Lower TTK

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by xDeGuerrex, Feb 24, 2014.

1. LT_Latency

The most popular FPS shooter back in the day was Counter Strike. TTK 1 to 2 shots bullets to the head.

All shooters today have a crazy long TTK by comparision
    • Up x 4
  2. Armchair

This.

Also, high TTK favors zerg mentality. You don't need skill when you can swamp the enemy in bodies and just overwhelm them.

The perfect example is charging a prepared machine gun.

In a low TTK game like Red Orchestra, a squad of players that charges a prepared MG quickly becomes a dead squad of players because charging headfirst into a prepared MG is a tremendously stupid thing to do.

In a High TTK game like planetside, a squad of players that charges an MG will kill the machinegunner every time. The machinegunner just can't kill a full squad of players faster than the squad can kill him. At best he might kill one or two members of the squad.
    • Up x 2
  3. Epic High Five

If you keep getting greased in CQC maybe you should be choosier about your engagement ranges.

While I can certainly make my favorite weapons (Reaper, X11, SAW, Razor, and similar) work well in CQC, they're far more fun being used in the 20-50m zone where the CQC cheese artists are just tickling me with SMGs and shotguns (though usually just running) as I mow them down.

The best CQC weapon in the knife, and regular usage of such is the real difference between great CQC kill streaking sons of ******* and people who get whacked instantly.
  4. Armchair

This. Many PC shooters had "short" ttk's and emphasized proper movement and use of cover almost as much as aiming skill. Games where 1-3 shots to center of mass were lethal and headshots from damn near everything are lethal.

IMO, the rise of console shooters and the Xbox generation led to a lengthening of TTKs. IMO, I find it hilarious that anyone could view PS2's TTK as short in any way shape or form. The much vaunted "200" damage weapons of the NC require MULTIPLE headshots to score a kill for crying out loud.
    • Up x 4
  5. Hoki

So this is a nanoweave nerf thread?
  6. Kallowe

As far as I'm aware this "changeover" never occurred Quake 3 was released the same year as Counter Strike; and Quake is widely used as the best example of a long TTK high skill cap game. In fact I think that Counter Strike was really the first game with such low TTK's. All that was a bit before my gaming 'career' though.
    • Up x 2
  7. smokemaker

I have a hard time accepting the LONG TTK's as is.
    The only thing left this game has going for it is number of potential victims.

Raise the TTK to some dumb as3 arena shooter, where we circle jerk each other off until someone dies due to a squirt gun, and i am done.
    Not that my leaving would effect anyone. But enough with the dumping down of FPS. Enough of this "counter play" bull ****.
    Your counter play should start when u spawn, not when u start to get shot at.
  8. Captain Kid

I had to quote this. This is how the game is for me 80% of the time. If it wasn't because of the remaining 20% being really good (even fight between bases with cover) I wouldn't play at all.

Most of the time you either steam roll a base or the enemy steam rolls yours. That is if you can even get to a big fight with the ******** spawn system in place. And when there even is an even fight, most of the time you don't have much cover as infantry (SOE does not like trees) and get one shot killed in dozens of different ways. (liberators, snipers, anti tank turret, tanks, etc. etc. etc.)
  9. MarkAntony

No.
    This would make smart positioning useless. We don't need more crutches for bad players.
  10. Hermit92

I also feel that TTK is lower than a few month ago. I, like the op also prefer a longer TTK, but the current TTK is also fine.
  11. Crayv

The HS multiplier is actually 2x on most guns. 167 damage guns will kill with 3 headshots and the Commissioner (450) will kill an infil with a single headshot. Shotguns and the crossbow are the guns with the 1.5x headshot multiplier.

But yes I agree with you that the things you listed are exactly why the TTK seems so much faster now.

First FPS I ever played was Doom. You didn't exactly die quickly in that game (never played against other people though). First multi-player FPS I ever played was GoldenEye 64, you didn't exactly die instantly in that game either. Then there was a long pause in my life where I didn't really play FPS games until TF2, which again doesn't exactly have fast TTKs in most situations. So nearly all the FPS games I have ever played have very long TTKs. The games I'm seeing people say that have TTKs faster than this one are nearly all "modern era, realistic, 911 revenge simulators"
  12. Syphers

Nah They nailed the TTK just right with the shield mechanic. PS1 was truly bad in this regard.
  13. Sandpants

