TR LMG Analysis

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AdennTM, Jul 21, 2013.

1. AdennTM

1337promlg*

And you're obviously biased towards the NC. You fill out all the characteristics. High NC BR, low TR BR and you think you know the TR weapons perfectly.

I felt the same as you in the beginning but once you play extensively with other weapons as well then you notice that the Carv isn't that great. Thus what I said in my initial post, as you grow as a player the Carv falls behind.

Also, try not giving your opinion unless you actually have extensive knowledge on it. You don't see me making NC analysis threads for a reason.
  2. DaddyVinoBambini

I quite like the CARV as well. Not sure why people call it a beginners weapon, and then say that it sucks (assuming that beginners=easy) if that's the logic used, then not sure why the same people say it isn't any good.

My three favorite LMGs (and the only weapons I really use) are the T16, MSW-R and CARV (have 1150+ kills with each of them).

With the CARV; it's all about trigger discipline and keeping a steady cadence on your bursts while under fire. 1-1.5 second bursts do wonders to control the gun's negative fire attributes.

I also only use HC/NV and Iron Sights - with the new T16 IS being my favorite open field, daytime sight. I dislike the large dot and additional perceived recoil that the reflexes have.

I'd love to see IS option make it on to the CARV.
    • Up x 1
  3. TheGreatOne80

I'm not looking for a buff for the TR LMGs, in general they are OK and I play the other two factions too and don't want to be killed by OP TR guns. :p

What I think is all LMGs with 652 RPM (I hope I'm correct) and 143 DMG like the Bull or the Rhino (maybe the EM1? too) are a bit weak. They should have the same RMP as the SVA-88. Or I could ask why the Carv-S has the same RPM and damage as the SVA-88 but worse accuracy and bad side-to-side recoil.

The NS15 has the same RPM and damage as the Bull/Rhino but that gun is better because of it's great accuracy while moving and 0.75 strafe speed and the reload time much shorter.

I have the Auraxium medal on all TR LMGs except the Bull (I don't have it) and the Carv-S (I just hate using that gun). The easiest was the Carv but I used it before they "balanced it". I still use it sometimes but I just prefer the MSW-R with adv. laser for CQC. For longer ranges I use the NS15 because only 300 kills left to have my Auraxium medal. When it's done I'll go back to my TMG-50.

I have played this game for like 1100 hours and have to say infantry gameplay is well balanced. If you feel one faction or the other is OP you should play that side too. Not only for 10-15 hours but 80-100 and you will see you stats are almost the same.
    • Up x 3
  4. AdennTM

The thing with the Carv is it has a low skill floor and low skill ceiling unlike other weapons (TMG-50) which have a high skill floor and a high skill ceiling.

You may not realize this now but you may in time. Or you're just the odd case both are valid.
  5. DashRendar

I wouldn't say the TMG-50 has a high skill ceiling. I wouldn't consider any weapon that has random recoil to have a high skill ceiling. Same can be said for the SAW when operating in the "SAW" range of 60m+.
  6. AdennTM

High is relative. It's higher then the Carv
  7. Tekuila

I'd be happy if they just put the carv back to how it was at release since flinch got nerfed.
    • Up x 2
  8. LowTechKiller

Very nice thread, thanks! When I'm done here, I'm heading to pick-up the T-16 Rhino to play with.

I've been trying to play the HA circuit, and I'm currently trying to decide between the VS's SVA-88 and the Ursa. They're both fantastic, but I have to stick with just one if I want to add it to my sig. Any thoughts?

By the way, as GREAT a killing machine as the SAW is, I hated using it. It's just plain uncomfortable to use compared to the TR weapons. I love the TMG-50, but interestingly enough, the very first post I ever read in this forum was titled "Is there any reason not to carry the T9 CARV". That was pre-nerf, of course.

Thanks again.:cool:
    • Up x 1
  9. AdennTM

10. treeHamster

And yet these same people complain about how the VS have the Orion, "the best LMG" when the MSW-R is identical in nearly every way (it has a lower muzzle velocity).
    • Up x 1
  11. Phrygen

dont touch the advance grip on the t16 and i'm ok with it... I like that the rhino has advance forgrip with flash supressor. Adding a compensator option is fine though.
  12. Cinnamon

T9 was not great for a fair amount of time because it was so inaccurate with side to side jitters that you could not effectively aim for the head at any decent range. Which meant that people said that TR was a "noob" empire because it was only good for aiming at centre of body mass and spraying wildly. But with the foregrip changes you can actually aim fairly decently with burst fire. Although why someone with access to other weapons would use a laser on it is beyond me.
    • Up x 1
  13. DaddyVinoBambini

I actually started with the TMG-50 when I began playing the game and I do enjoy it; it's just not my favorite and it hasn't been in my rotation for a few months (but I do break it out from time to time).

