The TRAP-M1 is a Disgusting addition to TR.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TheRunDown, Feb 21, 2014.

1. NinjaTurtle

Thank you for proving an assault rifle on Infiltrators is good when used properly.

Think I will redirect anyone complaining the TRAP is bad to this video :p

The TRAP would have been perfect for me as I prefer the auto Scout rifles over the SMG's and for my style this would have been a straight upgrade for how I like to play.

Damn your Republic scientists :mad:

Oh and good music choice for the first half
    • Up x 1
  2. Dragonblood

Well, The Trap feels that 3m-40m niche. It feels nice to shoot things at lowish mid range and still being able to enter a building
  3. Epic High Five

Some testing showed the 3-round burst to have worse grouping even among the first two rounds, whereas the 2-round burst put both rounds in pretty much the exact same spot every time. What was your experience between the two modes Mustarde?

He's a fun one to have kill competitions with. He's currently my most killed by and I've just about tied him up in killings. Whenever I get impatient or overextend to duck behind a rock to /yell or /tell, there is Mustarde to make me pay :(

Also the TR whine to come and already here is magnificent. The TRAP is a fantastic weapon, furthering the TR's stranglehold on all of the best burst guns in the game :mad:
    • Up x 2
  4. Shinrah

I preferred the 2x shot burst. When firing the 3x shot burst I constantly saw at least one or often 2 shots missing due to the kick of the weapon. This is less an issue for short range but for medium range I already felt like I was wasting too many bullets that way.

Nevertheless its a great DMR imho. A sniper not so much, but for an Infiltrator this seems like a rather versatile weapon.
  5. Mustarde

Definitely more accurate with 2x bursting, however if you run around with the 2x, you WILL get killed in straight up fights. What I mean is, inevitably someone will enter your 20m radius, and if you have the 2x mode on, that HA will pop shield and eat you for lunch. I prefer to run around with the 3x as you see in the video, and switch to a 2x IF the range dictates. There were several scenes I cut from the video that showed more 2x bursting... but yeah basically I run 3x default and go to 2x for that 40-80m zone.

When I first got the weapon I was using the 2x burst mode, and kept dying over and over and had a 2.0 KD with it. It was very frustrating and I realized that even if I was bursting the head, I would often die to people even if I got the jump on them. That's when I tried the 3x and realized that the weapon is a better aggressive close-mid scout rifle.

The thing about 2x bursting, is you basically become a worse version of the Vandal or HSR-1/Nyx/Shadow. It's nice to have the versatility to do it, but 3x is where the TRAP shines IMO.
    • Up x 1
  6. Mustarde

6. I'm not proving anything. I have been eagerly awaiting new toys for the infiltrator, and since the update I have made a video featuring each one (Vandal is next). Every time I do it, some people see a side of gameplay that they didn't see before and realize the potential of each weapon. And I don't think the weapon is excellent. But it is FUN.
    8. I'm not a pro. Just someone who cuts out all their failures and only shows videos of me doing well with a good soundtrack :)
    9. I knife a lot. I will knife someone after I hit them with a few SMG rounds. Almost 7000 knife kills. It's a reflex.

The SOAS-20 is more reliable, but the TRAP has a bit more range and is a fun weapon to play with. I think the suppressor is one of the best things about it - so quiet! Versatility is where the TRAP shines. It's a worse semi auto than the Vandal/HSR-1 and a worse scout rifle than the SOAS. I still had fun using it, and might spend a little more time with it now and then.

It works great on Amerish with all the little nuances in each base. It was harder to use on Indar where you often had to get right up in front of a firing line to find targets.
    • Up x 1
  7. IamDH

Only in your dreams and even then he will be standing behind you with a sniper looking at your sleeping corpse
    • Up x 2
  8. NinjaTurtle

1) And that is bad why? Why should there not be higher skilled weapons in the game which is what you are claiming this to be

6) And some people are trying so hard to prove a weapon is bad when it's not. Maybe Higby was wrong about the VS. Maybe what he meant was "The TR will only use a weapon if it OP"

9) It is common to use a knife in CQC to finish an opponent off

The TR have been given an Assault rifle on their Infiltrators, you get a new play style and more variation yet you complain. If you don't like the weapon then stick to SMG, sniper or scout rifles but this weapon strengthens the TR arsenal
    • Up x 1
  9. Devrailis

It's good to have long-term goals in life.
    • Up x 8
  10. Mustarde

I actually think SOE did a pretty good job with the ES sniper rifles. Give it some time and if there needs to be tweaks, it can be done. Look at all the little changes made to the other infil weapons over time. But as it stands, it helps to differentiate the factions and makes infiltrator more than a homogeneous class with reskinned identical weapons. Because of all the classes in the game, infiltrator was the one that had the least variety. In fact, outside of VS semi-auto's not having bullet drop (and thus having lower velocity), and the SMG/pistols, infiltrator weapons and abilities are completely identical. I'm glad things are a little different now.

