Is the '' HA pros '' did convice Higby to give up on the change ?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Stew360, May 26, 2014.

1. Cinnamon

I like the people saying that people should git gud and stop complaining about HA shield. If you play a lot of HA and don't recognise the times when the shield saved your sorry behinds from losing to another player with superior aim and reactions then you are probably not as good as you think you are.

The HA shield change they put forward was very ham fisted though and would have forced a large part of the player based to relearn how to play for no really great reason and would have been extremely annoying. The people who say that max suits and vehicles are still the much larger problem for feeling that infantry combat is fair also have a very good point. I also feel that HA shield feels especially unfair for newer players since coming into the game you expect infantry v infantry to feel somewhat balanced and not as lop sided as it is. HA shield lacks something in downsides or pure infantry counters in this situation.

I can think of some changes that I feel might make it feel more "fair" without messing up gameplay as much.

1. Have knife damage ignore shields.
    2. Give soft point ammo extra benefits against HA shields.
    3. Give some classes abilities that counter HA shields. One thing that I think would be cool would be to give light assaults a device that reduces the effectiveness of shields within 10m of them.
    4. Add a "fatigue" state after shield deactivation that extends the slower movement speed for a short while after the shield is deactivated.
    • Up x 1
  2. jaktrobot

Me and many other will prolly stop playing this game if they nerf the ha shield, its fine as it is atm, no need to touch it.

If they nerf it everyone will play medics, their self heal is like a shield, they got better weps and can carry c4.

We will see 1 billion maxes cause no one is gone play heavy and then the whine will start about maxes, and then maxes will be nerfed, and then ppl will complain about smg cloakers and the whine will never end.
    • Up x 1
  3. NCstandsforNukaCola

Played NC engy with flak 4 and Razor GD23 last week
    Almost as an infantry, No problem against HAs.
  4. Bl4ckVoid

Hmm, like a jetpack which allows flanking?

If they have to nerf, then reduce the shield HP by a bit.

If the shield will have to be pre-activated with a delay, then all heavies will have to relearn shield use. Some shield types will become obsolete without further changes.

If this happens I really will just give up on PS2. I am dedicated VS player and I do not like the other classes on the VS side, because almost all VS weapons have a 30 round clip. I am not going to play a class that has no ammo. Period. The only option is NS equipment, meh.
    • Up x 1
  5. jaktrobot

Yeah 30 rounds suck everyone will play tr medics if this goes tru.
  6. Cinnamon

Eh. HA already have rocket launcher and pistol so why do they also need an LMG? Not really a great argument.
  7. Gnomemercy

Problem is people who play HA will see a drop in their precious KD without the crutch of a shield, and this is why they are so against any change to it. If they just fixed the knife bug it would be fine, tired of stabbing a HA 2-3 times and none of them registering.
  8. Posse

If the shield saved me from someone with superior aim, then it's because he didn't flank me, simple as that, and if you're playing LA/Infil and you're not flanking, you're playing it wrong, aim is not everything in this game, situational awareness and positioning are as important. If he did flank me and he had better aim than me, I'd be dead before I could react, period.
    • Up x 2
  9. Cinnamon

If you are standing still and not really paying attention then I guess but you make the situations sound a lot more cut and dried than they are. In the end it is a lot better to be HA running around and flanking than to be a LA being outnumbered and not sure of their flanks.
  10. vsae

Oh really? Come on, player with superior aim? What a nonsence.
    If any superior aim player would attack me from the side, not mentioning the rear, I would be totally dead the moment I turn to face him, regardless of whether I used shield or not, because multiple headshots on unaware target means dead.
    What you were saying, that shield actually helped survive encounter with the ambusher was totally not like that. I know those situations all too well, and the only reason that HA with shield survive such encounter is because he crouched or moved in unpredictable way to throw off enemy's aim and the flanking person didnt even stop firing, making his cone of fire large enough to miss lots of shots, you know just in hopes to finish off.
    But yeah, shield is totally the reason. Nerf it.
  11. hostilechild

Then your a horrible shot. It already takes ping+serverlag+reaction time to pop the shield thats much longer than 2 headshots.
    Even front on i have died before the cloaker i saw decloaked and i average 110ms ping.