During daylight outdoor engagements, I've always preferred iron sights over any sort of magnified scope, it's just my preference. When the T16 got the model update I found it to be a better fit to that preference as my longer distance weapon due to the fine point iron sight. The TMG50 still shares the same iron sight as the CARV line, which I'm not a huge fan of. I use the CARV in the MID ranges where the HC/NV is still accurate and I can use the ROF to my advantage. The MSW-R is a fantastic close quarters weapon, but I find that it works very well at mid range as well.

I'm an older guy and my twitch isn't what it used to be 15-20 years ago, so it could be that the difficulty I have tracking enemies with magnification or at night using ultra graphics settings is what makes me seem odd; but I didn't build a nice machine to turn the settings down! I am between 20%-25% overall accuracy on all of the TR LMG's, with auraxis medal on several and battle rank in the 50's I think. I'm not sure how that measures up to the average player, if they are below the average stats then obviously take my opinions with a grain of salt!
  14. AdennTM

Yeah, I consider you an average player.

It's ok to disagree with what I said or have your own opinion. This thread was made to refute the other thread titled "TR LMGs are the worse".
  15. DaddyVinoBambini

Oh for sure. I actually didn't think I was disagreeing with you, was just more my take on the LMG's as well. I didn't mean to offend if that is what happened. Was just giving my thoughts on the CARV since I always read/hear from others about how terrible it is so I decided to give it a go and didn't understand where the complaint was after racking up 1200 kills. I actually ended up liking it enough to use it somewhat regularly. I don't take the game seriously enough to worry about using a "beginners" weapon, it's fun, I like the sound and ROF, so why not use it! But hey, at least i'm not an SMG Infiltrator or a Shotgun Light Assault! ;)

I definitely agree that the TR LMG's are fine as is for the most part.
    • Up x 1
  16. Stealth1

Good concise round up and nice subsequent discussion here :)

Personally, my go-to gun atm for HA is the T7 Minigun if there is going to be a mix of close-med-long range engagements. Its just fun to use, and somewhat under-appreciated imo. I only burst fire with it unless the situation warrants full-auto, ie plough through multiple enemies in CQC, MAX units, or if it'll be quicker to finish someone off.

Otherwise I resort to the T16 for medium to close-med and aim for the head.

Not a huge fan of the MSW-R. Have tried both foregrip and adv laser but the more frequent reloading just leaves you exposed too often for my liking.

T32 Bull doesn't seem to have a home, and I prefer the ROF of the Carv compared to extra attachments of the Carv-S. TMG-50 I can't comment on.

Overall, TR has a decent selection of LMG. Just use the right one in the right situation and play to their strengths.
  17. Ganelon

As someone with 64% playtime as the TR Heavy, I barely use LMGs anymore. TR LMGs have such ludicrous horizontal recoil that they're practically useless. They used to have an advantage at close range, but that eroded with the coming of shotguns and SMGs (which is what I'm using nowadays).

Also doesn't help that the nerfs imposed on the LMGs because of flinch were never reverted.
  18. DaddyVinoBambini

Yeah agree with you here - If you can have discipline to not hold down fire the CARV is much better than the S variant. I actually took the S variant to 1150 kills on principal since I bought it and ended up not being a huge fan, but I wanted that last medal!

I want to like the T32 because the similar handling and iron sight of my favorite (T16) and it also looks pretty cool after the model update, but the MSW-R does everything I'd use it for, and much better.
  19. LowTechKiller

Interesting. I picked up the NS15 while I was playing NC as a possible replacement to the SAW, which I didn't like. I loved it...except I couldn't kill as well with it. I could hit all day long, but not as many players were dying. Otherwise, it was great.

Are you saying that you like the NS15 more than the Bull/Rhino and the SVA-88? If that's the case, I think I'll have to stick with the Ursa on my VS HA.
  20. mpal

msw-r also has adv laser