I thought lock continent would be a good thing!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Silkensmooth, Jun 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xuani

Yep, It's 7.30pm and I've just finished my supper. Got a couple of hours spare so I log in for a bit of fun. Caught the last 10 mins of an alert on Amerish. Then it's locked. Now I have to choose between Hossin or Esamir. Forget it I'm not spending my 2 hours free time playing in continents I don't like so I can unlock one I do like. And by the time that happens I have used up all my free time anyway. I'll find something else to do instead. I'm done with this rubbish.

If they remove continent locking I will probably come back, but right now this game is just ruined for casual players.
    • Up x 2
  2. Jaedrik

They're largely different people.
    • Up x 2
  3. AshHill07

The people who disagree are the loudest.
    The people who agree are currently in game enjoying themselves.
    • Up x 3
  4. ProfessorHobbes

I don't understand how people having their preferred continent locked would make them quit the game. I definitely have my preferred continents, however I honestly could care less where I play as long as there are some good fights going on.

Plus there is one huge plus that I have personally benefited from through continent locking: I am diversifying my game play. For example I really enjoy tanking, and Indar is a very tank friendly continent. It provides a decent amount of cover while offering a variety of terrain. However I found Hossin is much more difficult to use a tank on. It's very claustrophobic in areas, and you are under constant threat of C4 with all the cover LA have in the trees.

But learned something a long time ago in this game. If I stick to a particular playstyle on a particular continent I will have no fun. So now on Hossin I am playing the LA class a lot more, which is one of the classes I have very little play time on. I've improved my game play with the LA and as a result I am now enjoying it more.

Moral of the story, people need explore the massive diversity of options in this game. Start playing a class you rarely touch if you can't play your preferred class.

Because I do this I ALWAYS get to play my preferred play style. Why? Because I have learned to use a huge diversity of play styles and classes to where I am good enough that they are really enjoyable.

It's sad seeing all the people in this thread who are glued to a single play style on a single continent. There is a reason you are hating all the changes with the game, and it's not the game. Yes, continent locking isn't perfect, and without stuff like intercontinental lattice and resource revamp it just doesn't truly shine. But people need to look at the positives, and start adapting to the changes that are made. You can't just walk away in life when things change.
    • Up x 1
  5. sternn58

I'm the same way, I play as many roles as possible to keep the game fresh. It works. However, there was nothing stopping you from doing that before the continent locking system, and now other people are having less fun as a result. There has to be a better way to kill an ant than using a stick of dynamite. Continent locking is heavy handed and pointless.
    • Up x 1
  6. Ronin Oni

lol wat?

Well over half the bases on Hossin are brand new and designed great.

The facilities are kinda stamped in, and the rest of the minor bases or w/e... but I've spend most my time fighting in ares entirely unique to Hossin.

Quit going to biolab fights? Hell, I tend to avoid all major facilities on Hossin if I can.
    • Up x 1
  7. Ronin Oni

No, actually we couldn't just play anywhere.

There WERE no big fights on other continents. Now big fights rotate and hey, lookit that, when Indar is unlocked there's still fighting on it. Go figure.

Just because it's not 24/7 doesn't mean it's the end of the world :rolleyes:
    • Up x 3
  8. Goden

I'm OKAY with Esamir as long as it is populated and not over or under populated.

I prefer Indar due to its size and combat variety.

I strongly dislike Amerish due to the base design.

I strongly dislike Hossin due to base design and terrain design.

The two continents that seem to be locked the most are Indar and Esamir. The result? I log off and play another game. I will not force myself to play something I don't enjoy just because some people on the forums thinks I *HAVE* to. No, I don't.
    • Up x 1
  9. Scr1nRusher

Forumside....... you are a beast that is destroying your game and also corrupting redditside with your negative and bizarre thinking.
    • Up x 1
  10. Goden

Then why the hell are you still reading these threads?

Shouldn't you be playing the actual game?
  11. Scr1nRusher

because someone has to help forumside get itself together for the sake of the game.

I am lol Its called windowed fullscreen + multitask skills.

I don't care about what continent I fight on, aslong as I'm fighting and the games filled with players.
    • Up x 1
  12. BitteMitSahne

CL as it is now on all servers exept Emerald, sucks for me.
    Making a step backwards, we had 3 continents to play on now only 2 left, never makes people happy.
    Before patch we had to choose from 3 continents to play on, now we have 1 or Hossin.
    Give all servers the 3th continent back.
    • Up x 1
  13. Scr1nRusher

Continent locking is fine right now.

