Rocket Launcher Primary needs to go

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Clay, May 12, 2014.

1. Waffle Fartsparkle

Usually I'll RP someone when I'm on the way to blow up a tank and someone happens to notice me first.

I don't believe a dumbfire slow-moving rocket hitting someone directly to get an OHKO is overpowered in the slightest.

A lot of it is luck, some of it is skill, or lack of by the enemy.

There's high risk involved for several reasons. In order for it to be effective, you have to hit your mark directly. If your target has even two ranks of Flak armor equipped, it won't kill, (Target will be left with 92 health) and if a heavy pops their NMG/AS with even a small amount of health and full shields, it won't kill. Then you have to wait through a 5.2 second reload before you can fire again.

The only real nerfs I would give the RL's are movement related. .75 movement speed while the launcher is in your hands, .25 movement speed while ADS. You should be still while aiming a rocket launcher anyway, so it makes sense.
    • Up x 1
  2. Jachim

Stop trying to inject RL logic into a video game. If that were the case the phoenix would still 1-shot and other sillyness in this game wouldn't exist (like C4 blowing up a tank. Try that on an Abrams and see how well it works.)
  3. Hicksimus

Another issue immediately solved by turning up time to kill.
    But why do something simple when you're just trying to copy Call of Dutyfield.
  4. bonkfire

Very well.

Here is the no logic answer; Get good.
    • Up x 3
  5. Iridar51

You and I have a very different on what and why happens in the game, and that's about as polite as I'm gonna get with you.
    I'm not defending anything, learn to read.
  6. Idle

I m ok with people looking down in game at people who use it. If you want to be respected as a top player on your server then using RP's a lot will damage that.

I just don't think the game needs it to be nerfed. I have found in my outfit that most people in it calling for it to be nerfed have used the same tactic.

Not 1 of our best players, I ve never seen him use it. He doesn't call for a nerf just thinks its a cheesy move and guess what? He doesn't use it. Most people who complain when it is used on them have used it many times themselves.

If I hear a max and pull out RL and turn corner and run into a infantry player I fire. If I m shooting at a tank over a ridge and a infantry comes over the ridge, I fire. If I m destroying a hacked terminal and I get attacked, I turn and fire. A point has a turret up on stairs before it with a couple of infantry floating behind it I throw a nade launch a rocket duck back switch weapons then try and breach.

In my opinion its not a game breaking weapon. It just annoys good players who know they could beat the player who just RP'd them. Just like good dogfighting flyers hate A2A missiles. Both groups of players only want to be killed when outplayed.

In planetside wreckage can fall from the sky and kill you, drop pods can. Lots of things can kill you that have nothing to do with run and gun skill.
  7. Jachim

Love that the pro OHK crowd has no argument for their ridiculousness only "l2p n00b". do we really want their ilk?
    • Up x 1
  8. Drippyskippy

I guess you have never fought against CML on Matherson. Some of their highest BR (100 -90) players only play heavy and use rockets as a primary weapon a lot of the time. High BR's DO use it because they realize how easy it is to get kills with it.

This is pure conjecture. I know that rockets needs nerfed against infantry because it is easy non skilled way to get kills. I rarely ever get infantry kills with my rocket launcher. Usually when I do its because i'm shooting at a MAX or tank. Explain to me why I should get kills on infantry players when i'm shooting at a MAX or a tank? Why should a player be rewarded for getting kills on players he isn't even shooting at?

These are all perfect examples of using rocket launchers in an "Oh $hit" moment. These are not examples of a player using a rocket launcher as a primary weapon. The discussion is about people who use it as a primary weapon. The people who walk around with it on their shoulder instead of their LMG. The people who continually use it to shoot into doorways or camp doorways with it. Which brings me to another point. When your caught in an "Oh $hit" moment why should you still have an advantage on the other infantry player coming at you by having the ability to one shot them? That would be like running into me when i'm reloading and because i'm reloading I can shoot laser beams from my eyes that one shot infantry players....Sounds ridiculous doesn't it? Instead I have to switch to my pistol which gives me an inherent disadvantage against the other player.

Exactly!!! Why should a player be rewarded for killing you through the use of non skilled cheesy weapons? It undermines skill in this game, which is very bad, especially if SoE is trying to make this a competitive game. You helped me prove a point.
  9. Zorro

I agree, it is a problem. However, the solution is not to simply nerf the damage so any infantry can absorb a whole rocket, which would be ridiculous.

The solution is drawbacks such as resource cost (which would have ended grenade spam before it became a problem), as well as less maneuverability. It makes no sense that one can maneuver as quickly around a corner with a rocket launcher as with a pistol. Finally, firing should either inflict a massive amount of recoil (even inflicting a mild amount of concussion) or, if recoilless, have backblast that can damage the user indoors and hurt friendly infantry.
  10. Dieter Perras

Flak armor does not effect direct damage! although it really should...
  11. D3GGEY

Yes, it does.
  12. Ghenko

You could have fired off probably 2 or 3 full magazines of ammo with just about any other full auto weapon in the time it takes to fire one rocket, reload, and fire another. How many enemies could you have killed with those magazines? Plus you can't carry all that many rockets. In most situations there is a better option.

I don't really see it being more effective than other weap types, and I don't get killed by RL's all that often. I fail to see a problem.

C4 is much more cheesy IMO.
  13. LIKE A BOSS!

But sadly a decimator can still OHK a person with full certed flak.
    • Up x 1
  14. Waffle Fartsparkle

If my math is correct, the Decimator deals 1335 damage. Against someone in full flak, it should only deal a maximum of 667.5 damage.
  15. NyaR

Get better.
    • Up x 1
  16. LIKE A BOSS!

Actually it still does. Add in the splash. And sometimes it bugs out.
  17. AdamPA1006

I can't believe the babies in this thread. USE FLAK ARMOR Rocket launchers are a very, very, very small percentage of INF kills, probably lower than sidearms. They aren't OP, they arent abused, and if your tired of a certain guy killing you with it, again USE FLAK ARMOR
    • Up x 1
  18. Dieter Perras

exactly why I don't think that flak protects against direct strikes. Although maybe someone with access to the game files would know for sure.
  19. Admiralty

I'm fine with the mid-longer range skill shots with the RL but the shotgun-range use of it especially in Biolabs is too cheesy and requires little to no aim on the part of the user.
  20. Inex

Careful, somebody might try using that logic to justify the OHK rifle suggestions that pop up in the Inf forums every once in a while.