Fix Cloaking already. Enough is enough.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Flaeb, Aug 30, 2014.

1. _itg

This is good advice and all, but it's not really relevant to the point of the thread, which is mainly that crouch-walking cloakers are just as visible as sprinters, which doesn't exactly make sense. Especially since everyone carries a pistol with the "you lose" flashlight, and there are virtually no drawbacks to doing so, so cloakers really, really, deserve to be a little less visible--or the flashlight ought to be nerfed in some way.
    • Up x 1
  2. Vaphell

frankly i never stopped to consider pure AI infiltrators of PS2 ridiculous. Logically speaking, they should be the prime sabouteurs, blowing **** up included and in fact focused on, seeing how they are fragile, sneaky and losing to anybody in a head on encounter, but because of 'zomg invisible people blowing up mah farmmobile are unfair' they got demoted to largely useless nuthuggers good for carrying motion detectors or shameless farmers that are stopped dead in their tracks by anything mechanical, where things mechanical are everywhere.

This supposedly sci-fi game literally promotes AV tricks, where people chase **** with C4 in their hand screaming banzaaaii like the headless dudes from Serious Sam. That's WW2 era soviet style, garbage tactics. Why not promote sending right people for the job, forcing counterintel and infantry shields for mech? Nope, mech should be free to farm even solo because combined farms.
    • Up x 1
  3. ZomboWTF

Infiltrators are the ONLY class with no means to fight against vehicles, besides turret hacking
    if no turrets are there... choose another class

pretty ridculous in a game that is dominated by farming with vehicles

the only way a cloaker can damage a vehicle without turrets is if a few LAs or other classes stick C4 to you and you tell them when to push the button
  4. NC_agent00kevin

I lose a lot less of those if they'd just fix hit detection once and for all. Prior to this update I was good to go face to face with any class and sometimes even Heavy Assaults. Now Im lucky to beat a LA in a face to face. Its really demotivating to go from decent/serviceable hit detection to utter garbage again.

I even shot a guy in the back dead center with an AP round the other night; it exploded on him but he just kept on truckin; completely unaware that he should be very, very dead.
  5. Flaeb

You obviously don't know how to play infiltrator, because we HAVE a way to damage vehicles. Explosive arrows for our Crossbow. DUH! Learn to play!

On a more serious note, cloakers in PS1 used to be able to hack enemy vehicles as a counter. But they stated they won't implement that in this game. ;/
  6. Taemien

Like I said, if they gave deep cloak to sprint speed, you'd still get shot up. The problem is you're moving while being observed. That's what gets you shot. Not the level of cloak.

And the flashlights only come out when they suspect an infil, meaning the guy sneaking around, messed up. I addressed that as well.
  7. Flaeb

Thats not what the issue is. A good infiltrator won't be sprinting infront of a bunch of enemies regardles. The problem crouch walking visibility is the same of sprinting right now. And it gives stalkers zero power inside the enemy base, or sneaking up without EASILY being seen from 100 meters out. I'm serious, you see a cloaked stalker walking very slow, a enemy can notice in his peripheral vision from far away when the infiltrator tapped the "W" movement key. Its that bad.

The idea with Stalker is fine right now, no need for buffs in any regard, they just need a slight deeper cloak in crouch walking *not as deep as crouch stationary*. That's all!
  8. Moonheart

You don't seem to understand what we are saying.
    WE KNOW we shouldn't move while being observed, but WE CAN'T avoid it.

There are lot of situation when a stalker die if it don't move... but the problem is, they die also if they move.
  9. t31os

Cloak should have more active states, for sure.. but it's rather minor...

A good cloaker knows where to be, when to move... but sometimes you're just up shh** creek and you gotta take the hit.

Loved that post about concealment from Taemien, sure i've read at least something like it before, and even if it wasn't that post it in particular, it changed the way i play infil and you can be sure i'm more a thorn in anyone's side than i was prior. Key point really being that infils should never play as if they are ever invisible(which is fine with me).

