Out of render distance - shield not showing up, bannable?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Admiralty, Feb 14, 2014.

1. DeadAlive99

It seems bazaar to me that they've designed it so that shield existence for Client A is dependent on Client B rendering properly. Shields are a critical component in this game. Existence should not depend on visual rendering, and one player should not be getting abused because another player has a slow system. There's got to be a better way to design this.
  2. Thpthpthp

I think SOE is more to blame than players. In most cases it's probably unintentional, and if it becomes a problem notify the player and hopefully they'll stop and SOE will eventually fix it.
  3. jarree

Let's say enemy is attacking from Tawrich to Tawrich depot. You spawn a tank at Crossroads and go to Broken Arch. You see enemy tanks in Tawrich Depot behind the gate shield. You see them way before the shield starts rendering and you have no way of knowing if the shield is still up or if it has been destroyed. If you move closer down the road to find out, you will get instagibbed by deployed prowlers sitting behind the gate (if the shields are down).

So, will you shoot at the first opportunity you get or will you move closer to find out if the shield is really down?

Answer: No you cannot get banned from shooting beyond render range.
  4. andy_m

Yeah... Right...

I mentioned to a couple of "The Steel Legion" Outfit members that they were shooting through spawn room shields and the response was rather curt and impolite. As for knowing if there are shields or not, I'm on about spawn room shields at the small bases. They never go down until they flip to the attacking faction. They knew what they were doing...
  5. LordCreepy

Spwan room shields always render within the 300m that infantry renders afaik.
    I think you can still be hit by splash if someone outside got hit by an explosive ( Not sure if this got fixed).
    If people refuse to reason with you and are obviously abusing this I'd report them for harassing and explain the case in the report.
  6. andy_m

Yeah, I was wondering that, if someone was hit by a rocket (or whatever), while poking out of the shield, that it would breach the shield's ability and allow splash damage to pass through, which I suppose is fair enough really. I kind of imagine that this would be a fair "mechanic," if you know what I mean.

The fact that the peeps I whispered just laughed in my face (LOL) made me think it was an exploit.

I'll take more notice of that situation in the future :)
  7. Taemien

Its technically bannable. In practice, you probably won't be unless you do it habitually.

Hard to prove though. Some spawn shields can be deactivated. How is one who is 300+ meters away supposed to know if you're not in range to see SCU status? How many false reports will come because of shooting through gate shields? Or Gate Shield Diffuser Sundies being used to get into crazy places a defender didn't think? (try that one at the bottom of the biolab.. funny crap right there)
  8. LordCreepy

Old biolabs layout and diffuser fury harasser. --> fun times and so many hatetells
  9. IamDH

I'm sorry this made me laugh awkwardly to myself. Not trying to be THAT guy but its bizarre

@OP: Yeah im pretty sure its bannable. Its passing the game system to get kills so im pretty sure it is bannable. Its hard to do this by accident (although possible), when in doubt just move forward
  10. ShortRovnd

Does this go to show just how silly client side hit detection is?
  11. Sen7rygun

Banning players for playing through enormous, glaring, obvious, stupidly avoidable loopholes. SOE logic.
  12. EliteEskimo

I'm sure they've been making a list of all the AV turret users killing tanks out of render range for the past 9 MONTHS, and any day now the ban hammer is going to drop.:rolleyes:

It's extra annoying when they are so far away they hit your tank through a vehicle shield your tank is behind.
  13. Goretzu

Yes, it's an exploit, whether they'll do anything about it is another kettle of fish.

People sometimes certainly do it by accident, but equally there's a guild on my server that speads about 25% of their MBT time doing nothing else (they have the exact spots for each base sorted).
  14. FaLI3N

When I'm lockdown shelling near vehicle shields and they haven't rendered I will wait until I see them firing through where the shield should be or see them driving ahead of it before firing on them. It's not because I'm worried about being banned it's just I know what it feels like to be killed by some cheap scrub after getting behind what you thought was the safety of the shield. I usually just send them a tell and hope they stop it, sometimes they don't and respond aggressively or try and say they are getting their outfit to report me. In that case I just flank around and mess up their dirty little AV nest until they get lost.