LIBERATOR

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by x7xBillyDaKidx7x, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Titan6

I'm not arguing what the belly guns can do. I'm arguing their intent. They are designed as A2G weapons. Therefore, you cannot complain that they lack in Anti-air capacity. Your tail gun fills that role.

The Libs main line of defense from an air target, is the tail gun.
    • Up x 2
  2. Badname707

I didn't know that anyone was complaining that the lib belly guns weren't good enough at killing air.
  3. Titan6

Pilots are complaining that they're not going to have enough ammunition in their belly guns to defend themselves from air units. Something that shouldn't matter, since the tail gun is their AA, not the belly gun.

Can't ask the devs to balance a A2G weapon based on its lack of AA functionality.
    • Up x 7
  4. Badname707

Well, some people are idiots, I guess. The ammo nerf really wasn't that big of a deal.
  5. Ronin6113

You know what I love is how some people don't know what combined arms is. You should be just rolling around the air in a gun ship spamming the whole area with out a worry in the world. Learn to use your forces if Anti Air is there get some heavies or armor to take it out. I don't play for KDR I play for mission success which is way more rewarding. Too many people have lost sight of that, I believe in adapt and overcome.
    • Up x 3
  6. Badname707

Find me an outfit that can handle coordinating their air force around what goes on on the ground, and maybe sure. The command tools aren't good enough to really do that, If you treat air like it's something that has to work with the ground, without giving either ground nor air the tools to coordinate, and then there is no air game.
  7. EGuardian1

That's BS.

Why? Because an Air Squad with a bunch of libs can move into a place where they see an even fight and do an airstrike that'll turn the tide for the attackers/defenders on the ground. Even a single lib can do that. Smart pilots and squadron leaders will look for fights where they can make a difference without getting wrecked.

I just took a Lib with a Duster and locked down a bunch of VS in Crimson bluff by circling the tower at close range and allowing my allies on the ground to capture C and B with less hassle. When the AA guns got manned, we peeled off and asked our forces on the ground (there were only about 7 of us) to see if they could deal with the AA. Once the AA was gone, we went back in and rekt.

Here's the billboard, notice the timing? We get one kill, then the AA turrets start hassling us. Takes our allies a few mins to clear it out, then we go back. We take a dumb fire, fall back and repair, then go back and finish the cap.

[IMG]
    Lib Smart, Live Longer - even with the Duster. :p

EDIT: We had a Bulldog too. [IMG]
    • Up x 3
  8. Badname707

And it only took you 15 minutes to do it too!
  9. Ronin6113

Might have taken them 15 min but got the job done didn't it.
  10. PKfire

We are now traversing through the second major update affecting the Liberator directly and neither time has the Liberators ability to engage air with their belly-gun come up as an issue to the devs. If it were not an acceptable use of the weapon/vehicle to the degree you are arguing I would imagine we would have at least herd something from SOE after nearly two years of claims like yours peppering the forums and Reddit.

This is how it is. No amount of posting or believing otherwise is going to change that.
    • Up x 1
  11. GaBeRock

It matters for shredder, which gives up considerable AV damage compared to the dalton in return for being easier to hit fast movers. Dalton could use a small reserve ammo buff (+8-12 rounds, to put it slightly ahead of AP rounds, as it's harder to aim) and shredder could use resistence changes to deal as much damage against light armour as previously (before it lost blast damage) and +200 rounds.
  12. Badname707

You can also eat soup with a knife, if you don't have a spoon. Everyone already has spoons though.
  13. Titan6

Because they've never been particularity good at it in the hands of most users. Only a very small percentage of crews could pull it off, so it wasn't a mechanic problem.

Again, you cannot ask them to balance a weapon based on attributes it's not supposed to have. If you're out/low on belly gun ammo and a ESF comes up on, you should switch seats and use your PRIMARY DETERRENT to defend yourself.

If you don't have a walker, then that's your fault for being caught with your pants down.

Your belly gun was never designed to be your defense. Otherwise there's no reason for a tail gun in the first place.
    • Up x 3
  14. Irexistus

That's such a narrow-minded view of the game that it's borderline laughable. By the same line of thinking tanks (god bless them) shouldn't be able to take out air unless they're using the Walker secondary since hey, they were never intended to do that. Nevermind that a small percentage of tank crews can peg air pretty reliably given the chance, it's a mechanic problem.

You speak as if your view of the game is gospel from the developers, I seriously doubt it is. The Shredder has been more or less a rock through-out Planetside 2's development post-launch, receiving very few changes. Stop pretending like you're privy to the grand Planetside 2 vision while the rest of us are not.
    • Up x 2
  15. Titan6

I never said the belly guns can't take out air craft. I said it's not your primary defense, and you shouldn't ask for it to be balanced around a preconceived notion that does not exist.

Honestly, if you're not going to actually read a post, don't bother trying to formulate an argument against it. I never said belly guns can't/shouldn't be able to take out aircraft. I said they shouldn't be balanced based off of that. Because they're designed as A2G weapons. Therefore, they should be balanced as such. If you (A liberator) wants to defend yourself, you should be forced to take your AA-deterrent (The walker). Just like Tanks have to do. You should not be able to rely on your belly gun for both Ground and air defense. That makes you far to general of a unit and too few flaws in your armor. If you willing forgo your AA-tail gun, then that's your fault.

This forces liberators to specialize, which is exactly what they need. instead of such a general loadout that works too well in all situations.
    • Up x 3
  16. Badname707

That's not what he's saying. He's saying that tanks shouldn't be balanced around taking out air. They have the ability to, but their arc of fire is limited, so they'll be at a serious disadvantage without an AA gun. It wouldn't make sense to allow tanks to be able to shoot vertically, because AP rounds would be both the best AA and AV weapon.
  17. z1967

Does duster kills doe
  18. Irexistus

Exactly, they're balanced against taking out air on account of the things you listed. Are we using the word 'balance' with different meanings or something? You balance stuff against everything or your game turns into a mess.

His point seems to be "Liberator belly guns shouldn't be balanced against air because that's not what they're for". That's just silly. I'm a bit biased, though. Liberator air-to-air combat is about the most entertaining and rewarding thing in the game for me.
    • Up x 2
  19. Irexistus

You're basing your whole point on something that isn't true anymore. The game evolved. Two of the liberator bellyguns are used as anti-air effectively and have been for as long as the game's been out.

Humor me, if they made the Shredder an anti-air only weapon, would you be satisfied?

It'd be akin to removing HEAT rounds for the tank and only having HE (that does no damage to armor) and AP (which only does damage to armor).
    • Up x 3
  20. EGuardian1

:p it was a 12-24 fight, we held B and C the whole time, and VS weren't able to push out against our numerically smaller force including blueberries because we were there and while we dealt with softies, our 2-3 people on the ground dealt with the AA. Teamwork is OP, and can even balance a weapon like the Duster :p

Because the Duster is STILL terrible, but it's my favourite weapon to use BECAUSE of that :D