I'll say it. I think the reduction to MBT's primary velocity is a good thing.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by gnometheft, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Xhaleon

We'll manage.

I don't use a tank very often, but I've seen enough to know how the game is really played by real people, especially by people who are much better than I am. If they reduce the velocities of tank cannons, every one of us will continue on as normal, leading targets more, getting familiar with the new +25% projectile drop and all that. Not one experienced tank driver is going to just up and leave common sense behind to go charge at the enemy, unless they were desperate to turn around a losing battle.

All this patch will do is the exact opposite of what SOE wants it to do. The tank gameplay will be slowed down as people take more time to find their aim, and then even more time to connect their shots since tanks will now have their reverse speeds normalized with their forward gear. This is doubly true of Lockdown Prowlers who absolutely must keep a great distance away from the enemy, and on the flipside no opponent is going to think that charging a Lockdown Prowler is a good idea. Flanking and sneaking up on them in complex terrain would work fine, but that has nothing to do with turret stabilization nor lowered cannon velocities, it's just basic strategy.

The only exciting thing I can see happening is that the resulting slow pace of tank battles will give more time for other people to pull even more tanks and then bunch up on the firing line. After a certain critical zerg mass was reached and everyone got bored, I guess then it would eventually erupt into a massive brawl just like SOE wanted. Oh joy.
    • Up x 6
  2. FaLI3N

Sure it's relevant :p I get bored of the tank game frequently and use ESF to roadkill or hunt tanks with flash etc. I am more of a well-rounded player :cool:
  3. Klypto

I believe the opposite.

Having skilled tankers switch from AV to AI loadouts will hurt the game. Whenever I use HE, people ragequit way more often compared to any other way I play. I know this because Recursion tells me when someone I kill quits the game within a minute or two of me killing them (and I'm the last one to kill them). So in a way Scr1nrusher is right it does hurt the game.

I use AP because it's fun but comes at much less of an expense to other players. The only reason I have #2 with HE kills now is because hardly anyone pulls Titan-150 HE to compete with my records (LotP just passed me up last week). With the buff to HE with will change though.

Also, velocity for HE is meaningless vs Infantry because splash. The only reason I found it interesting is for the accuracy at range (vs vehicles).
    • Up x 4
  4. LT_Latency

One person doesn't matter in a battle of 600 people. That do things to affect the way most people play. Not what Klypto is doing today.

Just because you currently use AV right now, Doesn't mean another player just as good as you is not using AI instead.
  5. iller

While that makes perfect sense for Rocket Launchers .... I think it would actually make Dalton even BETTER against ESF's & infantry. o_O
    • Up x 1
  6. Munq

Nothing will change if they dont change their health and survivabily. They will be just as useless as ever.
  7. Klypto

If the projectile left the barrel at 175m/s and then sped up to 275m/s after 100 meters, it would be difficult to hit targets extremely close to the lib. The other option is adding insanity gravity. It's supposed to hit the ground hard anyways.

The Lib being to high up wasn't really a problem since infantry don't render at that distance and vehicles can dodge the Daltons while the Shredder spread is too wide at that height to matter much beyond being a light bother.
    • Up x 2
  8. Pathogenic

I agree that this is a good direction for the game, but it does not include all the changes that need to be made.

Three big things will help fix it:
    (1) C4 being made to only apply within close range, a la an ammo pack.
    (2) The resource revamp.
    (3) Giving rockets a resource cost and tweaks required for that.

This makes the resource battle a resource battle for everyone involved (resource revamp means no stocking 40 of everything in your downtime, rocket cost means using rockets will require more thought and care) and eliminates the incredibly cheesy part of C4.

I won't speak any more on tank balance since I'm primarily an infantry player. The changes I suggested are just pretty obvious from an Infantry v Tank perspective.

A resource cost for rockets also would help with the rocket primary nonsense being perpetuated by resourceless rockets and ammo packs resupplying them.
    • Up x 1
  9. Fenrisk

Good thing for Libs
    Good Thing for Phoenix spamming NC
    Good Thing for Anti-Vehicle mana turrets.

