AV MANA Turrets

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Alarox, Feb 17, 2014.

1. JettStarjammer

They should really fix the "not rendering/culling" issues BEFORE nerfing yet another weapon. They simply need to increase the infantry rendering/culling range. Nerfing yet another weapon is just a band-aid and does NOT fix the actual problem. Now something else like TANKS will become the next target of angry people shouting "OP! OP!" SOE is simply catering to the peasants with the pitchforks instead of fixing the castle.
    • Up x 4
  2. Killerdude8

This, So much this.

They may be nerfing a potentially balanced weapon by the fact that it not rendering is what may be making it OP.

Stat wise it isn't anything special, takes the same amount of Rockets to kill a tank as a Shoulder mounted launcher.
    • Up x 3
  3. Slumlord722

I split my time between HA and Engineer, and as an engineer I split time between tanking and slogging it on foot, and considering both perspectives it is my opinion that the Mana Turret does not need a nerf at this time.
    • Up x 1
  4. MajiinBuu

A while ago I somehow got an auraxium medal for the AV turret, even though the game doesn't seem to track its kills.
  5. z1967

I don't remember if this has been said before but why din't we just mount a less AI focused version of the Fury on a tripod and call that the redone AV turret? smoke trails, can only do so much damage etc. makes this weapon more logical for repelling armored units. And quite a bit easier to balance than a guided rocket.
    • Up x 1
  6. Inex

Oh, I don't think you need to worry about that.
  7. quatin

Infinite ammo + not rendered at range + laser guided precision. How does that not sound OP.

Take away one of the 3 and I think we can call the weapon good. Dumbfire turret? I don't even care if it doesn't render at range, because if an engineer snipes me with a dumbfire rocket from that fire he deserves it.
    • Up x 1
  8. Alarox

I'm tired of being trolled and cheesed by these things constantly. I can't wait for this nerf.
    • Up x 2
  9. JustARandomNobody

It is also extremely boring to fight against brainless vehicle spam. But I guess tanker fun is more valuable than infantry fun and air fun is more important than tanker fun right? You have to be extremely bad as a player already to not have the resources or cool downs to be in at least one at any given time. Hopefully the resource revamp makes it impossible to spam vehicles like you currently can so they aren't so over popped and gain some real value to them. Until then I am not in favor of any nerfs to any AV weapons as the game already has serious problems with vehicle overpopulation.
    • Up x 2
  10. FBVanu

On Connery, I don't see your vehicle problem. Every time there are lots of vehicles, it only takes a few minutes before a bunch Ueber-Libs show up and bomb the crapola out of us, or rocket / lock on spam comes flying from every nook and cranny..
    Once got my Prowler blown up in 3 seconds, from 4 guys with Phoenix and striker (whatever that darn devil's gun's name is).. there was no time to get away.. even fire suppression didn't do squat .. splat I went.

When you say there is a "problem" with vehicles, that just means you are not looking at the right way. Lots of vehicles means LOTS of roaming Certs.. begging, pleading and taunting to be shot at with any launcher, mine and C-4 that your team can muster..

and if you can't bring enough troops and air together to counter them, that just means that you lost that base, respawn somewhere else and get prepared.. you KNOW where they will go next.. you KNOW they have lots of vehicles.. get the turrets ready, set up the Mana, take aim and farm rolling certs.....

What you call a "brainless vehicle spam" is an organized (mostly) armored assault, against which you, according to your post, you either don't like to fight or feel overpowered by them. You need to look at the opportunity of a target rich environment, prepare your position and get enough support behind you.
    If you can't get that together, then you are fighting what's called a superior army, with superior fire power.. and you will lose the fight, as you should. Even though this is a game, some natural rules still apply. If you are outgunned by a superior force, with superior numbers and superior firepower, you will not survive.. unless you play some wizzard game..

Join an outfit, roll with squads, or just get near them and enjoy their support, get some 'battle patience' and then 'vehicle spam' will become your favorite group of targets.. Can't wait to find the next one.
    • Up x 1
  11. JustARandomNobody

Liberators are vehicles. They are part of the problem as well. The problem is that too many people are in vehicles. That is vehicle spam. Also, 20 random dudes spawning tanks because they have the resources isn't an organized armored assault. Its 20 random dudes spawning tanks because they can farm better with them. I was just a fight on indar that had over 35 friendly tanks camping a base. Just tanks. Not including lightnings, harassers, sundies, and aircraft. It wouldn't surprise me if 40% or more of the total number of friendlies were in a non transport vehicle position just farming certs and padding stats with no actual intention of capping the base.

PS: not a single vanu outfit I squaded with on Connery was more organized than 'everyone go here'. This is including many of the supposedly 'better' outfits. ;) Hence why Vanu typically did so poorly until they had a sizable pop advantage late at night. I stopped playing my connery VS char at BR 50+ because it felt like a waste of time given the quality of outfits available.
    • Up x 1
  12. Juunro

Vehicle spam isn't really a problem unless the defending force is badly outnumbered; if the most commonly played class (HA) didn't have always-on access to AT launchers and could easily use C4, you might have an argument there. With the way most of the bases have been rebuilt, with massive increases in cover and methods to get around underground and above, any tank that goes inside to try and get a farm going is likely doomed to a quick C4 related death.

Look, what it comes down to is this: An AV turret can do all of the following:
    -Fire from ranges so great that vehicle shields do not render, so they can hit vehicles behind cover.
    -Fire on targets from fully triple the range they would render to those targets

Neither of these is acceptable. It is the only thing in the game that cannot be countered by the things it is killing.
  13. Waffle Fartsparkle

You know what I learned to counter the AV Mana Turrets?

NC15 Phoenix. Holy crap.
    • Up x 1
  14. MarkAntony

True. when you are within 250m of them this rocket launcher owns AV mana turrets.

Still doesn't fix the fact that they can attack outside of render range though.
  15. Waffle Fartsparkle

Oh no, of course not.

I unlocked the Phoenix today. First time using it, I got a 16 kill streak against a squad of AV Mana turrets. After quite a bit of me just consistantly blasting their turrets, and them inside, they eventually sent an infiltrator after me.

But by that time, it was already too late. Our armor column moved on.
  16. Thefailknight

The problem is a LOT of pcs can NOT handle rendering more people further away. It'd give too massive an advantage to people that can drop 2k on a pc at will. I'd rather they just make Turrets render with Vehicle priority along with the engineer if they're manning them. Solves the issue WITHOUT melting the pcs of about 40-60% of the players.
  17. Gearlock

Yeah MBTs are totally worthless because of this, and that's why you never see them by the dozens at prime time at large battles.

Waaaaait a minute.....
  18. Grizzly886

So!
  19. Rikkit

you know, the AV turret is allready limited to 450m (rocket despawns at this point (don't know, in whic patch it was nerfed)) and in this range, it is somewhat ok.
    So the new comfort zone is between ~250 and 450m.
    A decent Tank, can fight back at this range, and the snipers are in mot cases near enough to OHK...
    I can still do some crazy farm rounds, but as soon a tank focus on me, i am in trouble. (not insta dead, just in trouble)

PS: if your ennemy deny you with an av turret, pull your own, and snipe the av turret.
  20. PastalavistaBB

Infantry can still kill tanks out of render range. I wonder how Infantry would fel if Tanks were able to shell them with HE Shells from 800 m and they had no chance to fight back.
    • Up x 1