Spawn kill XP going from 25xp to 0xp.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Aeravic, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Hatesphere

it wont "fix" it, but it will stop rewarding people for doing it.
  2. DHT#

The rewards are already pretty minimal. You have to kill 4x as many people to get the same xp as someone who hasn't done anything to earn points. Certainly not the same value as someone who's killed several others.

The problem is spawn camping is the only real way of preventing a counter-cap. 15 seconds is more than enough time to get to a point and start shooting at most bases, this will actively punish people who aren't spawn camping as well.
  3. Hatesphere

its not the "only real way" its just the easiest way and people are lazy. they just never should have rewarded people for doing it in the first place and the meta might not have taken off so hard.
  4. Demigan

Hahaaaaa! This is the worst argument ever.

Let's look at how this argument works:
    It says that it is a valid strategy. It doesn't explain how, it just is. Let's assume it is a valid strategy. You wait at a Sunderer and start killing people as they spawn. Oh noes! Patch day! We don't get XP from farming a Sunderer anymore! The tactic doesn't work!
    Oh wait, it still works perfectly, you just don't get XP anymore.

Could you explain how this is a valid strategy? How this works well for improving your sides chances of winning?

Also, can you explain how this is a valid game-system? The game is supposed to be fun for everyone. There needs to be some kind of balance. Every player gets the opportunity to fight back in any part of the game, you can check what enemies there are and change loadout or decide to spawn somewhere else... except when spawning at a Sunderer. It's the only place where you jump into the unknown, you might die due to a Duster hanging above it, instakilling anyone spawning there. You might die to some HE crapshoot who does nothing but sit there and peform statpadding.
  5. Goretzu

The more I think about it the more 15 seconds does seem way to long, even with a bad connection you can do a lot, with a good connection you can be half way across a base in 15 seconds if the sundy is by the way.
  6. nehylen

I think it should be more around 10s AND within a perimeter around the spawn point: if the spawned guy just walks out of it, he shouldn't be a no-reward: he's actively participating in battle.
    In 15 seconds you can cover most the distance to anywhere in an outpost.
  7. TheFamilyGhost

How sad is it when the devs need to change the game because people refuse to improve their play.
    • Up x 2
  8. Yeahy

Crap forgot.
    Wait...what if I get the kill after I die?
    #Ninja'd

On a serious note, its not going to prevent spawn camping, it is either going to
    1. Make people just redeploy when their team pushes up to the spawn. That would prevent spawn camping but it would screw the game over so hard.
    2. Have people just not try to kill people they know just spawned.

In short, there is no benefit for most people, its boring enough to spawn camp, then you take away xp and everything goes carzy.
  9. Inex

On a small base maybe, and as pointed out earlier...

Have you been watching any of the official streams on the Planetside Twitch? Redeploying as soon as the fight is 'over' is what they're teaching.
  10. Axehilt

While I'll generally agree it changes nothing, it should be noted that base capture XP is generally pretty crap and isn't really a strong reason to stay around if the battle is basically over. If my side has 60% pop or more and establishes a spawn camp, I basically ditch that battle for the next one half the time.
    • Up x 1
  11. Hegeteus

Doesn't affect me fortunately
  12. Yeahy

Yeah but most of the casual and lesser experienced player base does not do that.
  13. Hatesphere

ditto, and I usually get more XP since i'm killing things and not trying to muscle people out for a fire lane on the trickle of enemies coming through the spawn shield while waiting for the anemic base cap XP.
  14. Goretzu

Most bases, but the big ones I would say.

That's the point though ones side can kill the other can't (or it counts for nothing).

I don't disagree with the priniciple, I think 15 seconds is too long though 10 seconds is definately long enough.

After 15 seconds you are NOT farming someone that has just spawned at a sundy, you're killing someone 15 seconds away from a Sundy, which (as mentioned) is quite a distance away, potentially.
  15. Inex

It still counts for taking the base.

You get rid of the driver for some toxic behaviors though. You don't have people worried about stepping out of the spawn shield because they don't want a 0:15 KDR. And you don't have Scourge Bulldogging a spawn, grunting and sweating like a dog in heat.

Now, I would love to see a solution derived from redesigns which make defending and respawning easier to fight back from, but removing the impetus to spam a shield just for the KDR is a quick, easy way to help.

Not yet. Hopefully not ever, but I'm not a terribly hopeful person.
    • Up x 1
  16. Goretzu

Deaths don't give exp and they don't give kill credit for 15 seconds, but they do still count for/as deaths don't they?
  17. Inex

Quite possibly. I can't find evidence of this, so I may have been inferring it from the idea that if the kill doesn't count, the death doesn't either.
  18. Goretzu

They mention not counting for directives specifically, I'd have though they have mentioned death not counting specifically too, as it would be a pretty big change.

And knowing the way Rez works currently it would probably stil count on some sights (no idea why they have it like that now). :D
  19. Wildclaw

Where does everyone get the 15s from?

From what I know, the spawn kill timer has never been longer than 10s outside of a brief period on the test server when the feature was first introduced.

Edit: Looks like it was from the developer. Does that mean the spawn kill timer is changing as well?
  20. MarkAntony

Yes you do. So do I. All the other zerglings don't...