AV MANA Turrets

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Alarox, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Alarox

Except they don't render for snipers either, and even the Railjack loses OHK potential at 400m.
  2. Robertooooo

Is it even possible to snipe people at 300 m+ distances?

Even more nice tank battles got destroyed yesterday by AV turrets. ''Oh i see, you were having a 3vs3 tank battle that looks like much fun. Let me just ruin that for you''.
    If they won't fix the range problem they can at least make them dumbfire like the MAX AV weapons so it becomes possible to dodge them at least. Right now they can just adjust the rocket midair so i might as well stand still since it would make no difference. I have never ever even seen a rocket miss anyone under 500 m, and rockets going from 700-800 m rarely miss either.
    • Up x 1
  3. RealityWarrior

This!

This is the real issue.
    • Up x 2
  4. shadowkhat

once you manage to pinpoint spot that av turret 900m out... (good luck with that btw) its as simple as hitting e twice to remove your spot. they have built in stealth.. they can be well within render range set up and shot and they don't show up like infantry/vehicles or anything when they fire. if your outside of 400m-450m or so takes more than one HEAT shot to even kill them. damage drop off ... the limited the phoenix to 300m with some BS excuse about hexes... but yet they've left the av turret out there totally broken... since its release. hell the last changes they did to it, improved the handling ... so basicly they have IMPROVED a broken weapon in the game. if i managed to get infantry render ranges to 400-500m and used a sniper rifle i would have allready been banned long ago for hacking/exploiting. yet with an av turret you can sit out 700-900m out with zero fear of death... if you have a group of turrets with you.. you can lay waste to any and every vehicle in range.
    • Up x 1
  5. RealityWarrior

Odd, when I fight them that never happens to me. There is a name change when the Engi is in them vs when they exit so it is easy to tell. Spots remove themselves after a few seconds. Personally, I constantly refresh to keep that from happening.

Odd I never survive a single Tank shell that isn't from a prowler. And ever those I rarely survive.

baaahhhhhh what? The only change they made was to decrease it's range from 1500m to 1000m. Not sure how that improved anything let alone it's handling.

Except they die constantly unless they get into a spot where no one is looking for them. At 700-900m it is not easy at all to hit a moving target, Let alone hit the same one 4-6 times before it runs to cover for a full repair. If your target is sitting still you are not laying waste to anything, you are being farmed for repair xp at that point or they are an idiot, or they are AFK. (There are a bunch of idiots)

With a group of anything you can lay waste to anything. Congrats you have figured out the game.

The people with the nerf agenda really should concentrate on getting a few things fixed instead of M.S.U.to try and reinforce their point. They do this because actually arguing facts doesn't sound as convincing. The rendering needs a pass. I admit I have seen a few times at extreme ranges you can see the rocket appear at LONG range yet not see nor spot the shooter. That needs fixed.[/quote]
    • Up x 1
  6. Ceskaz

I'm pretty sure there is no damage drop off with tank shell...

Problem with the phoenix is that once fired, player (considered as infantry) wrap inside the rocket, and it can't go too far from it's body (my guess is that 300 meters is the render distance of infantry and when a player don't render to you, the server don't send information about this player. So when you wrap in your phoenix rocket, if you were outside of this 300 meters bubble, server could not send information about your idle body, like getting shot at and dying; but it's just an hypothesis)
  7. Armchair

IMO, they really should give AV turrets the highest rendering priority so that they're the last thing culled from the screen. Invisible anything shooting at a target that can't fight back due to rendering conditions is stupid and is the sort of problem that should have been resolved months ago.

