Bring back the beta night!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Seaker Drone, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daniel696

It's already on the test server or will come ?
  2. $1.99 Taco Combo

Whenever the next update to Test is. I will pop back in and say when that is, once I know for sure.
    • Up x 1
  3. daniel696

I was already opening the Launcher, you broke my hope :(
  4. Gammit

SWEET GOOGLY MOOGLY, THANK YOU!!! :eek:
    • Up x 2
  5. Anvildude

And there was much rejoicing.
    • Up x 3
  6. vincent-

This ******* red name here! You win sir.
    • Up x 1
  7. CrazyCanadian24

[IMG]
    Huge image is huge.
    • Up x 2
  8. $1.99 Taco Combo

Server is being updated now. Whenever it opens, bring your flashlights!
    • Up x 2
  9. CrazyCanadian24

• Up x 1
  10. Torok

THIS POST! You can't simply read it without panicking
    • Up x 2
  11. LucasPiazon

There needs to be a helmet or shoulder mounted flashlight that comes default and can be turned on and off with a hotkey. It should have a MUCH larger effective range than the current flashlight (and perhaps tighter cone to balance) It can be upgraded with certs to have things like longer range, brighter light, wider cone, etc. For Station Cash players can purchase different colours and even disco patterns for the light. The current flashlights should stay the same, except they blind enemies like in battlefield when aimed at their heads. Also, if you have both the shoulder/helmet mounted and gun mounted flashlights on at the same time, their brightness adds up to illuminate more than just having one on at a time.
    • Up x 1
  12. LucasPiazon

SOE even if the nights stay the same (which I'm against), make it a different time of day on each continent all the time. This means if people aren't happy fighting at night they can go to a continent where it is day time. If people prefer fighting at night, they can go to a continent where it is night time. There has to be a clear visual indicator of the time of day or at least brightness level at each warpgate warp terminals and at the top of the map screen next to continent name. This could also help balance out the continents' populations.
  13. CrazyCanadian24

Loving the new old night, seconding the shoulder/helmet flashlight.
    • Up x 1
  14. LucasPiazon

So about an hour ago, I logged onto the test server and had to wait about a half hour for night to come. Then I played at night for about a half hour and here are my impressions. Dissapointed.

While I appreciate that nights on Indar are darker, it's just not enough. I could still see clearly for over 50 meters without any flashlight or night vision scope equipped. I had all settings on high, including shadows, and brightness set to 0.

Night and day battles are supposed to be a completely different experience. Unlike daytime, at night time you should barely be able to see a thing outside 10 meters at least if you are not using a flashlight or night vision scope, pretty much how it was in the beta.
    In the day, I can stand on a rock during a large battle and get a pretty big view of the whole battlefield and all the people and vehicles in it. I SHOULD NOT be able to do the same thing during night time. I still can, unfortunately, despite the update to Indar nights on the test server. I want to have to switch to a night time loadout, instead of continueing with the same one I was using before.

My vision was one of lack of vision. My desire is that at night time you can't see and absorb the same information the same ways that you do during day time, instead Night time must add a strategical spin on the battlefield. You would rely more on your mini-map and overhead markers to know where enemies are, in turn making scout vehicles and recon darts more useful. You would have to look for tracers and muzzle flash more than you do now, making flash supressors more useful. It would be a lot more important to hide noise, so regular supressors become more important. Flare guns should be more useful to temporarily illuminate parts of the battlefield. Stealth becomes viable, and you can perform flanking manouvers with large amounts of soldiers without being seen and thwarted. You might make the decision to turn your flashlight off, and only aim down your night vision scope, sacrificing visibility to be more stealthy. There could be an enemy only a few meters away, and neither of you see each other, until suddenly... your in eachothers faces! The suspense, the surprise! The adrenaline! It's what we, the community want. Of course, all this lack of visibilty wouldn't apply indoors where there are lights.

Now that, was only mentioning the tactical aspect, never mind the visual aspect. Oh the beauty! We all miss how the tracers would glow in the dark, and flashes from explosions would light up the battlefield for just a second! It was something to behold! I've met so many members of the community who say that they joined the game mainly because of the gorgeousness of the night times they saw in the trailer. Not only would creating a night like this bring more players into both the pc and ps4 version of the game, but it will also stop so many players who are bored and need something new, from leaving to other games.

There are some other things that would need to change to facilitate this new night time that would make it different from the night time of the beta. People didn't like the night time of the beta, because there were not enough options to help with visibility, and finding enemies. People could just wander around aimlessly for ages only seeing what was infront of their nose until they met an enemy doing the same thing, one would kill the other, the loser would respawn, and they would both continue doing the same thing. Less action, more slow paced and more boring. Of course I'm only talking about outdoor combat at night time, not idoors. The proposals that the community have suggested should fix these issues. Obviously, these suggestions are up for discussion but I'll tell you the best ones in my opinion. (I mentioned some in earlier posts)

1)There must be default shoulder or helmet mounted flashlight that can be turned on or off with a hotkey, but turns on by default when it
    gets to a certain darkness level. This will stop new players without certs to spend on a flashlight from being put off from the game because they can't see anything.

