Did anyone see a deployed MAX lately?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by gunfox, Aug 3, 2013.

1. gunfox

Because I haven't in a long time.

ZOE on the other hand...
    • Up x 13
  2. SifuBob

I saw my MAX deploy the other day. undeployed about 3 seconds later after multiple sniper headshots tho.
  3. Callahan

I haven't deployed since about two weeks after it came out. No point. I've funneled my MAX certs into autorepair and charge instead.
    • Up x 2
  4. gunfox

I unlocked max rank deploy the day it came out, even though I knew it was crappy. I thought "If it's really that bad SOE will buff it very soon..."

So much for that. I went back to using lvl 1 Charge on EVERY setup in about a week.
    • Up x 3
  5. Ned

Mobility was the one advantage infantry had over the MAX, ZOE took that away.
    • Up x 19
  6. Tullerion

Yeah, once again TR get the most useless stuff, I've gotten used to it now. i try to just have fun lol
  7. Tobax

Your going to think I'm lieing but... I play only NC (4 days a week minimum) and I've never seen a locked down max, don't even know what it looks like.

ZOE though, seems to come standing with every VS max now.
    • Up x 4
  8. Notih8Darian

This is going to turn into "Did anyone see a deployed MAX lately?" into "pls nerf zoe"
    It's already somewhat happening!
    • Up x 2
  9. KenDelta

I deploy with my duel pounders/frac over a hill , snipe the ***** out of enemy armor. randomly keep on getting headshotted.
    I find it like ZOE(massive speed boost for 30% moar dmg) ,you know massive RoF/ReloadSpeed for turret mode.
  10. HooWoo

vnu pls u 2 op plz nerf higby :'(
  11. gunfox

A deployed AI-MAX is essentialy a degraded AI-MANA turret. The difference is that an engineer can jump out of that one in a glimpse, and is now immune to anything that hits the shield. We just stand there and eat rockets and C4, and are dead long before we can undeploy.

It's also useless against air because of the limited field of view, even more so now that the burster's range got nerfed heavily.

AV, yeah good luck with using that ability anywhere in the open, it's just an invitation for snipers and HAs.

Nobody in his right mind uses that ability, anywhere.
    • Up x 3
  12. Astealoth

Lockdown doesn't trump the utility of charge in any imaginable situation. Anyone who plays more than 5 minutes in a MAX can clearly see this. The extremely small offense gain does not balance with the absolutely insane defense loss. You take an enormous amount of time to deploy, you are rooted in place during the deploy, you can't turn while deployed, and you take an enormous amount of time to undeploy, for what? Damage downtime during deploy and undeploy actually makes your effective DPS as a lockdown MAX go down. So -3% to +3% effective DPS depending on the situation and 300%-400% defense loss?

Charge can be used as both an offensive and defensive ability and has no downside whatsoever. NC shield can also be used as an offensive and defensive ability with very little downside. ZOE is the most balanced of the four in my opinion, as it offers a reasonable offense gain with a fairly equal defense loss. I've spent a good number of hours with all four abilities at their mid range certing and lockdown is the only one that is currently not equipped and is never used in any of my customization slots on any of my 6 characters.

I don't think anyone at SOE actually plays this game. That's a good thing though, maybe they're all playing the EQN internal dev build and making that the best game it can be. Very excited for that!
    • Up x 1
  13. Ned

What do you expect? out of all MAX abilities there is a reason all VS maxes run ZOE, however we are at a stage where we cant nerf ZOE, so instead lockdown and Aegis shield should be heavily buffed to compensate.
  14. Notih8Darian

Yeah I agree 100% that lockdown and shield should be buffed, but this thread is likely to turn bad fast
  15. Jachim

It's just another example of how hamstrung TR are currently. Other factions tanks get bonuses without any negatives (shield, magburner), ours requires us to lock in place for several seconds and remain rooted.

Then they thought giving this to the TR MAX's would somehow be useful. Especially with how heavies can just strafe around a corner, fire a rocket and are back behind it before their shield is even down.

VS on the other hand can strafe like mad and doing the dodge in-fire-dodge out thing with heavies is much harder to actually garner a hit because they can strafe, even if it's slowed down from how it used to be.

And sure, NC max's can't fire when they have their shield out, but they can tank massive damage while their allies flood into the room from behind them at least.

Oh well, I guess we still have our quote unquote 'op' fractures that have a longer TTK than our chainguns and are just as bad as comets and ravens or falcons...

Or our Strikers that factually have less score per hour than any other ESRL but MUST BE NERFED or all the NC/VS are going to quit!
    :rolleyes:
    • Up x 6
  16. The King

I still see deployed MAXes all the time. I actually see more deployed MAXes than I do ZOE MAXes..
    It's prolly because, I am running by dropping ammo next to em.
  17. Spude

If you stay still in planetside 2 you are dead.

Mobility = profit
    Staying still = nonprofit
    • Up x 2
  18. Ash87

I use it all the time...

You can't just deploy in a field like an idiot, you have to advance, deploy to hold a room, uproot and walk a while, deploy...

When used well, like at a doorway, when you know someone is coming, I've used it to take out ZOE maxes and whole squads of people. Get an engi duct taped to your side and you'll kill the whole world with lock down.
    • Up x 2
  19. gunfox

Yeah, even a stock MAX who accidentaly unequipped charge can hold a doorway with an engi duct taped to his side. Maybe even better than a locked down one since he won't eat every shell coming in his direction.

You should read the stats. The DPS increase of lockdown is TINY. Really tiny.
    You know all those ZOE MAXes that always state that the raw DPS boost they get is negligible? You'd be amazed what the TR gets for rooting themselves in place. Hint: On one of the most widespread weapons (Mercy) it's far less than what ZOE gets, and it doesn't correlate with the description at all. And that just does not make any sense.
    • Up x 1
  20. Serell

I see plenty of deployed MAXes. I stick C4 up their butt and laugh.

The Aegis, though awesome looking, is crap. But I must admit, lockdown is waaaay worse than the Aegis Shield.
    • Up x 3