Bad for the rest of the game.
    • Up x 6
  10. LT_Latency

As long as tank rounds cost Vehicle Resourses too.

Both these things got nerfed or are getting nerfed soon.
  11. Scr1nRusher

thats not needed.
  12. Pathogenic

A change to rockets is definitely needed. My most played class is HA, and I'm saying this.

I don't mean super high costs, but it should at least cost a third of the resources to remove something. Especially considering the resource revamp will put a constant drain on vehicle users (or resource cap reduction while in one, can't remember the exact way they're doing it, but tomayto/tomahto.)

Edit: I wouldn't mind AI rocket options with no cost, since rocket primary is more of a small fight meh than anything. But if it's intended to combat resource driven equipment, it should either be relatively weak or balanced by risk and cost.

As I said above: In the Revamp, vehicles come with a constant drain on resources per SOE. Equates to the same thing, basically.
    • Up x 3
  13. Scr1nRusher

they are fine.

"rocket primary" was/is a false problem, but I'm not getting into that huge fiasco again.

Also As I said before rockets are fine, Also FOCUS ON THE MAIN TOPIC RATHER THEN PUSHING YOUR AGENDA. lol
  14. vanu123

The magrider already had the slowest velocity, now that you are forcing tanks in close you will negate the last advantage the magrider has which is strafing. The other tanks will get stabilization, more maneuverability, etc. What exactly will the magrider get?
    Besides magriders were designed so that they only run over friendlies.
    If you want to improve tank combat: TAKE DOWN THE WALLS!
    Also SOE needs to make a choice, either make tanks weaker and drop the resource cost, or make them A LOT stronger and keep the resource cost the same. Right now they have the resource cost of an extreme luxury, yet they are flimsy and made out of paper mache except the Van shield.
    • Up x 1
  15. vanu123

^this^ 100% agree from a fellow tanker with nearly 150 hours in a magrider.
    • Up x 4
  16. NinjaTurtle

A big reason why tanks snipe is because vehicles in this game are made from wet paper and infantry AV weapons are too efficient at their job, rolling up to a base is suicidal
    • Up x 4
  17. \m/SLAYER\m/

it's tank's destiny, destroy sunderer and 1-2 tanks before someone will blow you up...
  18. LT_Latency

Still doesn't make sense. A tank can always damage an infantry unit. An infantry unit can't damage a tank without rockets.

So if they infantry unit becomes defenseless so can the tank
  19. Pathogenic

I was responding to your reply to me, which focused on that portion. So, quit being a hypocrite.

The rest of what you said is "I'm right; you're wrong." So like you said, just get pack to the point on hand.

I'd be okay with it, honestly. I hate the lack of logistics and would love it if people had to be smart about every press of the trigger. More logistics would also move the pace of the game to flurries of intense action instead of flurries of meatgrinding until someone hits the spawnroom. I'd like that, but they seem pretty committed to constant action.

I just try to keep any suggestions I make moderate, if possible. Sweeping changes are less likely to be implemented due to effort required or fear of change.
  20. gnometheft

I see a lot of valid concern about the power of ranged infantry AV weapons hitting tanks before they can get close. If the MBT's are too weak, and the maneuverability, stabilization and HE changes weren't enough to keep them alive at closer ranges, than I would suggest a tweak to either MBT resistance towards those long range AI weapons, or a straight DPS reduction to them.

However I believe the gameplay that might arise from stabilization and trying to bring tanks in closer would be worth the velocity changes, and those minor tweaks can be done after a few weeks of live testing.

Without live testing I am unconvinced that the MBT changes will make MBT's as weak as forumside is claiming at closer ranges. It is very common in planet-side for tanks to get in close ranges of bases as it is without the buffs to stabilization, maneuverability, and HE. With these changes I only see the survivability increasing.

If the change is a moderate drop in effectiveness at range traded for a bit more close quarters durability, I think that is a positive change for planetside and the combined arms game style.