Shotguns: the coyotes of the ground game

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by rocko95, May 7, 2014.

1. Surmise

1 PA shotgun pellet that you can shoot in 1 click (<1second of time) does 450% more damage than 1 bullet that has 143dmg that goes out of the gun in the same time the PA's one does too, in counter strike TTK of a shotgun is the same of full auto AK-47 from 1 meter when you headshot.....talking about balance in ps2....

Perfect thing to do would be to reduce the damage every shotgun does by at least 1/3rd of total dmg and increasing effective range a bit so that they aren't instant i win thing from up close where the most battles are fought in this game..

Having shotguns the way they are at the moment, gives chance to worst FPS players to kill ANYONE up close if they just click a bit and if they are facing forward.

Noone really understands in this community of 'i'm better than anyone because im mega skilled and awesome' that everyone has potential to get better at FPS aspect, but noone wants because they think they are already great or best of best, not even more half of 50percent of people understand the joy and feels of getting better at something which is sad.
  2. ttttz

Relevant. SOE are planning to introduce a new shotgun in the form of a side arm for the NC.
  3. Surmise

Are you sure that's not possible? Look up Counterstrike's shotguns, they have same TTK up close as most used automatic weapons such is AK47 and M4A4, that right there is balance.
  4. KendoPS1

Uhm , I played PS1 for years and carrying a shotgun was far from the norm ( unless NC ).
    As far as I remember, I sometimes carried sweeper as an Agile for towerdrops ( mainly because the ammo lasted longer ) and when Rexo I carried either MCG/Cycler and a thumper or decimator depending on certs.

I don't recall anyone using sweeper exclusively, because for a shotgun, it wasn't that powerful compared to PS2's shotguns, but IMO still balanced. I also don't recall much people even carrying one, because rifle/HA + AV or SA was just more useful.
    It required alot more aim, because everyone strafed at 100kph and I think it took 2 shots point blank to kill an agile, but more often took 3 or 4. A rexo died in 5 or 6, depending on personal shield.

Now, everyone except infil has the same hp and doesn't move as fast. Base design brings infantry closer together much faster, in PS1 there was alot of corridor and courtyard fighting before you got to real CQC situations.Infantry will move inside buildings much faster too, because outside is the realm of vehicles which now everyone has access to. You didn't see many BR2's rolling tanks in PS1, let alone flying reavers.
    In PS1 there was free and basically unlimited grenade spam to flush out people behind cover, now you get one chance and you better hope the nade (which comes with a freaking warning ) has some effect or the shotgun user hiding around the corner will still be there.
    So that's 5 points that enhance the effect of shotguns. IMO, it's not the weapon that's out of balance, it's the game :/

Now with the implant that hides your movement on the minimap, it should make shotgun play even easier.
  5. Posse

This

Excluding PAs, all the other shotguns have a TTK of 0.23-0.26 (with body shots), the fastest TTK you can see in an automatic rifle/carbine is 0.43, tighten the CoF of the shotguns so they can be used at more ranges, reduce the TTK to the 0.35-0.38 range, and now we're talking.
    • Up x 1
  6. OldCuban

Another player whinning about dying to shotguns....../sigh

LTP please?

It's not like shotguns aren't available for you to use. If you let someone get so close to you that they one shot you with a shotgun that's YOUR BAD. Not the weapon's.

Whinerside does it again!
  7. Latrodectus

Some people would prefer not to have to jump into a mud pit to fight with a pig.
  8. Pathogenic

The only things shotguns need are silhouette clarification and a slight range/acc buff in the form of smaller spread in exchange for much smaller mags and ammo caps to provide clearer moments of weakness and promote more accuracy in usage, not just plugging it into their chest at 1m. But that has nothing to do with OP complaining about having a 2.0 K/D with a single gun and trying to complain about other weapons.

To touch on those, UBGL and rockets just need to not resupply from ammo packs. That's it. The reload speeds and vulnerability if you don't kill with a rocket are severe. The UBGL is more of a finisher tool and a great way to apply damage while flying, per my time as a LA, unless you sit on an ammo pack spamming a pathway.

And if I see this punk comment about shotgun balance in CS again like the shotguns are anything but low tier in that, I may flip my wig.
  9. FieldMarshall

I cant remember the last time i died to a shotgun.
    As far as shotguns go, i take a grand total of 0 damage from people with zero skill.
  10. Hank

[IMG]

I say we push to Nerf the T1 Cycler because it kills people.....
    I wonder how many of those people you killed with the obviously OP T1 cycler had shot guns??
  11. Silkensmooth

Just like coyotes except you actually have to aim.

Even from across most of the rooms inside of any base you will die to a machine gun with a shotgun.

A shotgun is a very specialized weapon.

With a shotgun you will often find yourself very frustrated by anyone who is further away than 5 meters.

You can fly by someone, do a barrel roll, and when they are not even on your screen in any way hit with a full volley of coyotes.

I had taken some videos of myself doing just that with coyotes, but since the 64 bit update the video capture doesnt work so they are all blank.

Last time i checked you couldn't just fire a shotgun and hit anyone within 10 meters.