2)This default flashlight, has a much greater effective range than current flashlights. I would say, to the point when most carbines can accurately hip fire with the average default cone.

3) This default flashlight can be upgraded with cert points (probably in the 'passive' section) to improve in ways such as, brighter, longer range, wider cone, etc. Different colours, patterns and even moving patterns can be purchased with station cash.

4)Beyond default flashlight range, only aiming down sights with a night vision scope should be viable, which is why the current 1x night vision scope needs its effective range increased. There should also be more night vision scopes, a 2x at least, that some guns have access to, just like with regular scopes.

5)Night vision scopes must be practically unusable during day time, as everything is far to bright to see (except in foggy and dark areas like on Hossin) . However I do think this pretty much is already the case, on most graphics settings anyway.

6)Regular flashlights on guns, that we have in the game at the moment should stay pretty much the same, except they also blind enemies like with tactical flashlights in battlefield when you aim at their head. This would make these flashlights still useful in daytime, therfore better value for certs. On top of this, I think when you have both the gun mounted and shoulder/helmet mounted flashlights on simulatiously, the light the emitt stacks, is added up to illuminate more than just having one of them on. Of course the hotkeys to turn both of them on should be seperate.

7)Vehicles have much stronger and longer ranged headlights than the current ones, and mayber some lights/glowing bits just to stop them from being overpowered (invisible) at night. I also think it would be cool if aircraft had some sort of headlight to help see enemy aircraft at night or to help iluminate the battlefield below. It would also be quite visually apealing having darting about glowing lights in the sky. A galaxy could have a spotlight attachment that lights up the ground beneath at up to a certain altitude, and it would work just like jump jets, with an energy pool, duration, and recharge rate that can be certed into.

8)Vanu infantry are far to difficult to see at night, so a solution like some glowy bits on their armour could be implemented. I don't have too much of a problem with black camo though as it's something anyone from any faction can equip for an advantage at night time, although it would be harder to differentiate between teammates and enemies if everybody wore it in the low visibility of this hypothetical night.

9)Variations of flare guns with different brightness levels, durations and effective radius. As well as other factors such as how high the flair can climb, if it floats back down to the ground, etc.

10) Large bases could have lighting generators that switches off all the lighting in a base when destroyed, giving a better equipped squad an advantage over the enemy. Furthermore, lighting in general could be resource dependant, so if a base loses it's lattice link, the lighting will the drain the bases resources and get dimmer and dimmer until they switch off altogether. However this would require the resource revamp to have each base with it's own resource pool. 11)Add a section in the tutorial that explains the difference between night and day and how to equip for it.

These are just some ideas, and I'm sure there ar many more out there, and ones still waiting to be created. Still, the accumulation of these ideas would make a 'beta night' time much more varied and interesting. The main ideas are the ones that allow you to see more, and see further, than you could during the original 'beta night', whilest still maintaining what we all loved about the original, 'beta night'.

Now if people still don't like this type of night, provide them with an alternative, rather than just leaving nights like it is now to keep them satisfied. Provide a clear visual representation next to the continent name on the map screen of what time of day it is, how bright it is, and how long it will last that way. Provide the same thing at all warp terminals. This is so that if people don't like the new night fights they can go to another continent where it is day time, because each continent will always be running at a different time of day. This will help with continent population balancing, because it will shift people around continents more.

So in summary, I'm not satisfied with the nights on the live, or test server, and this post is how I want night times to become. I just hope I posted this in the right place, and that the night I saw on the test server on Indar wasn't just a clientside glitch, because I will have just wasted a lot of time.
    • Up x 7
  15. LucasPiazon

Apparantly I can't edit my post anymore, it's been 30 minutes, so here's number 11 to that list.

11)A solution will need to be found for sniping and other long range roles at night time, due to massively reduced visibility. Would long range roles dissapear entirely at night? Would there be night vision scopes for longer ranges? If so how would that be balanced compared to regular long range scopes? All this would need to be figured out.
  16. CrazyCanadian24

Seconding everything you said, except for this. We already have the Lasher - we don't need to turn this into Discoside2/Raveside2. And while more cyan on VS infantry is called for, actual glowing bits are not. None of the other factions have that. And the Galaxy spotlight seriously shouldn't be an ability - just make it the Skywhale's "headlights".
  17. NovaAustralis

PROGRESS! :D
  18. LucasPiazon

I agree with you on everything. I was just throwing out some ideas I'd heard there.
  19. CrazyCanadian24

Fair enough.
  20. OldMaster80

Anybody posting some screenshots?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.