[Suggestion] Substitute KDR with ADR

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Simferion, Oct 2, 2013.

1. BRU7AL

Some players (like me) care about KDR and don't care much about objectives. Some players care about objectives and don't care much about KDR. Lets have both stats available and display them next to eachother.
    • Up x 2
  2. TheRunDown

KDR should be its own menu somewhere, and ADR should be the main display.
  3. ironeddie

I like the sound of this ADR.
  4. Emotitron

Nothing is going to work to the ends some people want. Players like myself don't play to 'pad' our killboards or stats - because really who even looks at anyone else's killboard? I am an old quake DM player so my instinct in any game is to kill as much as possible and die as little as possible.

People who care about objectives (which ultimately are just as pointless as trying to get a good K/D or SPM) will care about that, people who don't won't.

Adding more stats players can check on to see 'how they stack up' is fine though. Everyone likes to know how they are progressing, but it isn't going to make someone like myself care two shakes about whether a base cap happens or not.
  5. MajiinBuu

ZOE shotgun is OP, nerf jetpacks on infiltrators
  6. Tenebrae Aeterna

It's a great idea, but I'd like something slightly different.

Death is irrelevant in Planetside 2.
    1. You don't loose experience if you die.
    2. You don't loose certification points if you die.
    3. You only lose time when you die, and that's the true punishment.
    Lost time is the only punishment incorporated into the game, and for your run and gun oriented classes...death is the primary cause of lost time. For your long ranged snipers, however, death isn't the primary cause of lost time because the entire playing style focuses around being far more difficult to engage due to the distances which are used to snipe from. Counter-sniping is our primary cause of death...but when it comes to the primary cause of lost time, that's incorporated into the very fundamental mechanics of sniping itself.
    1. The time required to locate an adequate sniping position.
    2. The time required to re-chamber a round upon firing each time.
    3. The time required until our scope stabilization feature has cooled down.
    4. The time required until a target becomes stationary, placing themselves in the perfect position for us to finally nail that greatly needed headshot.
    The latter of those time sinks is the most significant one, we have to wait until the enemy puts themselves into a position where we can kill them. If they move, even in the slightest bit, this could cost us the shot and the time wasted throughout the duration may equate to the same amount of lost time that a run and gun oriented player suffers from dying. This is how sniping is balanced.

The time to kill equates to the kill to death ratios of run and gun oriented players...and so long as the experience gain within any given amount of time is comparable between the two playing styles, they're balanced. Both playing styles still suffer from the same exact punishment when they are failing at their particular class...a loss in time that could have otherwise been spent making these accomplishments.

This is why I propose a slight tweak to your concept.

Instead of ADR (Accomplishment Death Ratio) make it APH (Accomplishments Per Hour)

This would bring about a better understanding of the balance between the drastically different playing styles of run and gun oriented classes and long ranged sniping. The faster people stop paying attention to death in Planetside 2, the better. You'll stop seeing people so hesitant at throwing themselves into risky situations and we'll stop trying to balance the game off kill to death and frustration in general.

So long as each class is obtaining comparable experience to the others within the same amount of time, they are balanced. The death ratio doesn't matter, it's not important, only the experience gain within a specified amount of time dictates how effective you are in this game.

Even if the Sniper Rifle changes go through and our long ranged capabilities are crippled...I'd MUCH rather see a APH over a ADR!

P.S.

This isn't to say that I want the kill to death ratio taken out, just that I don't believe further death related statistics need be incorporated into the game when people are already paranoid enough about their KDR. I play SMG just to build up certification points due to my low grade computer and framerate making sniping lackluster, if I cared about my death rate...I'd be a very, very, sad panda by now.
    • Up x 1
  7. Salmonman

Please, all power to the this idea.
  8. Crackulous

And then, there's the group of people who will manage to find a method to farm their ADR without contributing much to their faction.
  9. Simferion

You 'll always have stat padders, but it's better to have also an omnicomprensive stat than only a specific one.
  10. recuring wolfe

dont replace... just have both. I love watching my K/D. i sort of see it as a way to check how i am improving. But i do love this idea... People who play support rolls look like they have really bad skill when looking at stats. This is definatly a good stat to compliment what we already have! :D
    • Up x 2
  11. Codex561

12. PYROxSYCO

Every time I see my kill death ratio I get a little bummed because i don't kill alot of the time maybe within the purposed system you could filter actions you have did such as Kills, Heals, Revives, Repairs, etc.
  13. Simferion

That's my idea.
    It's also good for personal pride and it eliminates part of the frustration.
  14. Simferion

15. AmidimA

I would support this. KDR is so irrelevant if you actually want to get meaningful actions accomplished. It's astronomical how many times I've tried to sneak a parked sunderer and failed. I may die some 20 times before I actually can get under it, get tank mines down, then blow it sky high. I may get like 2 or 3 kills from blowing the sundie, but the value of stopping the enemy invasion far out weighs the 20 deaths it took me to accomplish it. I'd even go so far to say that players who have a high K/D ratio weren't supporting the team, more than likely just being selfish by sniping as far away as possible and not storming a capture point to save/take a facility. Let's face it, in a game where platoon leaders yell things like "Throw bodies on the point, it doesn't matter if you die, everybody get in there now", KD is kind of a joke.
    • Up x 1
  16. FBVanu

suggested on another thread that we should have a vehicle kill instead of a 'player' kill..
    I'd love my prowler to somehow show that a 'vanguard killer' is coming your way;..
    How about Ribbons and xtra XP for every 5 vehicle kills ?

Like the idea of the ADR.. in combination with the KD..
    Taking our a Lightning is far more valuable than taking our infantry.. never mind that blowing up a Sundie should be THE main objective .. but I get more points and better stats for killing 3 guys near the Sundie, than I will ever get for blowing up the Sundie..

Thumbs up for the general idea.
  17. plek

i would want something like this.
  18. Wulfen109

It's a FPS. The point of the game is to kill your enemy. There is literally no other point to it. Capture a base? You need to kill the people inside it. Support other players? Support them to kill others more effectively. To say that killing people isn't the main aspect of this game is incorrect.
    side note: I very do much like this new stat idea. All i would say is add it right next to KDR. Because KDR is NOT useless and knowing how effective one is for killing others is very valuable information regardless what everyone else thinks
  19. Hotbread

20. Sghignifiss

You will excuse me but I personally do not agree with your statement. I could easily say that Quake 3 Arena's (or equivalent games) main objective is to kill people, because there's actually no other things to do. I find Planetside 2 quite different from games like those. It is an FPS, BUT it has a tactical, team oriented play style that the only KDR cannot measure.

I'll give you a pair of examples:

- I'm on a turret in a Sunderer that's going to deploy in a strategic position to capture an enemy base. If the game was really only about killing people I would shoot to any enemy in my sight. Instead, I keep a low profile and shoot only to enemies that actually see and attack us. This behaviuor is bad for my KDR, but it is the right behaviuor to help my faction conquer the base. In this context killing enemies is a side effect (not always necessary) of the base conquest, not the main objective.

- I'm a medic/engineer/generic support class. If I spend most of my time killing people without actually supporting team mates I could have a good KDR, but I'm not playing rightly my role. I would be a good fragger but not a good team mate that actually works well in a squad.