Issue with very low TTK in this game is 10 second respawns +trips back to the fight. It would be very very annoying and most people would spend the game on the respawn screen.
  14. Tuco

"Look at me, I got skill as I run around corners and exploit lag." low TTK fan

Just be happy we don't have rocket jumping and bunny hopping.
  15. FieldMarshall

TTK was higher last year?
  16. Klypto

Before the nanoweave headshot nerf it was vefy frustraighting to play pistols only. TTK disparity was increadible.
  17. AshOck

It's very strange how people accuse others that want a higher TTK of being noobs and then go on to say
    that they don't want people to be able to turn around and kill them if they started shooting first :confused: seriously?
    you got the drop on them, start shooting first and then proceed to call them noobs after they killed you?!

Also, why do people always think that others either have good situational awareness and tactical positioning OR reflexes and aim?
    Some have neither, some have either one or the other and some have BOTH.

I find it very frustrating when I'm killed and feel like there was nothing I could do about it. Many times it happens so fast that there is
    just no chance to react at all. So, I know some of you will say that the person that killed me was smarter in a better tactical position
    etc and sometimes that would be true, I'm fine with that. But with how the game is designed that's mostly not the case. It's usually just some random player that just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Of course, quick reaction time and aim still play in my favor in other situations. But it still feels like those skills are being
    capped at a lower level in order to make sure that other people have a chance to get kills too.
    • Up x 2
  18. Van Dax

TTK will not nor should it be significantly changed.
    it would necessitate restatting every single weapon and ability as well as things like terrain layouts and capture times.
    It would essentially require them to remake the entire game as TTK is a fundamental baseline that is decided on and finalized very early in the game design, you will notice if you knew anything about how the stats are, even "great disparities" in kill times are usually only different by a .1-.2 of a second and this is very carefully maintained.

If you have serious problems with PA's and BASR's then I have but one thing to say:
    stop being tuchas terrorized and git gud.
  19. VoidMagic

Leave TTK alone.

You are not so wonderful that you must be protected like a snowflake only being killed by some kind of opt in duel situation where only your skill in some metaphorical rule filled fever dream is accurately weighed with the never changing out come of YOU THE VICTOR VICTORIOUS. you are not #TEH BES. you will never be #TEH BES... and whether you die to a tank, an aircraft, another soldier, or an internet disconnect, take responsibility for it, and improve your relation to it.

You are a number, a grain of sand, and that cacophony around you is a battle, not a sport. Stop crying about it. You want to live forever, "earn it", don't dumb the game down. Don't attempt to whittle out the chaos and fury with your tears. If you don't like the way it is, go play any lobby shooter you feel is better balanced. Go play checkers.

5 minute 1 on 1 gun duels aren't f-ing more skillful, more Wow/MMO like sure... but not more skillful.
    There are those that will be put in the exact situation you were, and live, because they made a better decision, because they were faster, or because they've seen it before and you haven't, quit trying to take away their chance to shine with your myopia and fever dreams of KDR mastery. PS2 is exactly what it should be... a giant glorious chaotic massive slugfest. Sometimes you eat the dog, sometimes it eats you.
  20. Elrohur

Omg and there's a bunch of people like you calling others "noobs" or saying they suck because they want higher TTK.
    Think back about what is Counter Strike, how the maps are built and how is the gameplay (especially in competitive games). Even if PS2 and CS are two FPS there's so many MAJOR differences that you can hardly compare those two.
    Go watch Quake 3 games between Rapha and mouz cooller then tell me that those guys have no skills and suck because of the high(er) TTK.

PS2 isn't build for a short TTK such as you can see in Counter Strike, the game mechanics (shields / cloak / healing / turret or whatever) as well as the game design do not fit the genre. You want to go for lower TTK with headshot = 1 hit kill ... alright, that's fine but then redesign the game to match this kind of gameplay. So then you can effectively take cover, cover efficiently the paths into a cap point / base / tower. Remove the classes and sustained fire abilities, remove some of the explosives etc.
    SoE need to clear things by building a game considering all of its aspects. If you want a MMO Counter Strike then you have to do it right and give less way for everyone to flank people or make their cover irrelevant (take a look at what became Esamir and how easy it is for a LA to out position you)..

To me lengthening TTK also provides you more tactical / team gameplay simply because you'll need others. Either because there's too many enemies for you, because you'll run out of ammo, because then you have a chance to cover the medic providing heal and rez and so on.
    • Up x 1