Haven't you gotten me yet? Don't worry your time will come - I die an awful lot :)
    • Up x 2
  11. Fox234

I have to agree with Kunavi. Its not good. $7 or 1k certs is a lot for a gun that is ineffective, but fun is a lot. You're better off buying that fresh meat pack or whatever off the PS2 site for $2 and using the PDW.
  12. Devrailis

My thoughts exactly. I was quite disappointed with NC's crying over the Railjack. It's a real joy to fire and the delay mechanic adds some variety to how I handle a BASR.

I think the unspoken problem people have is that the firing mechanics of the rifle are misleading, the gunshot noise and the firing 'kick' happen when you press the trigger, not when the bullet leaves, which definitely threw me off when I first started using it. I have a feeling that was causing many people to write the gun off without them even realizing it. Adjusting that alone would go a long way in helping people get used to the weapon.

The biggest real issue with the Railjack is how ugly our x12 scope looks on it. It's like seeing a beautiful woman dressed up in a teletubby suit. :(

Pfft, seeing you farm in that tower brought back flashbacks.

Traumatic flashbacks.
    • Up x 3
  13. Aractain

The whole idea that the TR think they got screwed over comes from the fact they were expecting a sniper rifle. You know, long range bang weapon. They were given another short range bangbangbang weapon for short range which does short range bangs.

Its really bad for long range bang which is what they wanted so they got screwed - that's logic.

Meanwhile the VS complained their no drop infinite ammo combo multipass weapon has a charge up time o_O
  14. Bape

Im still trying to get use to the TRAP my biggest problem is CQC against HA everytime I go for the head shot they pop the shield. But Im glad im using it the right away same set up as mustarde only problem is I tend to run into CQC a lot and get murdered by HA.
  15. Mustarde

Can you believe after 1 year it's still that easy to tower farm? The only thing I've added to my play book is a lot more movement than the old days of camping a single spot
  16. Mustarde

HA's are a problem for all semi auto weapons - 1-2 more rounds to kill is no big deal for a carbine, but it's huge for the semi's. It's the one area the vandal struggled with for me as well.

They are the reason for my obsessive clinging to cover. If you watch the video, I'm almost always hugging rocks and just peeking out for kills. It's because if I see a heavy, odds are I will need to hide from them before bursting down
    • Up x 2
  17. TheRunDown

I saw TR who used this the day it came out..
    But since that day.. no TR uses this weapon.. On Miller anyway.. My TSAR is far superior at the ranges this weapon was created for.. Thanks Devs for another Bullet tossing weapon of uselessnesssssss
  18. Nyscha

The trap is just like the Phaseshift for VS...
    Only good on AFK targets.
  19. Devrailis

On a completely serious note, yeah, I can.

Mobility is life.

It's become second nature to you now - but I'd imagine that to many players attempting the same thing, movement is hard.

Really hard.

It's not easy knowing when and where to move for the average newbie. If you're not confident or experienced, if you don't know the terrain or building layout, solid tactical movement is a lot like taking a test you haven't prepared for, you're going to second guess yourself and hesitate at the worst possible moments. Then you get caught out in the open or around the wrong corner and *poof*, no epic killstreak for you.

I don't believe for a second the average player, or even an above average player, could rack up that sort of kill streak with the TRAP in a series of head to head firefights. Nearly every kill you pulled was from the side or the back, you out flanked and out played every single Vanu in that tower over the course of your kill streak. That's got nothing to do with the TRAP, that's all you, and if you had a pump action shotgun, or an SMG, or a scout rifle, you would have killed those players just as easily.

While the video is great demonstration of how effective the TRAP can be, I think the most valuable lesson a player can take from your video is how you position and move - that's going to translate into better performance for all weapons.

I also have a feeling that not one of those players paid attention to the kill feed. I eye that thing obsessively. I don't think people realize just what a valuable tool it is. I remember back in the bad ole days when you used to tower stomp on the Crown.

Seeing this:

Mustarde => Random NC Noob

Well... not even an infil can hide a kill streak like that.

But hey, if you don't look, you don't know.
    • Up x 1
  20. grazr

If the TRAP-M1 gets a range boost then NC MAX AI weapon should get a range boost too. Because you know, symmetrical balance and all.