Although, in practice, I have my doubts how many AV turrets are actually "invisible" due to culling. A disconcertingly large percentage of tank drivers seem to have extreme cases of tunnel vision and almost no situational awareness. Given the amount of trouble many of them seem to have with mines and allowing infantry to close to melee range with C4, you'd think most of them are incapable of identifying targets smaller than a spawn room without dorrito assistance.
    • Up x 1
  8. Robertooooo

They should make them cost 100 inf resources at least and with a 5 min cooldown. Im so tired of engies launching rockets at me and immediatly abandon the turret. And when i destroy the turret they just spawn a new one and keep that up until my tank is destroyed.
    • Up x 1
  9. Ceskaz

I do agree that being able to spawn a turret without cooldown is a bit broken. And why not a cost (but small one).
  10. Robertooooo

Since it's far more powerful and more likely to generate certs and XP it should be more expensive to use than grenades and all that.
  11. MajiinBuu

If Higby uses an AV mana turret and has fun, you can give up all hope for a nerf.
    Higby=GOD!!!
  12. ncDieseL

The devs have said they are aware, and are working on potential solutions. These threads should be locked for now, nothing valuable ever comes out of them.
  13. Tenebrae Aeterna

Their solution has been proposed: HERE [ Will probably link you to my comment.]

I proposed a potential buff to the AV Mana Turret now that it's getting balance work done; I believe this mechanic is perfectly justified so long as things work out and they get the turret where it needs to be. :)

If you like the idea of being able to use these turrets as armor blockades, up-vote the idea.
    • Up x 1
  14. lNeBl

Barricades would only effect NC and TR tanks :p They should remove the auto spotting, and instead make spawning the turret have a 45 second cooldown, so you cant just spawn it, fire, jump off, recreate after its been destroyed, and repeat this process. TBH Everything about this turret is incredibly annoying.

It should have its laser guided aspect removed as well and simply be a lock on system like rocket launchers, or be dumb fired with increased velocity and damage.
    • Up x 1
  15. Tenebrae Aeterna

Nay, our tanks get caught on those damn knee high walls just as easily as anyone else. Truth be told, the width of our tanks makes traversing urban environments especially difficult...though the hovering mode makes it easier to get yourself unstuck when you are. We're fat and fabulous ladies in our tank...we might get stuck, but we get stuck gracefully. That said, while I agree with most regarding the turrets...I agree that the auto-spotting mechanic is going a bit too far.
  16. Armchair

That doesn't make any sense. Engineers get more certs from killing infantry with small arms fire,repairing teammates, and laying down ammo crates in the general vicinity of a large fight. Should my carbine/sidearm be costing me resources? Should my repair tool run on infantry resources? Should my resource pool be drained everytime someone grabs a spare magazine from my ammo kit?

Killing a vehicle with a rocket launcher/explosives/turret may net a single large prize of certs, but the bread-and-butter that provides the most cert income for engineers is NOT the AV turret.

If we were to compare the amount of XP you can expect to get from turrets/c4/mines compared to the XP you can get from a single tank in a good farm, then most tanks should be costing like 700 resources and stuff like c4 should be costing like 10.
  17. Robertooooo

That does make sense if you want to make losing turrets have some consequenses. And destroying vehicles gives a nice XP income easily, if you choose a good battle for it.
    I only use RL tough but i still earn about 30-50% of my XP from destroying vehicles and i imagine a weapon with the accuracy and range of AV turrets should be able to do the job better.

But i agree that i does not make sense right know. I was a bit angry about AV turrets yesterday :D
  18. Traveller

When I see tankers whining incessantly about how 'OP' MAV's supposedly are, I have to ask; What game are you playing? In the PS2 the rest of us play in, Running a MAV is high risk occupation. The tanks I come up against, seldom have any trouble locating and one-shotting me into next week. One shot-does not killing anything with a MAV(except maybe an ATV). Heavy tanks especially with strong frontal armor, easily shrug off even multiple MAV hits. Of course MAVS are good in numbers. So are FRIGGEN tanks, and planes...and infantry...and snipers....and so on.

