I thought lock continent would be a good thing!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Silkensmooth, Jun 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. volth

Everything on Esamir and Amerish looks the same. On Indar its diffrent. Hossin is just alot of lights, fog and water.
    • Up x 1
  2. NewSith

See? Not the amount of available continents, but the amount of available space. And what's more funny is that it is not related to lattice either. It's just where people prefer to go. And they prefer to go to old Crown-like battles. The only way to add your wanted "variety" into it is force them out of these crown fights. That's devs logic and such logic is correct, except the execution is typically flawed.

And you sir, only reinforce my point.
    • Up x 1
  3. Taemien

If a continent you want to play on is locked. Then unlock it. YOU have the control, take control. Step up the game. I'm sorry guys but SOE is not the one to go to about this.

Its now in the hands of the PLAYERS. Go to the leads of the major outfits on your faction and tell them to unlock the continent you want to play on.
    • Up x 1
  4. PurpleBeefer

SOE announced BFR's are coming back after the hossin launch, also caves are coming back and alient tech. GET READY OLD FOGEYS.

anyways throw in my two certs, i like the idea of cont locking. yes i wish it was a lil more like the old PS1 locking, where it wasnt literally locked, AMS spawn tower cap/gen drain. I didnt play long enough last night due to the overwhelming number of TR on hossin (again could be the fact their zerg swarmed some small base we held) but i think as bumpy as this ride can be, itll be for the greater good. it may be a bit late but perhaps maybe, some strategy can be brought back, and sense of accomplishment from pushing out a faction.
  5. Tito

soe wee need lock the car 24 hr viola players swaping the better faction
  6. PhantomOfKrankor

Funny that this wasn't the answer when people complained about Indarside.
    "It's in the hands of the PLAYERS. Go to the leads of the major outfits on your faction and tell them you don't like Indar and you want to fight on the continent you want to play on."
    But guess what, people complained about Indar to be cool but kept going back anyway. Now we have a silly mechanic and it's significantly less in the hands of the players.
    • Up x 4
  7. Tacom

I have to disagree here. Now it is completely in the hands of the players. Other players.

My only problem is that, ghostcapping, a few players can force where the majority of people will be able to play. But if the lock was through a fight involving hundreds of players then its OK with me.
  8. Morchai

And for the second day in a row when I check to see if the game is playable during the only hours I'm able to play, Indar is locked and I'm stuck with Forumside or something else entirely.

Oh well, maybe tomorrow. Eventually I'll decide checking is futile and stop altogether.
    • Up x 3
  9. iller

Da** straight! ...I hate being forced onto Indar every night b/c every other continent has no one on it to play against.

Oh wait .... you were whining b/c it forced you OFF of indar.
    lol U
    • Up x 2
  10. BuckRaven

I agree that continent-locking needs to be more dynamic. Let certain bases on the other continent open up the WG of the other continents for example. Basing the locks solely upon continent-domination (mostly ghost-capping tbh) or winning alerts (mainly zerg-fights) seems odd to me.

Basically that (and the rest of what you said). Very well put indeed.

Everything on Indar looks the same too. Oh yeah, there's a small part in the corner which has some trees in it.
  11. axiom537

Agree...EXCEPT this is not the same type of locking we had in PS1, not even close. Even when a continent was locked in PS1 you could still travel through it, or even fight your way to it from one of the THREE other continents to gain a connection.

This is a poorly designed and implemented, that adds NO strategic value.
    • Up x 1
  12. volth

They dont want to, and if let say Amerish was locked before Indar then you need to cap 2 continents 94% before Indar unlock :), take 4+ hours to do that. Indar have been locked for 17 hours now on Ceres.

So no I dont have any controll at all, trolls that cap everything 5am in the morning have all the power in PS2 now.

But its ok, when SOE see that they lose players they going to remove the continental lock :)
    • Up x 1
  13. Serith6

IMO Indar isn't really that great, but everyone has a favorite continent and should be able to play on it.
    Also if you're underpopulated and 2 continents are locked, on one you are perma gate locked and you can't really get a hold on the last one too or you hate the last one it really deprimates ... this is actually the first patch is launch which could actually could make me stop playing the game.
    • Up x 2
  14. Xuani

For someone who doesn't get a lot of time to play every day, I just want to log in and play an hour or so on my favorite continent which I always enjoyed. Now I log in and it's locked for some reason that I had nothing to do with. The other continents don't really interest me so it's kind of ruined the game. This will only push casual players away and it's not a good idea at all. In my opinion.
    • Up x 2
  15. Wecomeinpeace

The problem with continent locking is that they put it in without intercontinental lattice or a proper capturing mechanic.