Cloak, proxy mines, recon darts(luv those), what more could you need,...? You're not a hunting a machine in direct one on one, use the tools you have..
    • Up x 1
  10. Flaeb

You're correct, and thats acceptable, but if they added a deep cloak, then they should add a slightly deep cloak in crouch walking. That's really all. Its silly that sprinting and walking slowly give the same visibility.
  11. t31os

Agreed, speed should determine cloak visibility.

Again though, the current implementation works with the tools available, but the former(speed = visibility state) would be preferable.
    • Up x 1
  12. Taemien

So you're telling me that you want the ability to move around inside a base like Metal Gear Solid's cardboard box? Again you are dealing with real people, not NPCs. Even with Deep Cloak you will still get killed inside a base. The reason is because its an enclosed space with nothing 'busy' going on like outside. Even standing still in Deep Cloak (stationary) will get you killed by observant players inside. I do it all the time. Something looks off, I shoot, and get hit indicators and a infil freaking out because he thought I couldn't see him without a darklight.

Again it is CONCEALMENT. It doesn't make you invisible. Just because you're hiding under a techplant floor colored blanket doesn't mean I'm going to ignore you. If something else has my attention, like a MAX or something, then I -might- not notice your little ruse.

How you hide in a building is like everyone else. Get BEHIND something and Break Line of Sight.

Deep Cloak isn't a guarantee, the reason why I can pick them out without darklight is because the dummy decides to turn. Turning in place keeps him in deep cloak, but makes the shimmer move with him. That movement is really REALLY out of place inside buildings. So imagine what moving, even very slowly will do? Get you shot like it does now.

The only time it -might- protect you is if the enemy is sprinting past and his view is moving, meaning the walls, ceiling, and floors are moving. But if at any point you move against that relative motion, you will stick out like a sore thumb.

That's alot of IFs you want the Devs to change something for. Alot of IFs you can avoid by using proper Cover. There's plenty of boxes, counters, and corners in base buildings to hide behind. Use those.
  13. Asageh

I cant spot a cloaked infiltrator even if he's 5m in front of me jumping, due to my graphical settings.

Look for me on the battle field, i cant find you anyways.
  14. Taemien

Turn your settings up.

You'll be able to see those cloaked infils. The Game will look better. And you'll get better framerates.

Don't ask why that last one is true, I suspect the low res stuff isn't working properly. Unless your PC is over 6 years old.
  15. Moonheart

I agree on this point. It is perhaps not the right solution... but it doesn't mean there is no problem to solve, however.
  16. Flaeb

You make valid points. Not sure if I stated this already, but I've been a "infiltrator" type even Planetside 1. They brought the mechanic over to Planetside 2 and tweaked it a bit. I've play Infiltrator almost exclusively in this game as well, and going by personal experience, my deaths are not by me running in the open, or stopping and hoping the enemy didn't see me. No, I die because I'm behind enemy lines, and some guy from like 50 meters out glanced me tapped the W key which makes me look like a giant Carved Ice Statue (I got bored saying Christmas Tree).

I don't understand why you think cloaking visibility should be the same as somebody sprinting like a manic and crouching very slowly. (Planetside 1 from 2003, had a cloak staging system, the slower the move, the less visible you are). How can people argue the system they have now is fine? It makes no sense!

Again, the points you made come into play. Even if they implement what I asked, I will die to people who noticed something fishy "over there". I died like that in Planetside 1, it happens, and kudos to those with great perception.
  17. Taemien

I'm actually indifferent to the change. I think its a waste of time to be honest however. As I said, the reason someone dies from tapping W is why you wouldn't see much of a change except that rare time when the 'observer' is running and won't notice it.

As I've said, I've capped people in deep cloak because they turned. Turning doesn't drop deep cloak. But turning makes them stand out regardless. To achieve the result you want would require true invisibility, aka your character isn't rendering at all. And we all know we won't get that here.
  18. Flaeb

Well having a advantage/disadvantage against cloaked depending on your graphical settings has been in the game for a long time, at least we hope to see a fix on this.
  19. Moonheart

There are worst things than that. CuteBeaver recently posed a video where he's testing the stalker cloak "deep cloaking" with a friend...

Results are... scary:

• Up x 1
  20. Flaeb

Yup........That's not cool.