The MAV is basically a one-shot wonder. Yes, they are useful enough in numbers, but thats stating the obvious isnt it? I cant tell you how many times Ive been One-shotted by a Tank even before my projective reaches target. I was in a tank just today, running the vulcan, and we easily wiped out a entire squad of infantry, a sunderer, and a Harasser and took care of a lightening that came to assist. Now we did hit them from the back, and they were clearly not remotely ready for that. So, are tanks OP? You sure as hell wont see MAV, even a team,doing anywhere near that damage that fast and so thoroughly. Its takes a lot of coordination to guide missiles, especially over distance. Tanks, and railgun bunnys, home in on you just as quickly as any skilled MAV operator can. With a MAV out, I die almost exclusively to Snipers and Tanks. Seldom to any other class.

Mav Operators have:
    -No shield
    -Easy to spot
    -Massive long cool-down. Even with Certs
    -Have to keep manual lock on target
    -Limited firing arc
    -Zero mobility-a sniper, at least, can cloak, shoot and scoot. A MAV LOL!

I remember some fool suggested the 'best' way to run a MAV vs armor was to outflank them. LOL! Good luck with that plan.

Even a single tank can do great damage if handled properly. A single MAV usually gets pounded into the ground-and quickly too.
    • Up x 1
  19. Tenebrae Aeterna

In the game I play, MAV operators don't render.

This is the problem. The range is too far, which means that you can't be sniped; you also no longer render when you detach from the MAV itself. Sure, if you're within 300m and don't actually leave your turret...the entire system is balanced very nicely. The majority of MAV operators, however, don't do this...instead you have projectiles coming from invisible sources. Not rendering while still being able to attack is far, far, better than our cloaking device...better than the Heavy Assault's shield...better than everything because you don't exist within the game for people to attack. :p

There's many problems with the MAV.
    • If you exceed 300m, you can't be sniped efficiently.
    • If you detach from your turret, you no longer render because you count as infantry.
    • If I shoot you in the head, the collision problems often register me as having hit the gun itself...
    That last one is truly a pain in the ***, I've shot at a Engineer who was within about 100m and it registered that I hit the gun despite my cross-hairs being directly upon his head; this got me killed. That's the game that everyone else is playing...

Keep in mind that there's been many changes done to try and solve this problem...so I might be wrong in the current issue, but ultimately it's all based around rendering problems with the extreme range. As far as I know, this is still the problem. In these situations...you're like an extremely overpowered sniper with a cloaking device that doesn't just make you invisible...but makes you no longer exist. You can fire off while no longer rendering for infantry...and often times tanks as well.

With that said, I don't really like the auto-spotting mechanic they have established. I suggested a buff to the MAV in terms of increasing the overall health and adding three knee-high walls while incorporating a double destruction system where you would have to destroy the turret first and then the nest of walls to completely annihilate the turret itself; basically it would make them armor barricades. If these walls were made from the same luminous energy that the MAI shield is...perhaps that would push them away from this auto-spotting idea. It's not preferable to the dark gray walls...but it's a thought and much better idea than this auto-spotting concept.

Keep in mind that it's not even the range of the MAV which makes it a problem, it's the rendering issues. If the MAV, and its Engineer, rendered as a vehicle no matter what...then you wouldn't have so many people who have an issue with it. Still, if this was the case...it would have to have the glowing walls or some sort of visual mechanic to make it easier to distinguish. Vehicles are huge...you can see them in the distance, the MAV...not so much.

...but yeah, the entire problem is the rendering.
  20. Moisture

Given SOEs history of massively over nerfing I doubt the range longer then 300 meters, Coupled with the auto spotting this weapon will be so hard to position properly its simply not going to be used.
    the harasser I can work around the nerfs but I see this as mostly insurmountable.
    It should be good enough for me to carry around so I can use it when the situation arises. When ever I come across a situation where a AV turret is practical I wont have it equipped anyways because ill be shoehorned into carrying the machinegun almost always.

But there is a reasonable chance they will reverse the auto spotting mechanic given the response to it. Im sure then didn't expect any real backlash at all.