If HA is nerfed you will see way more medics. I already kill way faster as Medic, gun is so freaking accurate, headshots are easy and ignore nano & overshield. So if your having trouble with HA and there slow *** ttk lmgs as a medic learn to aim (stew) Revive grenades are the true OP
  12. Cinnamon

Not really sure what you are saying. If HA shield offers so little benefit then why not remove it's defence against infantry weapons completely and give HA some sort of useful ability like a slow self heal that doesn't use resources?
  13. Casterbridge

I don't think anyone is saying they don't lose to a HA ever. Most of us just don't see the big deal. I used to primarily play HA, now I've started playing a lot more engineer (and just to be clear that's not driving or gunning, that's still infantry combat) and honestly as I said earlier I got no complaints. Do I lose to a HA that gets his shield up? Sure but not always, I also kill numerous HAs with my bandit real quick, I kill several at a time using my sticky grenades in clever uses, heck I even use tank mines and stickies to drop HA and max units.

As for your list:
    1) I actually could get behind this one, it does make a certain amount of sense, especially against Adrenaline and NMG, resist shield may need to be the exception though not sure.
    2) I really don't see the need for it, guess it would depend exactly on the values and how it was done.
    3) Both infiltrators and LA can flank HA and get the drop on them which is a huge advantage, EMP grenades will disable shields. Those are direct counters. Medics have their regen which admittedly isn't as good as the overshield, but it also doesn't suck, tack on the fact that ARs are, generally, more accurate than HA LMGs and HA ARs, and medics are far from helpless. Engineers would seem like the worst off, and as I said honestly I got no complaints between my carbine, and clever use of my stickies and mines, heck I even use my turret from time to time to distract people from where I'm actually firing from.
    4) Yeah that's going from "let's try to balance the HA" to flat out nerfing them to be easy pickings, movement in this game is huge and to make a HA stay slowed without the shield will in most situations result in death.
  14. Cinnamon

3. HA can also flank. The class has the same access to the mysterious w key technology.

4. Yes it would be a downside that could lead to death. Both inf and la have downsides to their ability. Inf can be spotted when cloaked by eye and has less health and lower capability auto weapons. LA is a sitting duck if caught in the air and the ability leads to them being more visible.
  15. vsae

I meant to say that HA shield is nothing compared to competent player's behavior, but it is often mistaken for the shield to be the sole reason of their success. Obviously it is so, because you can see enemy using shield, but you cannot see his skills or his thoughts. This is just common behavior, not digging the problem and only seeing the cap of it.
    I mean, lets make Posse face you with LA while you're with your best HA loadout, you will lose badly not matter the shield.
    • Up x 1
  16. Posse

Well, that depends, if I'm playing with the VX6-7, there's a sweetspot where, even in a heads-on, I'd probably win (ranges at which I can hipfire while strafing and he has to ADS), in any other range, if he can aim, I'd lose. But well, that's assuming he can force the heads-on, which depends both on his situational awareness and positioning, and mine.
    • Up x 1
  17. Cinnamon

I doubt he would want to challenge me 1v1 over this it seems a bit pointless.

But if there was a 1v1 tournament with the best players where half were LA and half were HA you would really expect an even split between LA and HA in the finals?
  18. Bine

I don't understand the hate for the heavy assault and their shield. Their only roles are taking damage and dishing it out. Light assaults are great mobility troops. Positioning is a heavy factor in any fight and the light assault is king of it. Secondarily, infiltrators are great for positioning too.

This is all like complaining that its unfair an engineer can set a turret up in a hallway and destroy anything that enters it... >.>

Do note, i am a biased person wanting heavies to be best for head on confrontations. Class diversity is nice.
  19. Copasetic

There was something bothering me about this Stew post, I couldn't put my finger on it. But now I got it. He wrote " HA pros " instead of ( HA pros ) :eek:
  20. jiggu

This.
    The overshield will never magically save you, it can be used to advantage by playing it when you need to survive two more bullets and don't need the mobility. Just popping it whenever you are attacked will not stop your inevitable doom. You must play it as an advantage just as you do with stealth or jetpacks.