Currently a random alert will pop up and the winner automatically locks the continent, regardless of the actual hexes owned by the winner. That feels very unnatural and not smooth. Additonally, since there are no last stands at WGs or something alike, any fight will just suddenly end in a very anticlimactic way as soon as the continent goes *poof* to the winner of the alert. That just didn't feel right.

I know it's "WIP", but maybe SOE should have started with only hossin and wait with the locking mechanics untill they are ready.

Oh, and to the people who "cannot play on their favorite continent": Guys, that's the whole point of a Planetside game. War isn't allways everywhere, frontlines are moving, territory is being captured. Those permanent threeways on all continents with a WG for each faction is NOT how this game is supposed to be. If you can allways go to your favorite place it would just be a lobby shooter. Once more, that not every faction has access to every continent all of the time IS THE BLOODY POINT OF THIS GAME.

By the way, if you allready get so ****** about this, better uninstall now and get it over with. With intercontinental lattice and some more continents it can happen that you won't be able to play on your beloved indar for weeks.
  16. Tanchester

Too all of you saying continent locking is the best thing SOE put in the game.. I dare you to make a VS character on Miller and play 1 day.
    I'm sure, if you're not insane that you'll see why I'm against continent locking.

E.G. Esamir unlocked 20minutes ago, NC has 60% Pop on it, every base me and my outfit dropped in, we were 20% at best.
    Zerg fiesta, and the worst thing is, when we eventually gave up on taking anything, we had to wait fro 20mins to go to Hossin, which was the other available continent at the time, and once we did that, it switched us back to Esamir since Hossin was full.
    My entire outfit either left the game or switched to zerg with NC making their population even bigger on Esamir.

Simple solution to Continent locking = I'm not gonna play PS2 until they remove it or at least fix it so we can go to all continents.
    Easier to do that than just have no fun playing a game which was the definition of fun all these years.
    • Up x 3
  17. Drumsticks617

I'm all for more diversity in the settings where we can play, but SOE needs to motivate people to go to other continents by making those continents better, not by forcing them out of their preferred ones. This game's community has become so toxic that a garbage mechanic like this is being praised because it's the meta to complain about Indar now. But people don't just fight on Indar because the fights are there. If that was the case, then people would stay on Amerish after Amerish alerts are over, but they don't. They go straight back to Indar. there's a reason for this pattern.
    • Up x 3
  18. Eaderout

There is a lot of crying but few points being made from the OP.

This is a war game, so like war you can control areas of play until they are taken from you. Areas give you resources, advantages and all that jazz.

Locking is here to stay but how continents are locked is a joke. The Alert by far is the worst and the 94% is better but not really. In my option to lock out a continent you have to push the enemy to the warpgate and then kick them out of that gate. Te gates are linked to other continents so you have the ability to push the enemy to another continent as well as the enemy can push back.nif your faction controls a continent then you can get some reward only if you completely control it. So in my perfect world you can only "lock" a continent if your faction keeps control of it, not this alert/94% stuff.

Weather. Weather is great, yes it sucks when you cannot see but guess what? No one can control the weather so I don't see an issue with it.

Continents. We all have our fav one for this reason or that. Maybe there should be servers where people can play the old way before locking and the.p new way. In liked the old way but I think locking is more realistic (as I stated above, not current system) so I am all for being forced to play in new areas.

Over all besides biting players faces off for options can't we find some common ground and request change (if the secs will even listen.......
  19. Mangopizza

For those who want the lock on contents how about a vehicle lock too. You can no longer re-spawn a vehicle until you have spawned and made at lest five kills with every vehicle available. And the same for Planes no air until you use all of the ground and get kills with each and every one. This would be fair since it would encourage people to use something other then spawn camp in flying craft all day. If you suck with a specific style of vehicle you should ask the top outfits to help you unlock other vehicles.

This is about the same as content locking which makes it totally fair and balanced amright?
    • Up x 2
  20. isw0723

:3... people I'm wondering what happen if two continent is locked and players are overpopulated? two locked continent is just locked? I was read PS2 wikia and I couldn't find if anyone knows it please tell me
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.