Rocket Launcher Primary needs to go

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Clay, May 12, 2014.

1. Clay

I killed him, he came back with rocket launcher equipped and shooted me in the face. And no there was no max around. When they cant do it with normal weapons they have to use this thing. What can you do against that? Cant you tweak the numbers a little so this is not possible anymore? Like you have a little health left to at least react. Ive seen whole squads rushing a point with 3-4 Heavies with Launchers in the front. Get rid of that! They are anti Max/Armor and not ment to be long range instakill shotguns.

[IMG]
    • Up x 11
  2. Nody

All AV weapons (HA/Engy Rockets, tanks, AV 'nade, AV MAXes, Pods, Noseguns (ESF and Lib) etc.) should have their AI damage greatly reduced (50% or more) across the board, HEAT style should have it somewhat reduced (around 30%), to add back some specialization into the game and make it worth to consider running AI guns.
    • Up x 4
  3. hostilechild

Wear flak5, its "suppose" to mitigate even direct hits now. Yet to see it work though.

There is so much explosion spam anymore, i would wear my flak5 more if i thought it actually worked. Flak should also mitigate shotgun damage. Make it more useful so people actually wear it.

On the flip side, if a rocket primary misses he is dead due to reload or even weapon switch time. He will also get just that 1 kill as the rest of the people in the area can kill him before reload/weapon switch. It pretty much is an all or nothing tactic. Albeit one helluva great tactic to clear camped rooms, corridors (towers stairs) etc. Where you know the enemy is clustered AND/or stationary.
  4. Lord_Avatar

Sheesh... What's wrong with you people? (or is it me...) Anyone waltzing around with his RL drawn in a CQC fight is asking to get riddled with bullets. Unless the Heavy scores a direct hit he is toast. Besides, the description of default dumbfire launchers clearly states that they are effective against armor *and* infantry alike.
    • Up x 36
  5. Clay

This would be funny if I would actually have a precious K/D.

It happened several times to me today. It was like the third time I got mad about it and posted it on the forumside.
  6. Iridar51

Two words: flak armor.

You have a perfectly valid in game option of countering the thing that bothers you. You remind me of tankers whining about being blown up by C4 instead of just using proximity radar.
    • Up x 2
  7. gigastar

Im just sick of people running around with theese things out as if expecting a MAX around every corner.

Granted, the MAX around the corner is usually me, but that doesnt make it any less annoying.
    • Up x 2
  8. IamDH

I still think that RL'ing is Risk vs Reward
    • Up x 15
  9. Clay

This seem to be an interesting idea, but I think major changes like that will most likely not happen. A2G Weapons should always damage infantry though because you have to deal with lock ons and that stuff.
  10. Clay

Playing Planetside in general is risk vs reward. What matters is the percentage between risk and reward. And this is bad for RL.
  11. SharpeShooter

are you really saying that seeing heavies running around with rocket launchers as their primary is rare? If you are then you play a different game than me!

Rocket launchers should not one hit kill infantry! op is 100% correct.
    • Up x 5
  12. Copasetic

I think it's more annoying when someone is blindly lobbing rockets from 50m away hoping to get a lucky kill. In CQC it's no different than being gibbed by a shotgun.

Still it's not the end of the world. I can think of a dozen other things I'd rather see changed first.
  13. TheFamilyGhost

I think its sad that people come onto the forums every time they get killed by something. It is so odd..."I died, therefore that weapon must be nerfed!" What goes through their head while they're writing their diatribe? What do they expect the outcome to be? Why can't they look at what happened objectively and try to figure out how to paly so that it isn't the huge issue they make it out to be? Do they ever look back on it and feel even a bit embarrassed?

You got killed. Get over it, and get on with the game.
    • Up x 11
  14. Vikingo

It is acctually very common to see low battleranks using the rocket launcher for cheap kills.
    However it doesnt bother me much, they are new to the game and obviously have trouble getting kills the "conventional" way.
    • Up x 2
  15. Corporate Thug

When ever I get hit by a RL used as a primary it's usually my fault. I will see the guy with his RL equipped and take the chance of trying to kill him by ADS'ing or whatever. Most of the time I hip fire them a little bit and try to get them to fire at me while I'm strafing, the majority of the time they miss and then I ADS their face. At range you usually have enough warning to evade the rockets. I also wouldn't use flak armor because most vehicles are easy to avoid if you're very attentive and anti personnel mines are just too easy to see.

BTW, you got 8 kills in 1 minute and none of them were headshots so it seems like it was a longer ranged engagement? If so then you should have anticipated it more, really you should have regardless of the range. Play your opponent, if they ADS up close, then you strafe around them, if they have a RL primary then you hip fire them while moving unpredictably.
    • Up x 7
  16. IamDH

Not exactly sure what you mean by that first sentence. If you miss the rocket, you're dead

Taking into consideration that the average PS2 player will probably miss, i'd say the risk vs reward is in a good spot. The only time where it isn't risk vs reward is when your at point blank (literally touching) in which you could easily knife instead or trying to move around a bit. I rarely get killed by RLs and its not because im some sort of MLG player
    • Up x 4
  17. Clay

It was not long rage, it was very close range so I just hipfired the pulsar most of the time hehe. Its CoF is to extreme to score headshots with hipfiring that thing. The RL Heavy came around a corner and shotted before I could fire one single shot at him. Flak Armor is not really an option for heavy with adrenaline shield. But thanks for the answer I will try to do that the next time.
  18. Mustarde

I'm with you OP. HA's already have a good anti infantry weapon - the LMG. Their rockets are supposed to be for maxes and vehicles... Not for cheesing infantry kills.

For those who think it's risky to be a rocket primary... You must not know what it is like to live the true RP lifestyle.

• Up x 9
  19. Gundem

Lo and behold, Flak armor does just that.

Every AV weapon and every AI weapon in the game needs it's AI buffed. I'm sick and tired of Infantryside.
    • Up x 3
  20. Clay

I ment that Weapon Design in Planetside is like that. A Weapon with high reward (pump action shotgun, lolpods, HE Tank) usually has high risk (fails at long range, ESF goes down fast, gets wrecked by any other tank). If you want to have the possibility to one shot kill someone there should be a risk. Maybe the rocket launcher is in a good spot and I just got mad about it. But it is cheesy, and noobish.