New C4 damage to tanks + Video

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Haruk, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Rift23

1 guy driving and 1 guy c4-ing?
  2. Thrustin

Oh stew...you cute little french escargot. Dragging my name through the **** are we? Let just quickly inject here that the majority of my C4 kills are in fact, vehicles. The kill count doesn't include all the people who have ejected from the said vehicle or were reparing it before blowing them up.

Now, let me just again make my stance clear once and for all: I'm against a C4 nerf, I'm against a C4 cost increase, I do not mind tanks having a very well visible c4 armor as long as they have a fair trade off, like decreased AP damage resistance and as long as I can still gib them from behind, no matter what load out.

To all the people against the c4 armor. Think of it this way: This endless crying of C4 is not going to go away, and will only cause the devs to quickly bandaid fix the issue by nerfing C4. We are all better off by coming to a common solution.

To all the people for C4 nerf. Let us finally stop nerfing stuff, and instead buff other things so that they are on par? Like the proposed C4 armor, a buff to tanks.
    • Up x 1
  3. Post Morten

So many flawed assumptions here.

Listen kids, only a fool thinks tanks should be invulnerable to infantry. In fact, there's never been a period in time where infantry couldn't kill tanks with even standard equipment. In WW1, simply shooting a tank with your gun would cause lethal spalling, killing the vehicle occupants. In WW2, bundling together standard infantry grenades (a favourite tactic of the Germans) could take out a tank, not even counting the numerous disposable AT equipment infantry were issued with. Currently, disposable and incredibly cost-efficient infantry AT weapons and the existence of helicopters are close to rendering tanks obsolete.

Forgetting about real life for a moment, just from a balance point of view, having tanks being effectively immune to by far the least efficient AT action in the game is ******** in so many ways. Getting killed by C4 as a tank is the equivalent of getting knifed as a sniper, except much harder to execute as the offender. If you die to it, your lack of awareness/focus on camping simply got you outplayed.
    • Up x 1
  4. Crewell

Well said.

People arguing resource costs don't factor in all the items that typically pull from infantry resources on top of the 200 for two C4. They overlook the effort an infantry has to go through to kill a tank vs. the effort the tank requires. They overlook that 100-200 resources are easily lost on a failed assault.

Tank pilots should push for several things instead of nerfing C4.
    1. Fix drop pod renders. An infantry taking 5+ seconds to appear after his pod lands is unacceptable. I've died to this slow render many times (albeit not in a tank).
    2. Change top armor into a composite cert line. After all that line is to help against aerial targets shelling your tank so it's kind of an anti explosive line already.
  5. PyroPaul

They are balanced in price considering that infantry Resource is the most demanding resource in the game due to the fact that it is drawn upon by nearly every infantry disposable item we can get. Two C4 is by comparison a handful of grenades, Medpacks, Mines, or a MAX. What can you buy with Vehicle Resource? Another Vehicle... and that's it. To simply rely purely on the cost value of each with out taking into consideration the effective demand of each resource being compared shows a gross misunderstanding of the concept of balance between these two items.

and your definition of 'risk' is kinda convoluted at best...
    So much can go wrong getting up to a tank, and if the driver knows you're hovering above him simply applying reverse can cause the poorly thrown C4 trajectory to Miss the vehicle Entirely wasting the resource...

and with a statement 'minimal risk shouldn't grant kills' can be used to state that Tanks shouldn't be in the game because if you use know how, trajectory, and line of site to your advantage, you can Hit things that physically can not see nor directly hit you by any means what-so-ever. Providing absolutely no risk to ones-self yet producing kills.

it is the Skill required to put yourself Into these positions which is required to be considered.
    Knowing the exact placement of enemy positions, understanding the lay of the land, and using trajectory and round velocity to your advantage.
  6. Stew360

LOL man and you think we have to beleive you on your ( word ) ?

Also on 1433 + c4 you hit 230 time no matter how so even if all those hit were tanks it mean only 115 tanks for 143,300 ressources points even if all those were MBT it mean 51,750 vehicules ressources cost its almost only 1/3 of the ressources cost , ( also you only have 220 kills ) 220 kill 230 hit , required 2 hit to kill a mbt 3 to kill a sundy

At its max a c4 can grant you 5 to 8 infantry kills in a tower figth and normaly grant you from 1 to 2 kills MBT maxs infantry for 2 c4 bar ,

MBT worth : tons of certs , repair , kills , kdr , From 5 to 50 kills + speed + survivability ) Up to 2 players and it need a conter ( like c4 to kill them not damage them )

C4 worth : Only 1 to 2 kills ( generally ) , maximum 1 vehicules , 1 maxs for 1 or 2 c4 depending on if he ad the flak armor

next time try to make more sens when you reply to me

Instead of saying Hey i kill vehicules man , Yeah lets not nerf C4 lets buff others thing ,

BUFFING MBT WILL RESULT IN A C4 NERF , If i can kill a MBT with 2 C4 anymore its a nerf perdiod ...

If you Buff all infantry armor agains the ( gauss riffles ) is this will result in a gauss riffle nerf ? So why buffing the MBT armor ( agains c4 ) will not be consider as a nerf to you ? Silly is Silly
  7. Thrustin

Oh dear, stew. You are so cuddly when you get all riled up like that.
    • Up x 2
  8. NaySayer

All because tank drivers refuse to be situationally aware.....
  9. treeHamster

You can't do that because directional damage works by movement vector. C4 and AT mines don't have a movement vector in the sense that every other projectile in this game has.
  10. Blarg20011

well I'm sure they could figure... ah who am I kidding, this is SOE.
  11. treeHamster

C4, AT, and AP mines all use a special variant of indirect damage in application against vehicles. Against infantry, it works the same as other explosives. But when applied to vehicles, it is different. That's why you can place AT mines ON a tank and blow it up or half a meter away from a tank and still blow it up. It's because the splash from AT/C4 still applies to tanks. Every other explosive in this game doesn't do that.

So as I said, there really isn't a way to do "directional" damage with C4 or AT mines. The best you could do is change the game so there are weak points on vehicles where you get the multiplier instead of using directional damage based multipliers.

This would require an overhaul of all the vehicles in the game though.
  12. Blarg20011

An overhaul would be for the best though, the directional damage is stupid, just stupid. It shouldn't matter where I shoot something from, only where it hits. No idea why they decided to do it this way in the first place.
  13. treeHamster

Most likely because of rocket pods and Dalton fire. Hitting rockets on the rear side of tanks is VERY hard considering the crappy spread on the rocket pods. So they did it directionally to allow you to land rockets without sticking the rocket pods right next to the tank.
  14. Blarg20011

Still, those are exceptions to the rule that they could have solved more creatively, instead they just slapped on a band aid fix that negatively affects gameplay.
  15. treeHamster

• Up x 1
  16. Mythicrose12

Interesting you believe I am a Nova C-4 fairy that spends time at towers. I don't believe the hit counts are accurate either. That aside, let's clear something up. I am against an outright nerf to C-4 damage as was shown recently on the PTS. I am not against a certable defense for tanks. There is a distinct difference between the two methods to mitigate C-4 damage.
    • Up x 1
  17. MarlboroMan-E

No those things can kill you under a tree, too. You should probably just find a new game. Or a friend with a skyguard ... and not park under trees.
  18. RogueComet

I'm going to cry BS on that part I highlighted red. Two C4 will kill ONE VEHICLE. ONE, it is less than 1% of the time that you get more than one. Lets compare the damage potential for that ONE vehicle and 2 C4 shall we?
    One really stupid MBT pilot has stated time and time again he can constantly go on 40-60 person kill streaks... is that even possible to do with TWO BRICKS OF C4? HELL NO!
    Can two bricks of C4 kill even 5 vehicles? I know one MBT can, I've done it.
    Lets lower it, how often can two C4 kill two vehicles? Extremely rarely, yet a person of equal skill in an MBT can kill two vehicles in a much easier fashion.

Want to look at other inconsistencies for POTENTIAL between two bricks of C4 and an MBT?
    Can two bricks of C4 go back to an ammo tower and reload? NO, you have to grab NEW bricks of C4. Do you have any idea how long it takes to go back and get more C4 too? I know an MBT can do this quickly, I've done it.
    Can two bricks of C4 be repaired? I know an MBT can, I've done it.
    Can I miss with my C4 and get another chance? Sorry but no, yet an MBT can miss and have another chance to kill infantry.
    Can C4 automatically repair itself without me using an engineer gun? I know an MBT can.
    Can C4 make me take invulnerable to infantry small arms fire? I know an MBT can.
    Can C4 help me move faster? I know an MBT can.

You guys who can't see the potential is extremely lopsided between infantry and MBTs, are being extremely foolish in your behavior. MBTs have a massive leg up on infantry, nobody can argue against that. If they didn't nobody would get in and use them. MBTs SHOULD cost more resources than anything an infantry can do. Those of you who feel that it needs to be more balanced resource wise obviously don't have the insight to look beyond the end of your cannons and realize that life as an infantryman is nowhere near as easy as what you get.

Do I, as a Light Assault user, often get 2-shot kills with my main weapon like you do with your main cannons? No, impossible.
    Do I, as a Light Assault user, ever get a 40-60 person kill streak with my main weapon + C4 like you do? NEVER.
    Do I, as a Light Assault user, die more often than MBT pilots? YES, a hell of a lot more often.
    Is that death frustrating each and every time? YES.
    Is it too much to say that that frustration can be MORE than an MBT? HELL YES.

I am stuck constantly on the death screen waiting to be able to spawn, NOT PLAYING THE GAME. If you take and all all of that time that I'm sitting and NOT PLAYING THE GAME, waiting to be able to spawn, it easily will out weigh any level of frustration that dedicated MBT pilots experience from the hands of a C4 user.

Put it this way, do MBT pilots, have to deal with looking at a death/respawn screen for an average of 10 seconds out of every minute playing? NO you don't, yet infantry do. You see, if you did, that would mean you are dying so often in your MBT that you wouldn't have enough resources to pull it so I know for a fact that dedicated MBT pilots DON'T have to deal with that. Infantry have an average life less than two minutes. Considering the time it takes to die, the death screen, respawn time, we are easily losing 20 seconds every time that happens. Oh you got 8 kills in your MBT? That is 160 seconds of time, over two minutes, of gameplay that you denied infantry. You are making the game frustrating for them a hell of a lot more than they are making it for you. Kind of makes you guys seem like ******** when I think about it.

EVERYTHING in this game has the potential to be one-shot killed. EVERYTHING. Yeah, I've even set-up traps to one-shot galaxies and it worked, so even them. What makes you think you should be exempt? That's what you are asking for. MBTs should ALWAYS have the ability to be one-shot. Everyone has to deal with that, so what I'm saying to you guys now is....

[IMG]
    • Up x 3
  19. BigIronRanger

Eh so be it he is scum. but his K/D will come down a few whole numbers after this update watch. Thats sure to be enough to get him to stop to play.
  20. SuBs

Yes, it is completely imbalanced. One *INFANTRYMAN* should not be able to destroy a *MAIN BATTLE TANK* by himself. Especially if that infantryman isn't playing as a anti-vehicle class. What the hell is the point in a vehicle with the characteristics of a tank in the game if a lone squishy can go toe-to-toe with one?

Consider:

A tank's spawn timer.

Its resource cost.

The fact that it is a TANK, and characteristically should not be instantly destroyable by a single player.