[Video] - Nanoweave is getting out of control

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mustarde, Oct 13, 2013.

1. JimRussle

If infantry are dangerous at the same distances than infils then there is no point in infils at all. TTK for two bullet hits for bolt actions is way higher than any machine gun.

Comparing NW to flak is apples to oranges. Explosives tend to be largely random damage from people spraying whereas getting sniped is intentional, calculated, and deliberate to you.
  2. S7rudL

- NW any level should offer no protection against a sniper rifle headshot on other classes, only HeavyAssult class with a NW5 should survive a headshot

- If the infiltrator lands a headshot on the HA NW5 and survives, the infiltrator gets half or a small portion of exp for landing a headshot with a sniper rifle exclusively
  3. K4is0r

Just wanted to add my 2cents, as this seems to be a thread were most of the messages are in a way "constructive" (except a few).

I play planetside2 mostly as a sniper. My "gaming career" began a decade ago with q3 (railgun pwnage), ut (sniper instakill) and cs (awp for the win). Didn`t play CoD or the other battlefield 1942+ games, but in my generation, everyone was OK with OHKs. If you didn`t want to get shot instantly, you had to jump around as hell (strafejumps, bunnyhoping and so on) and/or need to have a better aim then your opponent.
    Now in PS2 OHKs as a sniper require much more experience then in every other first person shooter i played so far. This is acceptable for me because I always liked characters who have a deep learning curve and some advantages in the endgame if you have mastered the class. I love killing people while they are running on foot or sitting in the backseat of a harrasser :)

So far so good, playing a PS2 sniper is sometimes really satisfying... but there are also huge imbalances in the game which are veeerry frustrating. Especially when it effects the whole metagame of your primary class. One of them is for sure the "NW > OHK" thing.
    Because of NW sniping, in specific situations, is completely obsolet. I can still kill n00bs, with or without NW, but when it comes to skilled high br opponents (or hole squads of them), sniping is like throwing a rock against a tank. You can do exactly nothing against them.
    There are 12 people (~4 medics) and every one of them has NW4 or higher. Maybe you can kill one of them if you aim well, but in the end they get revived and will hunt you down. You have more fun by sitting in a corner and wait until the squad went on then really confront them... Its so frustrating because you can get as skilled as you want, its impossible to make a difference against such a powerful perk in combination with a little teamwork. If I would have played HA, Engineer or every other class in that situation, I would have at least the possibility to make a difference with skilled aiming.

With NW preventing OHKs, a sniper isn`t much more then a n00b-killer. He has his right to exist by killing beginners who stand still and dont know it better or by killing people who play as lonewolfs outside of every squad. But in the moment you have some opponents who have NW and are experienced, playing a sniper isn`t a valid option anymore.
    Some people may say now, that you just have to switch your class or your weapon... but really, for what did SOE implement the sniper meta game into PS2 when a specific "good for everything" perk negates the whole class?
    • Up x 3
  4. libbmaster

So.... okay?

Look, I'm an infantryman, a typical grunt. I usually play medic (But play HA and Engie when the pubs need it) and I PTFO. I'm usually in CQC, both because it fits my play style and because I can't aim.

So if there's anyone here who should hate getting instagibed @ 500meters, it's me.

But, as I mentioned above, I can appreciate the skill required to do what you do, consider it a viable strategy, and thus belive you should be rewarded for your work.

What I'm trying to say is, I feel that some kind of buff to headshot multipliers that would bring things back to the beginning would be a justifiable and "sell-able" idea, and something I could support.

Nano-rank5 players and heavys with their shields up would still be able to survive headshots, most people with high ranking Nano-weave would be able to tank body shots, and snipers would get appropriately rewarded for landing headshots at extreme ranges.
  5. Theodwulf

1)False equivalence, tankers aren't whining about infantry being to hard to kill

2) Guy do you think you are the only former soldier that reads this forums ( US Army '90-'96)? when we say "sniper" in this forum we are not talking about op4s infantry, we are talking about a highly specialized unit, engaging the enemy with a specialized weapons. The m-21 isn't standard issue. Whats the ratio between infantry and snipers? How about crew served weapons vs. those with sniper rifles? You know this so stop being a freakin' idiot.

3)SMG infiltrators involves "risk" , that's what makes them not so cheesy as a dozen guys padding their k/d ratio with little to no risk form as far away as possible.

4)Sniping doesn't take skill , it takes patience..I know this because I do it frequently, i find it dull, but sometimes we must fill a role that we don't like for the good of the many. Please don't use the word "skill" when talking about any element of a video game, makes you sound like a dork. It takes skill ( and patience) to hit targets at 300+ meters with an actual rifle

In other words Nano weave is fine
  6. lilleAllan

Why do infiltrator threads always have this sad, support group atmosphere?

I feel like I'm in the start of "Fight Club" where he visits the sick and the dying, but with saltier tears.
    • Up x 2
  7. a4555in

Oh so you'r telling me you had bad luck when you got ~10 NW's in ~21headshots?I did much better than you the other day..
    Lined up 7 CONSEQUITIVE headshots the other day at crossroads at some vanu...ALL OF THEM FREAKING SURVIVED..
    You don't get more unlucky than that:mad:. Iquit playing the game for some days after that incident.
  8. Mustarde

I will repeat that none of the players in my video required nanoweave 5. All they needed was nanoweave 2 (11 cert cost) to survive my RAMS.50 to the head.

