Why is there no hard counter to Air atm?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jingstealer, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Jingstealer

Playing TR. Sick and tired of libs.
    * Skyguard? ******* useless!
    * Strikers or Grounders? You got to be joking!
    * AA maxes? Tickling at it's best.
    * AA mossie? It's like trying to piss away a glacier

Seriously: this is pissing me off. WHY do we have NO hard counters to air anymore? All AA weapons need a hefty buff:
    * Grounder: make this worthwhile. +20% damage and give a realistic trajectory! Right now the rocket can come out of the launcher at a 90 degree angle ffs!
    * Skyguard: up projectile speed 50% so long range engagement is possible and escape less likely. Increase flak radius 20% and damage some.
    * AA maxes - same thing. Higher projectile speed needed. Any why on earth do maxes still run around without any optics?! PS1 kicked the **** out this game.
    * AA mossie - no idea how to improve it. Hardly fly.
  2. Disconsented

Basically: Buffing AA will make air useless
    • Up x 3
  3. FieldMarshall

Atleast give SGs access to the engagement radar.
    if you spend all your resources on a tank that can only do one thing, i feel like it should atleast be decent at it.
    • Up x 7
  4. HadesR

The hard counter to air should always have been other air, but they ****** up the Inter-Air Meta when they gave everything access to both A2A and A2G ...

One buff I would like to see though is to Base Turrets .. They are way to squishy compared to their dmg out put ..

So either Increase their defenses or their DPS
    • Up x 9
  5. Takara

It's their long range accuracy that is the joke. Being a base turret it should be more stable and slightly higher velocity. If it could start a more accurate long range engagement it would be able to soften things up before they got in range. I would be cool with that.

For the OP....When I fly my lib I generally run into three types of enemy ESF's. The the first kind are the ones that know what they are doing...and generally ruin my day. The second kind fly at us shoot six bullets and then instantly run away when my tail gunner hits him a few times. And third....the kind that fly in a straight light, afterburning RIGHT at me..they either crash right into my lib and give me the kill...or let my tailgunner own them.

First lesson of playing AA.....don't do it alone. Just about everything in this game has access to some kind of AA The lib is blanced around the fact almost everything in game has some way of shooting at it. So....two skyguards > 1 lib. One skyguard + one G2A missile launcher > lib.

Never open up on a lib with a skyguard that doesn't know you are there. Let him zoom in, do a little bombing and take a few lock ons. Then THEN you open up on him. Or if you see him start to take flak from somewhere else open up on him again. I promise you will be far more effective.

When I pilot I always wonder just WTF is going through people's mind when they start shooting at me when I'm so far out 1/10th of their rounds hit me. :p
  6. ColonelChingles

The hard counter to armour should always have been other armour.
    The hard counter to Skyguards should always have been other Skyguards.
    The hard counter to tank mines should always have been other tank mines.
    • Up x 19
  7. Imperialus

Speaking as someone who pulls a skyguard fairly regularly I think you're looking at it the wrong way. It's not the most rewarding cert wise, but a single skyguard along with a few heavies with GTA lockons can scare a lot of pilots away, or at least put enough DPS on them that they are constantly flying away to repair.

One thing I wouldn't mind seeing is a slight skyguard buff against infantry so we aren't just wasted nanites after we've managed to clear the area.
  8. Asageh

Because suggesting Air is strong will send all the A2G farmers into a rampaging assault against the individual.
    • Up x 6
  9. CipherNine

Skyguard isn't hard counter?

1 Skyguard will win against 1 ESF
    2 Skyguards will win against 3/3 Liberator

Only reason why you aren't getting much kills as Skyguard is because pilots are smart enough to back off and not engage you any further. What you essentially want is a vehicle which can wtfpwn pilots at long distances before they can know what hit them. Now that would be unbalanced.

Here is what I suggest: cut Skyguard range in half and double its DPS. You'll get hard counter which can kill aircraft before they can retreat and pilots will finally be relieved from Skyguards plinking at their health from extreme distances.
    • Up x 5
  10. CipherNine

Thats right, reduce it to absurd.
    • Up x 2
  11. Pfundi

So we remove tank cannons n sniper rifles as well?
    • Up x 1
  12. CipherNine

Forumside logic
    • Up x 1
  13. Sulsa

Because it's not one guy playing 20 different units; it's one guy choosing one unit to play. If that unit he chooses has a 'hard counter' out on the battlefield that he has no chance against, he isn't going to use it again ever.
    No disrespect intended but either you are using 'hard counter' incorrectly or you haven't thought through the difference between a strategy game and an MMOFPS like Planetside 2.
  14. Pfundi

Hey its hitting an infantry man and killing him before he even knows it or can react, I know kind of a far away example, but it is kinda true, isnt it?
    • Up x 1
  15. OldMaster80

Well the Valkyrie... oh wait no, the Valkyrie is defenceless against aircraft :(
  16. Takara

When was it any other way...I've played this game since before release....if the guy continues to fly at you he will die...if he turns away when he starts taking damage he can escape...it's been that way since release. Why is it dumb that an ESF or Liberator can live if they run away from a static damage source?

I actually remember flak getting buffed and composite armor getting nerfed since release. I don't ever recall a flak nerf....( if there was please provide links and enlighten me)
  17. Bindlestiff

That is easy to answer. People hate air.
  18. Hatesphere

The problem isnt the range its the flack, its makes it to easy to score random chip damage at range. they just need to remove the flack from the damn thing and tighten up the cone of fire a bit. make it a heavy low velocity walker and call it a day. less flack = less annoying for pilots, and it also has the added effect of giving the skygaurd some higher skill ceiling.
    • Up x 1
  19. \m/SLAYER\m/

what is AA mossie? default gun + some patience = profit
    the problem, if you can't instagib vehicles, it feels like you can't kill it at all. it's like shooting BOSSes, takes more bullets.
  20. TheFamilyGhost

Crying about Air is nothing new.

The most crying comes from those that don't know how hard playing in the air is.

The only thing broken are players' attitudes. They find that crying on the forums are more rewarding than finding in-game solutions.
    • Up x 2