Also its PHASE 1.

Phase 2 and phase 3 will come with the battleislands & intercontinental lattice.

The EU servers need mergers, and are going to be getting mergers.
    • Up x 1
  14. sternn58

Before, people fought the big fights were they wanted to fight. Now they fight the big fights in places they are forced to go. It seems that a more imaginative. reward based system would have be preferable and a lot less disruptive that this continent lock mess.
  15. Scr1nRusher

IE indar, Because thats where everyone was because of the bad populations.

The fact that people had to be "forced" off indar should tell you that theres a problem with indar. To many addicted people.

thats coming in Phase 2 and Phase 3..... which are coming with the inter continental lattice and battleislands.
    • Up x 2
  16. libbmaster

We need to get the people satisfied with these changes out of the game and on to forumside to defend them.

Clearly, SOE understands this, and have released a patch to the PTS so horrid that it will bring people back to the forums in a frothing rage, where they will discover these threads and lay into the dissenters after making their own threads proclaiming that SOE has ruined the game!

Seriously. This is one of the times I am happy that the devs watch reddit more than forumside: at least there these dumb threads don't come up.
    • Up x 1
  17. FailasaurusRex

I believe i fully understand your point, though i believe mine is lost or unclear. So we'll just deal with one portion of your statement. "I tend to avoid all major facilities on Hossin if I can.

The reason i suspect you and I do exactly this is because we've already done it (larger facilities) to death.
    Which brings in the point im trying to get across... exchange of content.
    For whats been taken away (continent of your choice) what have we gotten back? Not nearly a unique enough experience/exchange if we both actively choose to avoid ingame content due to whatever reason it maybe.
    Content is the domain of the developer.
    So en equal content exchange then is a new continent? no
    Not when you're doing the same stuff in basically the same surroundings with more of the same gameplay.
    In the end it just feels like hexes strewn together. Same as any group of hexes on any part of any continent we already have.

Locking is a key feature of this game. Considering all the ps1 had at its disposal in terms of facilities and such to be playing a new map with all the same old is very underwhelming. ::shrugs shoulders::
  18. Ronin Oni

If they're going to stamp out some bases, I'd much rather them be the facilities than all the bases inbetween.

Sure, about 25% of the bases are those "Construction Sites" and they're certainly nothing special, but all the fully designed bases are amazing.

The facilities, while repeats in general layout, still have some unique flavor with the Hossin specific terrain (I had a great tank run attacking a tech plant due to all the trees). More importantly, even though they're not new, they're some of the best bases of all common style bases there are.

Hossin isn't done. It's only about half done. (well, overall far more than that, but half the map is in finished state and doesn't need more work. The other half the map is in partial state. The overall completion is therefore 75-80% figuring all work needed)
  19. Gearlock

Granted your point is valid that Amerish is lost either way, but in the current scenario its lost for a while, period. With lattice locking you could be pushed back, because normally take that first fresh new base on a new continent was pretty challenging. But that wasn't really the point. More of a side point.

The point was that he mentioned a reward for your hard won territory.

The only reward is going somewhere else now, with a handful of extra certs? There's no reward.

I look at the way this was implemented as team death match map rotation. Nothing more.

Not complaining. My expectations are now bottomed out. I'm happy when hit detection is working. Pretty sad that it's trained some of us to be like "YEAH NEW CONTENT THAT DOESNT CHANGE ANYTHING." instead of questioning "What exactly did we spend the last 2 years on??"

Ah, continent locking with no tangible effect or benefit, only potential detriment as some people see it.
    • Up x 1
  20. sternn58

I respect your opinions Scr2nRusher, but I have to say that I don't think there is actually a thing called Indar addiction. I think a large percentage of the player population just like that continent better. I like Esamir, but go figure, different strokes. Even now it seems like it would be a bad idea to lobby SOE to try and force people to fight on my favorite continent and ban them from playing on theirs.

As far as this being only phase one of a three phase program, I guess I think that whole program is a dead end waste of developer resources. When it is done and implemented I don't see how it will improve the game at all. I don't see it drawing new players in, or causing the ones who are here to want to stay. I do believe, however, that in the first week after it goes live some of my PS1 veteran buddies will have to keep a change of underwear close.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.