And I agree, the biggest problem with all of my "advocacy" videos is that I still end up with a respectable body count throughout the footage. I'm one of only a handful of people to snipe and infiltrate their way to BR100. At a time when everyone else was lib farming their way to the top of the leaderboards, I clung to my SR-7 and kept sniping away, with the belief that I could find a way to use this class and still stand out above players who relied on HE farming, maxes, shotguns, libs, and later on, Harassers. Today I am #5 in total kills on Mattherson, #20 overall on the server, with the second most headshots in the game.

When I make these videos, you are watching someone who has mastered the weapons and mechanics of the infiltrator class (even though I whiff on several pretty easy shots and let myself get sniped by a BR3 lol). The focus should not be on how well I do in-spite of nanoweave - but the fact that within 7-8 minutes of gameplay, I had 47% of my headshots blocked by a passive suit slot, essentially rendering my sniper rifle useless against those players. In this particular fight, my targets were entrenched on a tower, mostly stationary, destroying a TR armor column and preventing our advance on Dahaka. It was the perfect time to apply sniping to a battle.

However, most fights do not present such an ideal sniping environment. Most fights will have players moving from spawn rooms to other small buildings, to fight over an objective that is indoors or within a courtyard, where the sniper has to be much closer to even have a clean shot. The times that you can engage from a distance, rarely do players stack up and remain stationary like you see in the video.

What I'm trying to say is, take that 47% NW rate and imagine that you are sniping against a field of moving targets. An average sniper will hit 5-10% of moving headshots (that's a number I made up based on my own gameplay so don't freak out - it's an estimate). Half of them don't matter, because nanoweave.

This video is different because it takes a unique sniping opportunity and demonstrates the prevalence and effect NW has on bolt action rifles. While I've been on this bandwagon for a while, no one, to date, had posted video footage showing more than one or two shots getting nanoweaved (besides me). So take that 47% rate and apply it to all the more difficult shots that we take on a regular basis (which happen too slowly to make a video like this out of) and you will see where all the frustration comes from.

While I know this video re-ignites the debate and flame war between NW haters and sniper haters, I wanted to put it out there and actually show the community what it looks like from my end of the scope. There have been very few videos to show this.
    • Up x 4
  9. Pirbi

I usually only get hit by snipers when I pull up the map as SL or PL. And then it just gives me more time to carefully screw over their faction.
  10. maxkeiser

NW is fine as it is. We don't particularly want PS2 to devolve into a sniper paradise with everyone toting sniper rifles to get OHKs.
    • Up x 1
  11. Eugenitor

Because the class is a failure. Snipers are artificially inaccurate, the cloak gives away your position, and there's an extra nerf to health because SOE hates you.

The only "infiltration" task the infiltrator is good for is getting behind enemy lines on a Wraith and hacking ****.
  12. maxkeiser

Just not true at all. I don't even use the infiltrator class that much and can still cause big problems near/behind enemy lines - infiltrating into bases, hacking terminals, killing the enemy when he doesn't suspect it, spotting for my platoon. Just generally causing mischief.

You can go on very long kill runs. And the cloak does work if used correctly.
  13. Flashtirade

Why do people think that buffing snipers will suddenly turn this game into a OHK campfest?
    Even COD's gameplay, with all its auto-aim OSBS shenanigans, is like 80-90% SMGs and ARs.
    • Up x 1
  14. Tr0jan

I never said that snipers win wars, I said they're useful... there's a big difference...
    :)

1. Tankers can one hit people if they hit, and they don't need to hit the head. that's first of all.

2. no, and yeah that's exactly what I meant when I used the word skill (which answers your 4#), if you don't like the word skill your can replace it with practice, cause it does take practice to master the sniper rifles in this game.

3. again, just because most people use sniper rifles in this game from 200m+ hills doesn't mean that everyone else does. most "pro" snipers i've seen play in the front line, or behind the enemy lines , which as u know has a lot of risks. so again, don't generalize us.
    sniping from a hill far away is dull , boring and ineffective exp wise.

SMG infiltrators are cheesy , having such power in the hands of an invisible person is just ridiculous (not even to mention the fact that you can't see clocked infiltrators on lowest resolution).

4. it does take skill (practice for u) , and patience. again you're talking about sniping from far away, and shooting targets that stand still. most dedicated snipers shoot both moving targets, and at close range as well. most of my sniping is with the 6x default sight.
  15. Brahma2

Bolt action sniper rifles should kill in a headshot, at whatever range... stop being *******. God help you if you ever play CS and see an AWP :).

Sniping in this game is much more difficult, at much longer ranges typically.

Reward.. skill... please.
  16. Slandebande

Just don't stand still and all the scrubs won't hit you, only the precious few who have dedicated time into the class and developing their skills with it can do it on a regular basis (by regular I do not mean >50%).

Yeah use the cloak within hearing distance of a skilled player, and you have at least 1 dedicated guy hunting you ;) If you do it near me and I don't have an immediate objective in mind, I will happily switch the Infiltrator, start by setting up a recon dart (maxed) in our base near the entrances, then follow it up by placing claymores at opportune locations. After the initial preparations have been taken care of, I go on the offensive. Unless you don't mind sitting still for a few minutes doing nothing, that can be quite annoying :)
  17. Sworaven

Where do you get the idea this would happen? It wouldn't.

Nanoweave is not fine as it is.
  18. DeadliestMoon

Lol. No.
  19. iMartyr

while we're at it remove any and all ocver in the game too
  20. Earthman

No.

You can not, and should not, have it both ways. Coming here and accusing people of being "entitled" (what a tiresome and overused-to-meaningless insult that is) while at the same time expecting, DEMANDING the magic of your one hit kill business while being invisible, every time, is very ridiculous.

If you're sooooo skilled show us how not "entitled" you are and take that second shot, champ.