Why does the Claymore suck so much compared to Bouncing Betty/Proximity Mine?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by KunzeWaldemar, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Nepau

Claymore does need tweaking. I do like how its unique from the other prox mines as being a directional blast ( you sit behind one and take little to no damage).

Perhaps they should keep the directional blast, but increase its distance and even its damage drop off a bit. Idea is simply that at max range it wont kill, but inside its trigger range to closer its going to kill you.

As a possible idea, Blast distance is 8m, Trigger distance is 5m. If you are close then 5m its going to kill you, even with flak. At 5m it will kill a non armored person with somewhat of a drop up to 8m.

Really I just want the TR to keep a unique mine design while making it more useful.
    • Up x 1
  2. SpcFarlen

Its the fact that Prox and Betty just dont have the limitation the Claymore does. Like in the video by Zoranthebear states, the claymore has the exact same range and damage of the two anti-personel mines yet can only deal its damage in a limited arch. There is no trade off and advantage in any stat given. So its uses are vastly limited to just covering a door when the others can be used in far more situations.

Im not opposed to having some asymmetric weaponry, there are Empire Specific weapons which i think add some lovely flavor to the game and give your choice on faction more weight than just i like "red/blue/purple". With that though there needs to be, as i stated, an advantage to some stat. Claymores have a limited arc, so extend the range of its damage to compensate. Its quite simple, and i really dont understand why it hasnt been done before when the stats are so blatantly obvious that the Prox and Betty are better than the Claymore.

PS. Also remove the lights on all AP mines, they are just silly.
    • Up x 1
  3. Mythicrose12

Same here when I come across a mine I failed to notice. Claymore will kill me through nanoweave 5. Prox mines and BBs leave me wounded. I notice the claymores the most when people want to place them like a prox mine or BB (i.e. middle of a doorway) instead of off to the side. The lasers don't help it by any means, but they're not always visible (especially if the claymore itself can't be directly seen).
  4. baka

I only use claymores incidentally anymore -- more often than not, the enemy sees them and shoots them well before someone actually triggers them.
    My thoughts on the Claymore are:

No laser whiskers - make the back of the Claymore flat black and have the front textured with the TR logo - add a glowing dot on the front to match up with the newer glowing areas on the other mines. If you see the pretty side, you might be in the area of damage.
    Direction of explosion faces the person planting the mine since you are holding it and placing it. Think about if you were actually setting one up - I want it in a corner, it can now be in a corner facing outward. If I want it against a wall, it can now be against a wall, firing outward. Optimally, placing a mine should have the same graphic as placing a turret - you see the mine image where it will go and you click to drop it.
    NO DRIFT when you place them. Dropping a claymore and watching it slide and rotate away from you is just wrong. Especially when you try to place it somewhere tricky and it decides it wants to be out in plain sight.
    A claymore should not have a longer damage area that the damage radius of the other mines (though if it did have a larger damage area, there should be a faster falloff of damage past the range of the other mines). The Claymore is a shaped charge and should have substantially more damage within the same rage of the other mine. Barring this, the resource cost should be halved and the number of mines carried doubled since it will take more mines to achieve the same potential damage.
    • Up x 1
  5. Loegi

How? In any situation that the Claymore would be effective, the Proximity mine or Betty would be exactly as effective. And those 2 have more that add to their lethality.
    • Up x 2
  6. Ganelon

They're more lethal due to their lesser visibility and 360 radius. Claymore has absolutely nothing over Bouncing Betties or Proximity mines.
    Now, if they had something special that would increase their efficiency based on the skill of the player, you might be right. Sadly, Claymores don't have that.
    • Up x 2
  7. IamDH

AHAHAHAHA

• Up x 1
  8. YuanrangJA

You think 20 thousand kills less per hour on average means it is equally lethal? Please, check the overall stats. The Bouncing Betty and Proximity mine is THAT much more lethal. Here are some stats from the link I quoted.

Overall stats:

Proximity Mine: 2,394,775 kills, 33.766% accuracy, 32,493 players using them
    Bouncing Betty: 2,087,272 kills, 36.538% accuracy, 34,614 players using them
    Claymore: 1,345,359 kills, 26.356% accuracy, 30,908 players using them

Source:
    http://ps2-stats.com/weapon/infantrytype/explosive/all/overall
  9. NinjaTurtle

10. kmike

In its current state, claymore should cost 1/6 of other mines in resources, since its area of effect is about 60 degrees vs 360 degrees for other mines.
  11. Stride

I forgot where I read this but I did look these stuff up once and basically the claymore has faster trigger time and a larger range in the direction it faces.

Basically, claymores sacrifice their visual subtlety to give players a much better chance to get kills where they aim them.

Now I don't think the claymore is a real problem rather the way people are able to use a Proxy and BB so sloppily. Even though I myself have certed into proxy mines I find it too easy to get kills simply by running toward players and dropping procies in their faces especially when pushed back into spawns.

I think the best fix would be for Proximity mines and BB to have a longer placement time similar to ammo packs as well as a visual cue similar to grenades for those within line of site. This would insure mines are used for strategic placement rather than short range super grenades.
  12. Makora

practice shows that range and damage are the same. But even then, I'd be totally OK with it IF I could do some really nifty things with it. First things first, get rid of the lasers and replace them with pulsating dots like on VS proxy mines. Second thing, make it attachable to all surfaces. With the same "ghost" overlay showing where you can stick it. On floors it stands up like normal, but on walls and ceilings it is places flat against it with the explosive side facing you.
    That way i could REALLY do some nice things with it. Time permitting. Stick it to walls at odd heights, or even ceilings and the top of doorways.

Fun fact, mines occasionally fall a bit through the floor while still being deadly. I have actually seen the three glowing dots on a proxy but been unable to shoot it because it was partially under the floor. Seen the same with a claymore but the top of it always stick out so you can disarm it.
    • Up x 1
  13. Ranik

You forgot where you read this because it isn't true.
  14. kmike

Have you seen the video in the first post?
  15. Goretzu

For some reason NC have grenades that are as "underpowered" as Claymores. :confused: