I take that as a desperation move but a clever one at that. My concern is that the game is slowly dying and the small population that would be generating new game content wouldn't have a strong enough backing to carry the game into the future. So I am asking those people that still play (and especially those that play on Emerald to please never stop playing this game. I recently took about 3 weeks off from playing this to play CS:GO and SC2 and I realized today that it would be a sad day if I didn't get to play PlanetSide 2 because it had died. I think Emerald has just enough players right now to give PlanetSide 2 that unique experience no other game can deliver. Emerald has always been a great server but I ask if anyone is considering playing there, please we do not need any more VS players.
  2. Citizen H

It's clear the game is circling the drain at this point. Anyone who puts more money into it is just falling for a sunk cost fallacy.
    The game had a good run, showed a lot of promise. They had a sequel title to a sci-fi shooter with a built-in playerbase and they, for lack of a better word, p---ed it all away. The lack of content added since November 2012 is appalling. They managed, what? Two vehicles and a continent. Some helmets they didn't even make and a few camo skins. The game has less content and features than the first one and was a step backward in many ways. The developers failed to maintain objective balance and let a few community figures and outfits ruin the meta to the point one faction dominates. So much money thrown away on initiatives like MLG, battle islands, commissioning art and models for things like the Colossus tank and flying aircraft carriers. Sitting on unfinished items the community was screaming for like MAX flamethrowers. The repeated pattern of introducing items and then nerfing them down to garbage after people paid real world money for them.

I don't blame the people who leave. They don't owe the game or the developers one damn thing. Quite the contrary; it's the game that always failed the players.
    • Up x 10
  3. Zombo

the game is plummeting player numbers, becaus of lack of new content and constant dumbing down of existing things (they never should've nerfed anything, besides ZOE, unequal balance would have been great, but NOOO, lets listen to all those nerf-everything-crybabys)

this and the inability of SOE to listen to the PS1 veterans in terms of gameplay
    ANTs and Base energy were clearly better than the boring capture point mechanic, dome shields never made it into the game other than biolabs, where the domeshield can't be turned off (fail) etc.

The liberator was made to an orbita strike cannon rather than being a real bomber doing bombing runs,
    Some thing were nerfed so far into the ground that no one uses them anymore (Striker, ZOE)

Even now people are discussing about nerfing 0.75 ADS lmgs, though stats show no overperformance whatsoever besides the Betelgeuse

Most PS1 players left, the Zerging keeps going, though it is boring for both sides, and new content is almost always Factio unspecific
    • Up x 6
  4. Forger

all very true unfortunately....
  5. MarkAntony

well I'll be playing till they shut the servers down or I can't find any decent fights. I love this game. It's fun.
    • Up x 4
  6. Eternaloptimist

I love it too. Apart from Hossin I have never yet found a lack of large fights in two years of playing. Of course, there were the eserver merges...........but even so, I can't see the game dying in front of my eyes, which is what reading forum posts would have you believe. It is a lot more playable under DBG than it was under SOE and I guess it takes time to update it before you can go out and hit the advertising.
  7. Zombo

yeah, PS2 is the only MMOFPS is know of with good gunplay and fun mechanics

PS4 was a big waste of development time, i guess that is not a secret, i still secretly hope for NTUs and ANTs and LLUs to come back, but i don't count on it
    • Up x 3
  8. ZDarkShadowsZ

I'm going to be playing until the game shuts down permanently.

I intend to make sure I make good use of all those weapons I bought with SC before it got renamed.
  9. customer548

This game is great, but nothing has really changed since monthes...or since years.
    I'm definitly not the kind of player who enjoy to complain. But I'm getting a bit bored. As stated previously, it's all about zergs, and promises. But it's a free game, I know.
    I remember having read so many roadmaps, having waited so many monthes...just for nothing.

The Ant, when will it come ? In 1 month, in 2 monthes, in December or later ? We don't have any information about it (or perhaps I just missed it). Will it bring a real change to the game, or will it just be another feature ruined by dumb zergs ?
    Again, I hate complaining. But I don't really understand why things take so much time in this company. How many Devs are avalaible ? (I really don't blame anyone, but things seem to take so much time to be done. PS2 has an underdeveloped potential of success).
    • Up x 3
  10. 0fly0

The game was dead when they start focusing on making a console version...
    Now the air gameplay is terrible because of that, not to mention the console bug related like magrider acting like a spining tea cup.
    Also the EU server are terrible, another crash for cobalt this weekend seriously!
    I keep playing this game but let's be honest it's just because it's the only massive modern fps we have and i hate second world war game.
    • Up x 2
  11. Kronnion

All this "the game is dead" yak.. I killed more new players in the last 2 weeks than in the last year. I know it could be alts..but not all of them. It's always an on and off with player numbers. I'll also play this game until the servers will be shut down, but sometimes I get enough, take a break and do something else, but I always find my way back to PS and I bet this is the case for everyone. Just because like you said, it's the only game we have this way..maybe except for Bf BC 2, Bf3-4, but those (well BF BC 2 could) never could hold my attention after I found PS. And why? Because Ps isn't just unique it's the hell of fun!
    And what about the EU Server stuff? I play almost everyday on Cobalt and I had no crash since..I don't even know.... no crash, no stutter...runs like a river..
  12. Gromwort

There are some new players for sure (including myself since i play for *just 3-4 months*), you can tell since they play differently.I also doesn't see much problem with EU servers, Cobolt lag a bit during prime time alerts but it never goes super bad,and server crashed on sunday or smth.

I wish there is some more content added from time to time, i can imagine it can get pretty boring after a while.Peoples who i talked to ingame and play way longer then i do says the same thing - more stuff or changes from time to time would be nice.
  13. Stainlesssteel

Funny when i posted that this game isnt PS1 like enough in the beta forum back in the days ..i got alot of rant like other PS1 Veterans...now where here in 2015 and people complain about not enough PS1 content in the Game!
    I have played enough shooter in my life and RPG´s to know ...what is good and what bad!
    And over the years i only see the Graphics evolve and the content is going into reverse direction ...
    Like others i was hoping all the time that PS2 would step up from this and shine on first place over the shooter scene like WoW did over the RPG, but it fulfills just the base needs .

Well the DBG is still quite new but there is movement coming up...ok ..there are the first mistakes too with the NS weapons..when we take ALL threats and posts ever existed ..i wonder how many "We the players want more NS" compared to "We the players want more ES" have been out there...
    Yes the tank weapons coming up but it is only a tiny thing and no real step forward ..i will buy them to for real money to help a bit, but even if i dont i have 5000 certs unused ..how long will this weapons be interesting?
    Then they came up with the ANT idea..which is a good step forward but i would prefer ES lightnings and ES liberators more !
    AND of course ES buggys !!

This ANT thing is again NS... I guess...because they constantly want to evade the balance situation!
    Then there are still some game flaws EVER existing !
    Why gets a Skyguard rendered miles and miles away ..but the engeneer with his AV turret ..shooting my *** on the next hill is not ?
    Why Harassers still get flipped and bounced around like a rubber ball ..when their only advantage ..the speed is denied by it
    Why are medipacs still bugged
    Why is the personal shield not recharging sometimes
    Why when you change sniper loadouts with different optics sometimes your ADS shakes around like crazy (no i dont mean the breathe movement of the crosshair )
    Why is the lightning´s ofroad performance still that of an thrown surf-board

I think DBG has to clean SOE mess up first ..to create solid foundation to work with ..and than we will see if PS becomes the Prince of shooter or stays the frog!
    • Up x 1
  14. Armcross

I like the thrown surf-board, I know, I play "heavy lightning"(Prowler).
  15. 0fly0

Sadly because you have a lot of new players don't make the game work, you can have 2000 br 10 if you want, if people log into the game, get rekt, game crash, they move to another game and don't spend money. You need to make people stay before making people pay and not all fps players are interested like us in massive fight.
    For the EU server, yes there is some problem with the server even if it's not all the time, you can check a few thread down, another thread about cobalt crashing this weekend for i thing 30 min, pretty much every weekend at some point you can't log in, a lot of player have sync problem , too bad we can't all be like you but i'm ok to admet that my game run better than before when we have a normal population but all the crash and sync problem "some" people have in prime time make me think the server can't handle really big population.
  16. Taleroth

The game needs new content. And I don't mean procedural or player built content. That's not a horse I would want to bet on.
    • Up x 2
  17. TheDarSin

• Up x 1
  18. Dgross

Only way I'll quit (TR) is if they nerf one more GD thing.
    TR is at such a low point right now. I play out of loyalty and they're the coolest looking faction, but one more thing, and I change factions.

And not to Vanu. They're overpopped.
  19. JohnGalt36

For as much ******** as I do on this forum, I'll probably keep playing until they shut servers down, and I'm always trying to get more of my friends to play.
  20. Rockit

As low as population may be on the PC side, it's the PS4 side that is more concerning. From being here during beta to now it was apparent the console was the "hail mary" for this game. It was easy to see where the direction of this game was intended all along and now the PS4 version is not doing so good as they would have hoped. Also, don't forget both are F2P so it's not necessarily the number that are playing rather the number paying and how much they are paying. It's probably south of 1 out of 10 who ever spend a dime on this game so if you look at the pop numbers and take 10% (generously), you are looking at a small amount of revenue. They should just shut it down, cut their losses and invest in another title. This is just a money pit for DBG at this point.